Replace rear drums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve gone through a few (maybe 4) sets of front brake pads on my 2010 Civic Coupe (88,000 miles). I live in a hilly area. How many pad changes occur relative to shoe changes on automobiles. Do you think I should just go ahead a replace the original rear drums and shoes now and be done with it for the life of this car? Rust or an accident will probably kill it before the engine or tranny goes.

Last edited:
No hurt in checking them for thickness, but likely still good. I am still on my originals at 138k miles, I have put off checking them, but no weird noises or anything. I will probably have them done at 150k miles...

I would keep running the factory drums if they are good. I find once that stuff gets replaced you don't get the service from the new parts that you did from the factory stuff. My ex had an 06 Civic coupe, she did not put a lot of miles on that car, I did the brakes last summer and I would think by looking at them that they were still original. The fronts had been changed before obviously.

I vote leave them until you can't.

I would take the drums off and look at the shoes. If there is still a decent amount of material left put it back together and forget about it. You could probably find Honda's minimum shoe thickness and measure what you have.

Agree with inspecting....the fronts do 80% or more of the braking; years ago I replaced the fronts on a small car at 150k, rears still looked new.

I never changed the rears on my 2001 Civic after 227k. Disclaimer: that car was about 85% highway miles. Shoes were fine when I got rid of it.

Problem with replacing drums is it's hard to get any quality (unless you fork over $$$ for OEM), a good cleaning with Brakleen & adjusting them is generally all they need, unless you're a big time stop & go driver. Rear discs seem to be a different story, though!

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Check and make sure the adjuster is still working and freed up. Others have pretty well said all that is needed

+1

I have only replaced one set of shoes and one drum.

And that wasn't due to them being worn out it was because some dirt got into the drum on one side causing the shoe to stick and wear strangely, it quickly caused a groove to be worn into the inside of the drum.

Annoyingly the drum came with the rear wheel bearing in situ and could only be bought from Renault, can't remember the price, I think it was £80 a side

Everyone else hit the nail on the head. If the brakes are not pulsating, and the rear drums are still within spec, KEEP THEM. They can last a long time, and they are way better than almost any replacement drum you will find. IF the drum looks good, do a shoe slap, adjust, and lubricate everything up.

I often wonder if the reason many people never have to change their rear brakes is because they've never checked the adjusters.

Pull off the drums and check how they're doing. Chances are they're rusted to the hub.

Get a wire brush attachment for your drill and clean up the drums. Then get a can of caliper/drum paint and paint them so they don't get even rustler. Some antiseize on the center of the hub would help too.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Pull off the drums and check how they're doing. Chances are they're rusted to the hub.

Get a wire brush attachment for your drill and clean up the drums. Then get a can of caliper/drum paint and paint them so they don't get even rustler. Some antiseize on the center of the hub would help too.

So I'm in the rust belt. My fear is that trying to pull the drums will be a real PITA. Any tips in getting them off?

Have you done a search, see if there is a DIY on how to do Honda drums? Not being a smart-butt here. On my Toyota's (and I'd kinda expect your Honda to be similar) there are a pair of screw holes in the drum (and rotors) which a metric bolt can be threaded in. Tighten the bolts down in an alternating pattern, and eventually they will pop off. Maybe you'll get lucky, and Honda did the same thing.

Otherwise, it's time for the penetrating fluid, large 3 jaw puller, maybe heat, and a big hammer.

Originally Posted By: supton
Have you done a search, see if there is a DIY on how to do Honda drums? Not being a smart-butt here. On my Toyota's (and I'd kinda expect your Honda to be similar) there are a pair of screw holes in the drum (and rotors) which a metric bolt can be threaded in. Tighten the bolts down in an alternating pattern, and eventually they will pop off. Maybe you'll get lucky, and Honda did the same thing.

Otherwise, it's time for the penetrating fluid, large 3 jaw puller, maybe heat, and a big hammer.

I'm aware of the bolt holes in the drums and rotors. My concern is that after all these years there is will be a lip on the drum making it difficult to pull off.

Originally Posted By: greasegunn
I'm aware of the bolt holes in the drums and rotors. My concern is that after all these years there is will be a lip on the drum making it difficult to pull off.

Do they have adjusters? If so, back them off first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back