Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil filter at low price

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about making the switch to Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters and came across the seller SAE-Auto on Ebay. They have a large variety of these filters that they sell in 6 packs. The cost usually works out to under $ 5.00 per filter shipping included. Very good price for quality filter. My big concern is could these be bootleg? Thoughts?

I ordered one XG16 last night for $7.43 delivered just to check it out. The price for six was a little over $28. delivered. If my trial filter turns out OK then I will order 6 next time.

I got my most recent Fram Ultra from Amazon for $6.55, with free shipping and $1 off coupon, since I subscribed to it.

Based on my subscription, filter should run around $7 + tax each delivery. I can cancel at anytime if they decide to raise the price.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
I bought 6 FU from that site and they were legit. About 4 mo ago.

How do you know they are legit?

I bought 12 filters from SAE-AUTO on ebay for $56 shipped. Its a $12 filter at any local store but turns out to be less than $5 from SAE-AUTO.

My plan is to buy one locally, compare the outside of the filters and if i see any differences i will cut one store bought and one from SAE-AUTO and compare them inside before i let it go 10k miles.

Anyone else have used them?

I just read ALL of the negative feedbacks for SAE-AUTO and none were regarding Fram Ultra filters being fake or bootleg. My filter should be arriving here this week and the inspection will begin.

Originally Posted By: Irishman
I just read ALL of the negative feedbacks for SAE-AUTO and none were regarding Fram Ultra filters being fake or bootleg. My filter should be arriving here this week and the inspection will begin.

Look for the barely visible engraved date code in the paint.

Fram Ultra filter arrived yesterday. Date code located. Still checking a few things but I believe it will be OK.

Can someone tell me how to decode the codes on the filters?
I received my 12 Fram Ultra from SAE-AUTO for $56 shipped. Received 5 filters that have 2012 year on them and Denbury, CT address on them. 7 filters had 2014 year and Perrysberg, OH address on them. Bought 1 filter from Walmart to compare and it also had 2014 year and Perrysberg, OH address on it. Also notice the clear label on the 2012 filter. Did FRAM move their Ultra filter production lines to Perrysberg from Danbury???
Pictures posted, from left to right:
Walmart 2014 filter, SAE-AUTO 2014 filter, SAE-AUTO 2012 filter.

Also boxes look identical except the walmart filter looks like thin cardboard/paper while SAE-AUTO boxes are all white on the inside.
Walmart on left, sae-auto on right.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
The filter on the right should be the newest ones.

But filter on right has 2012 year on it while others are 2014. What gives?

Here is how to read the codes on these.

Loc: PNW

C01741

C = Plant Code
0 = Year, which in this case is 2010 (0 = 2000 or 2010 or 2020, etc. 1 = 2001, 2011, 2021, etc ... and so on.)
174 = Julian date
1 = Shift Code (1 = 1st shift, 2 = 2nd shift, 3 = 3rd shift)

So this filter was made on the 174th day of 2010.

Here is what i received from SAE-AUTO:
2 filters i cannot find codes. (Maybe under sticker)
1 filter from 2012.
2 filters from 2013.
1 filter from 2014.
6 filters from 2015.

Seems legit.

You need to find the date code engraved in the paint on the side of the can, and it will have the format similar to my example you find - C01741. It might be hard to see, so use a strong flashlight and look at it from different angles.

The date code is NOT on the sticker or on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back