How Find FRESH Premium 92oct, Ethanol Free Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem finding ethanol free 92 octane fuel in my area. But it does cost around 90 cents a gallon more than premium fuel with 10% ethanol.

Given the price of the fuel, and the fact that 92oct gas is not that popular, I am thinking that turnover in the storage tank will be much slower than for a high volume fuel like 87oct with ethanol.

How can I be sure that the ethanol free 92oct fuel I buy is fresh?
Is there a DIY test kit available ?

Talk to the manager of the station you patronize. Also, it may be helpful to know what vehicle you're so worried about.

I have purchased premium 93 gas (well, all my gas really) from Costco because they are Top Tier certified and have tremendous turnover. One manager I talked to said they've taken in as many as six tankers a day. Of course, they do use E10 like just about everyone here in corn country. But, I've never had the first issue with fuel in the ten years or so I've been buying Costco.

You do realize that ethanol is an octane enhancer, don't you?

Last edited:
It will take longer for pure gas to go bad.If you are buying 10 gallons a week and I am sure the young hotrod/import car groups are using it,its most likely fine. Try get in touch with the driver who delivers it and ask them.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Talk to the manager of the station you patronize. Also, it may be helpful to know what vehicle you're so worried about. ..

I'm not worried. I simply prefer fresh fuel over stale fuel for my equipment. The fuel will be in storage over the next 3-12 months.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you'd pay nearly 50% more per gallon for E0.
Not too many people are so if you want fresh fuel, buy the E10.
WRT how quickly the fuel "goes bad" there are a whole bunch of factors involved and ethanol content isn't one of them.

You need to shop around.

Two stations near me offer 87 "real gas"

Citgo is like a $.75 higher than E10, them are premium prices.

FS is like $.20 higher than E10. reasonable.

E10 Gasohol is just spiked 85 octane [censored] gas... you basically loose BTU's over the real stuff. 5w-30 motor oils are not all the same, and neither is "87".

Last edited:
Not going to happen out here except at airports and the race track. Airports can no longer sell to non-aircraft drive-up's in Kalif Kollective ... The race track is ridiculously expensive
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: duckboy55
anyone know where to buy cheap and fresh ethanol free gas in Texas?

Well, since Texas is such a SMALL state I guess it doesn't matter what city you need it in?
grin.gif

I used to use this app on my phone when I lived in the Dallas area. I was up in the Oklahoma City area pretty often and they had plenty of E0 gasoline at many stations.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AutoLean.puregas&hl=en

if it's fuel for storage you need, then i'd go the other route and just treat the gas with stabil or something.

Ive been using regular ethanol gas stored in a 5 gal can for years. Between the snowblower and lawnmower. Right now Im using the same gas that the blower was using in FEB. Snowblower started on 1st pull and so many months later the lawnmower still starts on the 1st pull. Just a little stabil in the gas is all I use.I dont understand the problems people have with the ethanol gas. I have yet to experience any and wont go out of my way to fine "pure" gas.

go out of your way---------------?
Both my kids go to school in VA---There are several ethanol-free stations in Harrisonburg VA--when I visit them I fill 5 - 5 gallon containers with 93 ethanol free to bring back home and use in the older Corvette & OPE. I don't even look at the price/gallon anymore, it doesn't matter
Steve

Pure gas should not be any more expensive than e10, I am sure it is the same price or maybe even cheaper to produce.

Anyone here considered LPG (Propane, correct?) for their cars? Supposedly even higher octane, much cheaper, although conversion cost, up to 30% economy loss and the usual price of the stuff is the deciding factor in viability. As far as I know, they can't put ethanol in it either.

Are the E10 fuels going to be like the "new" synthetic oils in terms of wives-tales? Simply that different formulation will exasperate a fuel system that is already on the weak side?

Propane prices fluctuate more than gas. It went from $1.50 per gal to $5.00 per gal a couple years ago here. So cheaper I dont know about that.With very few places to fill you tank I dont know how practical it would be. With the amount of natural gas we have in the country it would be nice if we could have a dual fuel vehicle gasoline or gas (natural). I would think new vehicles could be made that way, but this is off topic in this thread.

Here, we don't have a lot of fluctuation, per se, with propane lately, but the differences between stations can be alarming, 50%+ more at some places. It's not as practical as it used to be, with fewer stations selling it. However, it was under consideration for my old F-150.

Propane cost me $1.45 in 2012, $1.25 in 2013, $1.40 in 2014, $0.85 in 2015, and $0.95 this year.

I think the widest spread I've seen (when prices were steady, not during a time of change) was when one place had it around 70 cents per litre and another had it well over $1 a litre. Yeesh. Part of the problem these days is getting it twenty-four hours. When taxis were all on LPG, it wasn't an issue. Now, it might be very difficult to get it after 9:00 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back