Tribochemistry III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Let's let the general BITOG population research this question and supply the missing 4 words:

The primary cause of varnish is ____________ _____________ ___ _________
which are primarily oxidized hydrocarbon molecules.

These species goes through surface aggregation and further surface reaction processes to form varnish.

Last edited:
degenerated lubricant oil species.

Now can someone please tell me what I just said?
smile.gif

degraded oil?

Paulri, Yeah, I'm looking for words with the correct number of letters to define oxidized oil also. .... "insoluble soft contaminant oxidation byproducts" ...but that doesn't fit.

Last edited:
I have been learning bits and pieces by researching for answers to some of the trivia questions. I woulda never thunk that static discharge could be a source of varnish in hydraulic systems. Wow!
Wonder if there are any conditions in an ICE lube systems that are severe enough to cause static buildup/discharge?

linky is to http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/Tech...HydraulicFilter
if you want to know before you go.

Last edited:
brightwork-obsessed boat owners?

polymerised oil-oxidation products?

thermal oii-degradation products?

cavitation-induced breakdown products?

Are hyphens OK?

Last edited:
polymerised thermal degradation products?

etc.

Bit hard to see how there can be "a" right answer to this, though there'll maybe be a "best" answer, and some wrong answers.

Oh wait. Didn't notice the letter number is specified. Embarrassed now.
blush.gif

Last edited:
So if its 11/13/3/9 (? those wee dashes are hard to count) best I can do so far is

Polymerised autocatalysed/autocatalytic oil fragments OR

thermolytic autocatalysed oil fragments

But those won't be right, since the first two really describe processes rather than product, (and oil degradation is primarily oxidative rather than thermolytic.)

something something ion particles?

I think Saturn once had a varnish problem with a charge developing in the synthetic filters for the hydrollic(?) oil of their robots.

Originally Posted By: paulri

smile.gif

degraded oil?

Congrats!

The process of varnish formation starts out with the degradation of various lubricant oil species. The degration is accerelated by heat, moisture, and the exhaustion of the additive's anti-oxidants.

Varnish can also be formed by fuel components in gasoline engines see post #530850 in:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/530841/1/Lacquer_and_Varnish

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: paulri

smile.gif

degraded oil?

Congrats!

The process of varnish formation starts out with the degradation of various lubricant oil species. The degration is accerelated by heat, moisture, and the exhaustion of the additive's anti-oxidants.

Varnish can also be formed by fuel components in gasoline engines see post #530850 in:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/530841/1/Lacquer_and_Varnish

Er..."species" has 7 letters. Am I mis-counting 9 dashes for the last word?

"lubricant" has 9 letters. Am I mis-counting 13 dashes for the second word?

"degenerated" has 11 letters. Check (though degraded would be more usual.Never seen degration used as a word, as above. Typo?)

"oil" has 3 letters. Check. No argument there.

Last edited:
There were no count of letters, just individual words to complete the sentence. I'll try to delineate in the future.

I attempt to use individual hyphens if the exact amount of letters are needed.

The problem with BITOG is it tends to merge clusters of hyphens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back