Has BP left the gas retailing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple years ago the Shells all switched to BP in my local area. The same weekend I won a $100 gas card from Gasbuddy and they sent me Shell cards. One small town has two BPs but they don't use the same gas supplier.

In Spain they are alive and well, i only use BP 98 Ultimate in my Capri because it has no ethanol their 98 RON gas ia also cheaper than other gas stations around here at about 6-7 USD a Gallon

There used to be a ton of BPs in this area. I can now think of only six on our regular routes of travel. You'd pass that many Speedways here in just a few miles. There were three nearby BPs that are now closed that we used to use on a regular basis. BP has long offered deals tied to its branded Visa that made the fuel less costly net than the gross pump price, so we used BP fuel when feasible.
There are still BP locations at most interstate exits in Ohio but their presence in general in this market has declined.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I think they lost a lot of customers with the gulf spill.

Maybe so, although the station closures to which I referred happened well before the Deepwater Horizon event.
People also seem not to understand that refining is a regional business and you have no way of knowing where the crude from which the gasoline you're filling your car came from just as you cannot know who produced it or refined it into fuel.
Spills and environmental damage are an inevitable part of petroleum production and use and disasters have not been limited to BP.
The Gulf oil business has also long been a more stable and higher wage generator of employment than either fishing or tourism.
BP also paid out generously in the billions of dollars to compensate those with often tenuous claims.
If I'd have had some Gulf Coast property at the time, I could have cashed in as well just as everyone else did.

BP alive and well here in South Carolina and I have many in my area. (and the rest of the country, read on)
AS a general rule in my area, they always have great prices on gas and premium gas is priced well. WAY better then Shell stations here.

Anyway, almost every gas station is part of a franchise. Fuel companies rarely if ever own the stations.
I suspect in the areas that have gone to Conoco/Phillips some smart negotiating on gas contracts won over the franchises from BP to Phillips.

As much as I like BP, lets say hurray for the home team! Phillips is an American owned company and largest independent petroleum company in the world, your dollars stay in the USA as they are based in Houston Texas... I can only suspect they are making a BIG play on acquiring fuel contacts with major franchise holders in the USA.

Last edited:

Nothing to do with the spill, nothing to do with "supply chain".

Just like dairy farms compete to supply Walmart with milk.
Fuel companies compete to supply gas station franchises with fuel. Based on this thread it simply looks as though Conoco/Phillips has made a play and won some contracts over from BP.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Nothing to do with the spill, nothing to do with "supply chain".

Just like dairy farms compete to supply Walmart with milk.
Fuel companies compete to supply gas station franchises with fuel. Based on this thread it simply looks as though Conoco/Phillips has made a play and won some contracts over from BP.
That may be true today but at the time of the spill....

Time to scrap BP brand? Gas station own... back customers

The BP brand was very rare in California, but they owned the ARCO (formerly Atlantic Richfield) brand for a long time. The refineries and ARCO brand was sold to Tesoro. I have heard that the Castrol brand may also be for sale. This sounds a little like ConocoPhillips getting out of the refining and marketing side of the business. Phillips 66 is the spin-off company. I'm a BP stockholder and wonder if the dividend is safe now, as is was suspended after the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

BP is a dying brand in this area. What once was a common brand (Amoco) was typically supplied from a refinery in North Dakota and an Amoco branded terminal in the twin cities. When the sale to BP happened, BP sold the refinery to Tesoro, and the terminal handling the fuel now flies a terminal brand instead of the Amoco Brand. BP brand gas refined at Whiting, IN can still be delivered to this market.

Their stations are older and independently owned. They suffered from a lack of investment in recent years. More recently, many old BP stations are becoming Shell stations in this market.

The Whiting In refinery uses that Canada tar sand oil. That has to be pretty cheap compared to the $50 a bbl WTI.

Plenty of BP stations still here in Northern Ohio. In fact a lot of other gas station like Valero and Sunoco have been switched over to BP.

I've noticed in the last year that there was a reshuffling of gas station franchises in Portland; one of the people in management at WSCO Petroleum which has brands under 76, Shell and Chevron plus their house brand, Astro told me that there was some franchise changes that resulted in brand flipping; some ARCO stations after BP sold the brand became oddly either independent or to Mobil brand, which is new to this area.

Shell is long gone in New Zealand, stations now rebranded Z (zed). Z have now taken over Caltex stations because Chevron pulled out. And now Caltex Australia has bought out Gull. Gull is an Australian owned stand alone company importing it's own fuel, and set fuel prices in any area it's in...they have the lowest fuel prices forcing the others to compete. Australian Caltex is keeping them Gull, as Z are keeping Caltex branding. The question is, will Gull continue to set the lowest prices, or will they just join in with the others.The strange world of fuel.

Definitely not in Australia!!

Announced today: BP has purchased all Woolworths/Caltex co-branded petrol stations nation wide for $1.78b AUD.

link

I'd say that's as firm a commitment as any to retail sales
wink.gif

Regards
Jordan

I actually have some insight on this as I work for a company hat has bought many of bp pipelines and terminals. Private pipeline owners can set tariffs high enough that makes it impractical for another company to ship gas through the lines. Since bp has been selling off lines and terminals to companies that do not own refineries these companies can change the tariffs if they want to make is feasible for other brands to use the pipeline.

The section of pipeline at is my responsibility now is still feed from pipeline and refineries belonging to bp so that is the reason that most of the stations in the area are bp stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back