Vegemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
USPS just delivered my vegemite from Amazon. Very unique taste. I kinda liked it. It does taste salty though.
Does this make me an honorary Aussie or Kiwi for the day??
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Are your palms hairy yet ?

Seriously, congrats on your purchase. Bask in its awesomness.

Looking forward to trying it in some recipes as the article in SR5's post above suggests!

if you are making a pan gravy with a chicken or lamb roast, throw in a dessert spoon just as it's nearly finished...it will brown up wonderfully.

When I've finished a jar of Vegemite, I pour in hot water, give it a shake, then put it in whatever I'm cooking....except desserts.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
After reading the thread, I'd like to try some of this stuff.

Since a kid, I've craved what I now realize is unami. I loved the salty, concentrated, deep, beefy/oniony/garlicy/veggy/roasted flavors I would only occasionaly find. Demi-glace was a revelation and became a key ingredient when I wanted to deepen a sauce, stew or chili. Top resturants know all about demi and always have it on hand as they make it from scratch. That's why their food, sauces & stews are known for a very deep, rich, amooth flavor that's "too die for".

Vegemite sounds like it would have a lot of these flavors, in a very salty concentrated form, which is a flavor I seek!

Not being a tool or trying to be the grammar police or anything. Just as an FYI so you get it right when speaking of it. It is umami with an M.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Are your palms hairy yet ?

Seriously, congrats on your purchase. Bask in its awesomness.

This cracked me up, as it was well known when I was a boy that a male engaging in self-pleasure would end up having hair grow on the palm of the hand used. Quite a useful myth to propagate if you wanted to discourage boys from engaging in such activity...

I have long been fascinated by vegemite (even before Men At Work) and it is probably high time that I try some. It would probably be worth it just to see the looks of disgust on the faces of my wife and daughter...even sushi will set them off. Wish they could have seen me eating chicken feet and sea slug!

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
After reading the thread, I'd like to try some of this stuff.

Since a kid, I've craved what I now realize is unami. I loved the salty, concentrated, deep, beefy/oniony/garlicy/veggy/roasted flavors I would only occasionaly find. Demi-glace was a revelation and became a key ingredient when I wanted to deepen a sauce, stew or chili. Top resturants know all about demi and always have it on hand as they make it from scratch. That's why their food, sauces & stews are known for a very deep, rich, amooth flavor that's "too die for".

Vegemite sounds like it would have a lot of these flavors, in a very salty concentrated form, which is a flavor I seek!

Not being a tool or trying to be the grammar police or anything. Just as an FYI so you get it right when speaking of it. It is umami with an M.

You are indeed correct sir!
No worries!

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Been wanting to try Vegemite for years. This thread just put me over the edge. Amazon order placed.

Originally Posted By: car51
thanks for the info as I ordered some off Amazon to try

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I ordered some from Amazon as well.

I will be interested to hear what you all think.

Already had it twice today. Once on toast for breakfast and then with some sandwiches for lunch. I like the taste. Even my 1.5 year old ate it. Can't wait to have more.

question (please don't make fun of me): is this gluten-free?
amazon ingredient list says it may not

i have a celiac in the family, and the list of B vitamins it provides may be good (if gluten-free)

much appreciated

Originally Posted By: pandus13
is this gluten-free?

From https://www.vegemite.com.au/faq:

Quote:
Q.11 Is VEGEMITE gluten free?

A. Some of the key ingredients of VEGEMITE are malt extract derived from barley and yeast extract, from yeast grown on barley and wheat, therefore it is not gluten free.

However, see also this statement from Coeliac UK:

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/about-us/news/yeast-extract-update/

Salty is an understatement and I actually love salty stuff. It was so salty it was inedible.

Sounds like you may have tried having too much of it, at least for starters.

Salty is an understatement and I actually love salty stuff. It was so salty it was inedible.

taste is a personal matter.
you like a good pickled cabbage/kimchi.
NHHEMI maybe not.

is this gluten-free?

From https://www.vegemite.com.au/faq:
Quote:
Q.11 Is VEGEMITE gluten free?
A. Some of the key ingredients of VEGEMITE are malt extract derived from barley and yeast extract, from yeast grown on barley and wheat, therefore it is not gluten free.

However, see also this statement from Coeliac UK:
https://www.coeliac.org.uk/about-us/news/yeast-extract-update/

Thank you QP, back to the drawing board. i will hold-off of that.

taste is a personal matter.

But it's not just that. I took everyone's advice and slowly eased into this vegemite thing by applying barely any of it to a piece of bread. Then slowly increased the amount the next time I had it, but I still use very little, in general. Now, if I just treated it like a jar of peanut butter and stuffed a spoonful of vegemite in my mouth, I'm fairly certain it would have been unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back