Bypassing admin restrictions on work computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Given your history of computer questions in this forum, I'd say if it working, don't touch it. Leave it be.

Huge +1.

daves66nova, please don't take it the wrong way, but based on all your prior posts/issues related to computers, the above is really the best advice.
ok. I just wish I got this kind of response on my other questions. no more replys please, I got the message. Thanks to all.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Given your history of computer questions in this forum, I'd say if it working, don't touch it. Leave it be.

Huge +1.

daves66nova, please don't take it the wrong way, but based on all your prior posts/issues related to computers, the above is really the best advice.
ok. I just wish I got this kind of response on my other questions. no more replys please, I got the message. Thanks to all.

I hope I didn't come across too harsh. I really want to see you succeed. There are so many down-sides as others have pointed out. Downsides both technical and potentially career limiting.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to document the problems you have and leave it those responsible to resolve them.

Win 7. Is there an easy way to temporarily bypass admin restrictions on a work computer? The reason that I want to do this, is so that I can update all the drivers that are outdated. The admins are based out of Ft Worth, and they don't like to do those types of updates. I'm the amateur admin here in my office.

Kudos for you on taking initiative. I would suggest installing a VM of your choice, then you can play with it all day long. Do not expect your IT department to be very helpful though.

I'd leave it, a good friend taught me if the drivers are working well, leave them alone. As far as messing with a work machine, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole unless it was my job........

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Win 7. Is there an easy way to temporarily bypass admin restrictions on a work computer? The reason that I want to do this, is so that I can update all the drivers that are outdated. The admins are based out of Ft Worth, and they don't like to do those types of updates. I'm the amateur admin here in my office.

Kudos for you on taking initiative. I would suggest installing a VM of your choice, then you can play with it all day long. Do not expect your IT department to be very helpful though.

It isn't easy getting a VM installed without admin access; both because most (all?) VM software will require a conventional installation (as opposed to being "portable", containing the executable and all required libraries in a directory from which the application is run... Like http://www.vbox.me/ claims to be able to do) and because most (all?) have kernel drivers that'll most certainly require admin access to get going; without which the VM may run slow as molasses.

ALRIGHT!!! ALRIGHT ALREADY! ! EVERBODY STILL HAS TO THROW THEIR 2 CENTS IN. I GOT IT!! IM SORRY I ASKED LESSON LEARNED!! 2 PAGES OF THE SAME SHOULD BE ENOUGH DONT YOU THINK?!?!

You can try to reboot and go to safe mode. Tap F8 when the computer reboots before the Win7 startup screen. Once you are there you can run on the command line:

net user Administrator /ACTIVE.

Reboot then login using local Administrator user and correct the drivers.

Originally Posted By: razel
You can try to reboot and go to safe mode. Tap F8 when the computer reboots before the Win7 startup screen. Once you are there you can run on the command line:

net user Administrator /ACTIVE.

Reboot then login using local Administrator user and correct the drivers.

...no.

Can't see any problems letting some person have administrative rights messing with drivers.....

It's really funny you even want to achieve it by means of bypassing security restrictions. I don't think you want to play those games.

Reminds me of college. We were privileged with linux xubuntu. And sure enough you'd have kids who don't know what they were doing using sudo commands. It gets instantly carbon copied to the Computer Science department's own IT/Admin guy. Depending on the seriousness of the sudo command could either yield a warning, kicked out of the department, or kicked out of the college altogether.

I guess your best case scenario is what others have posted: request access from IT or request they do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Reminds me of college. We were privileged with linux xubuntu. And sure enough you'd have kids who don't know what they were doing using sudo commands. It gets instantly carbon copied to the Computer Science department's own IT/Admin guy. Depending on the seriousness of the sudo command could either yield a warning, kicked out of the department, or kicked out of the college altogether

On a somewhat related note to this, I have a couple of inherited Silicon Graphics workstations in my office. All have asset tags(and most were over $10K new, which means that they get inventoried annually) so I'm really only a caretaker of them. MIPS-powered SGI software run the SGI Irix OS, which is a BSD Unix derivative albeit with a nice(functional, not fancy) GUI.

In any case, the first one I got-and the only operational one-is an Octane. It has three software packages on it that still get occasional use, which is the main reason why I maintain it. One guy wanted data off of it, but fortunately he brought his own SCSI DVD burner so I didn't have to hunt one down and got his data transferred without too much trouble. All that aside, when I first took custody of the computer it had three user accounts. Two of the people were still here, but couldn't remember their passwords.

Of course, that's not uncommon, and since I use BSD Unix daily(albeit not generally from the command line) I planned on it being an easy fix in single user mode. Unfortunately, the computer was locked down tightly enough that I needed the root password to access SUM. The professor who bought the computer is dead and we couldn't find it in his notes anywhere, so I was afraid for a while that I was up a creek. Fortunately, I found an SGI/Irix forum and the good folks there walked me through the rather complicated process of resetting the root password. It has been a while, but I think I had to manually jumper a spot on the mainboard and then boot the Irix installer from its tape(thank goodness I had that, along with a working drive). Once that was changed, I managed to get the password reset on the other accounts, albeit with my fingers getting too fast since I'm used to using BASH and the only shell Irix has is TCSH...from a practical perspective it just meant that I had to look up the syntax for every command. This is a computer that was not MEANT to be accessed by anyone but an administrator.

As for Sudo-I'm not as much of a command line wiz as I'd like to be. When I use a Sudo command I make darn sure I understand both the command itself and every single flag that's on it. That's on a personally owned computer too-certainly not a work computer. Fortunately, my work doesn't care if I bring my own, and I'm happy about that.

On a large Macintosh-centered website, I once made a joke about typing Sude rm /. -rf and someone actually did it(even though my post was clearly in humor). That person was MAD, but it was a good reminder to make absolutely sure you understand commands. Fortunately, most Mac users don't even know about the command line(terminal) and it's well enough protected in normal mode(not SMU, which most folks aren't even aware exists, much less knowing how to access it) and the engineers are good enough about protecting the important stuff behind a sudo command. I think Ubuntu-with its growing reputation as the easy to use Linux distro-does the same.

Someone else who works in Enterprise IT chiming in here. I work Deskside Support. All drivers have to be vetted (as someone mentioned above) by a higher group, for the same reason software has to be vetted, and why most enterprises run outdated versions of common software like Chrome, and PGP. Don't mess with it. If you have a NEED for drivers to be updated, put in a ticket to your IT department and if they deem it necessary they will reach out to you. If you do not have an administrator account and have not been given the local admin credentials, you are not an "amateur admin" you are a user, and should defer to your IT department.

I see far too many problems caused by users who are too smart for their own good, and try to bypass the IT department and end up causing more work for us in the end to fix the mess that was created.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
you are not an "amateur admin" you are a user,

Come clean, Nick R: Being in support, you call users "lusers", don't you.
coffee2.gif

Someone else who works in Enterprise IT chiming in here. I work Deskside Support. All drivers have to be vetted (as someone mentioned above) by a higher group, for the same reason software has to be vetted, and why most enterprises run outdated versions of common software like Chrome, and PGP. Don't mess with it. If you have a NEED for drivers to be updated, put in a ticket to your IT department and if they deem it necessary they will reach out to you. If you do not have an administrator account and have not been given the local admin credentials, you are not an "amateur admin" you are a user, and should defer to your IT department.

I see far too many problems caused by users who are too smart for their own good, and try to bypass the IT department and end up causing more work for us in the end to fix the mess that was created.
Read my post ,6 posts before yours. Gotta get your 2 cents in too ?!?!

Read my post ,6 posts before yours. Gotta get your 2 cents in too ?!?!

Sorry about that, I only read through the first page of comments, my mistake.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
you are not an "amateur admin" you are a user,

Come clean, Nick R: Being in support, you call users "lusers", don't you.
coffee2.gif

No, I don't. I take my job seriously. There are certain repeat offenders who are furstrating, but getting upset with them won't accomplish anything.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Gotta love the users who know just enough to be dangerous

we really don't know OP's know-how level , so let's be adults...

back to BITOG:

how is your Yaris getting old?
is your's stock or did you apply anything?
do you still like it?
what tires do you like on it? (do you practice the all-season/winter tires change?)
mine is the '08 stock, pacific blue and just made 50k miles....i just changed the oil (trough the tube with a pump) and some 2.5 qt of atf with Valvoline Max

much appreciated

You one of them????

I've been in IT over 20 years, so no, I'm pretty far from it.

I was addressing the post above mine, not you specifically. I already said my piece to you.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

we really don't know OP's know-how level , so let's be adults...

back to BITOG:

how is your Yaris getting old?
is your's stock or did you apply anything?
do you still like it?
what tires do you like on it? (do you practice the all-season/winter tires change?)
mine is the '08 stock, pacific blue and just made 50k miles....i just changed the oil (trough the tube with a pump) and some 2.5 qt of atf with Valvoline Max

much appreciated

My yaris is boringly reliable as it ages. But it's noisy, I have a small exhaust leak right before the muffler. It's nothing more than mildly annoying so I'm just going to leave it for now. I'm sure this winter will open it up enough for me to have to fix it.

It's 100% stock except for the radio and speakers.

Yes I still like it, it's my runabout

I have Kumho Solus AT11s on all 4 corners. They're a good fit for the little car. I don't bother with snow tires, the car handles good enough for me in snow.

I'm at about 6k in on a 10k run of mobile 1. The car still doesn't burn a drop. I do an ATF drain and flush with Maxlife yearly.

Being just a point-a-to-point-b kinda guy, I'd get another one of these in a heartbeat...in the 100k I've owned the car I've replaced the rear shocks, exhaust flange, and water pump. Seriously low maintenance.

Oh, and it's still on the original brakes.

The answer is no, but these drivers should show up in Windows optional updates and you may be able to install it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back