Maintenance schedule for low usage Honda Pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my tentative plan of action for the 2006 Honda Pilot.

Vehicle will be used sparingly, 4/5 weeks of the year and be stored unused during rest of the year, won't be started and warmed, butvrather parked up with the battery removed with a cover.

Usage will be varied, traffic density is quite high, fuel quality is decent as there is a good number of Shell Stations in the locality, will likely get the best quality petrol available.

All usage in Ghana. Mostly around Accra but also some longer trips.

As mentioned in my other thread I will be researching the parts to have the cambelt sorted out, unless I can find documented proof that it has been recently done.

Oil filter availability is not great but the Honda Legend made it to the UK with the 3.5V6 engine.

I have research the recommendations for the 3.5v6 engine using Manufacturers websites.

Oil.
1st Choice Mobil 1 New Life 0w40 £30 in Costco

2nd Choice Mobil 1 Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30 £

3rd Choice Amsoil or Red Line 5w20

Oil Filters.
1st Choice K&N HT 1010 £15 (ish) online from K&N

2nd Choice Bosch Filter £9 (ish) locally at EuroCarParts.

Air Filter ( I am limited in Choice, can only find a K&N so far!)
K&N Air filter. £53 (ish) Online from K&N

(Optional) K&N Cabin Filter. £64 (ish) Online from K&N.

That's the tentative plan of action anyway.

I was really interested in the reusable K&N oil filter but it's something like £240 and that makes no sense as even the most expensive K&N oil filter is under £15.

My reason for considering 0w40/5w30 instead of 5w20 is mainly due to the amount of idling the vehicle will endure in pretty hot temperatures due to congestion.

A few friends etc are in the Business of selling used engines. My concern is that the heat and idling time may be a factor. Though it could all be down to sporadic maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are you buying the vehicle already in Ghana, or are you shipping the vehicle from UK?

(from the other thread): The OP already has the vehicle in possession (sight unseen) in Ghana.
it is the US version.

OP, i'm going to guess, use the local available Stabil in the gas/petrol, and put some type of oil/machine oil in the cylinders trough the sparks wholes for the 11 months of storage (to prevent rust). hand crank the engine when back so you don't get hydro-lock + get sparks back.

Last edited:
Are you buying the vehicle already in Ghana, or are you shipping the vehicle from UK?

As pandus has said the vehicle I already in Ghana.

Was shipped there by a family friend and we bought if from him, actually bought it 18months ago but nobody told me about it.....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

(from the other thread): The OP already has the vehicle in possession (sight unseen) in Ghana.
it is the US version.

OP, i'm going to guess, use the local available Stabil in the gas/petrol, and put some type of oil/machine oil in the cylinders trough the sparks wholes for the 11 months of storage (to prevent rust). hand crank the engine when back so you don't get hydro-lock + get sparks back.

Do you think putting stuff down the Plug holes is needed?

Is Stabil a brand name?

I was planning on doing an oil change before laying it up.

Wasn't sure if I should leave the tank almost empty or leave it brimmed to prevent condensation build up.

Any thoughts on my oil choice and filter choice would be appreciated.

New Life is cheap and easily available in Costco which is why I was considering it.

Have just downloaded an Owners Manual from the techinfo website and I will give it a try read through over the next few days.

I use my 240Z about the same amount. Literally a week of driving a year with no starts in between and the battery on the tender. I'm planning on changing the oil in April at the 4 year mark.

I'd go with the Mobil 1 0w40 and a reasonable oil filter. As long as you get the oil up to full temp before putting it up, you'll be good for multiple years.

I would put the battery on a tender, does the tank with Stabil (or equivalent to what you can get)and fog the motor with a light oil before putting it up. You can do this through the throttle body after the intake tube. Doing this on my 43 year old Datsun always has it cranking up the first try after sitting 15+ months.

I think M1 0w40 could go years between changes with your usage. Why not plan on getting a UOA after say 2 years?

Will the vehicle be inside or outside? I'd be worried about other things more than oil.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I think M1 0w40 could go years between changes with your usage. Why not plan on getting a UOA after say 2 years?

Will the vehicle be inside or outside? I'd be worried about other things more than oil.

Initially the vehicle will be parked outside in a secure compound under a cover.

At some point within the next year or so it will be garaged.

UOA will cost more than an oil change.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

A single UOA helps determine the OCI which saves money over the period of ownership.

For example, paying for one UOA may give you the confidence to go from an annual OCI to a three year OCI.

I spent about $40 on 3 UOAs that gave me the confidence to double ocis on my vehicles. More than paid for themselves in money not to mention time saved.

Skip K&N air and cabin filters especially at those prices!

BTW, don't forget the transmission fluid!

M1 0W-40 is very long lasting - you should be fine changing it every 5 years if you keep it topped off. Just disconnect the battery and leave it in. Wasting electricity 24/7 on a tender for a car that sits 11 months doesn't make sense. Put it on the tender a day before the restart if you're worried. You don't need to do anything special for the gas other than try to leave it about 2/3 full. I've run cars with 3 year old gas (and older) w/o issue. The gas in my 99 Aurora is probably 4-5 years old and it runs fine - that car sits w battery disconnected and gets driven twice a year. It will see more usage next year when I retire my 94 Bonneville.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
M1 0W-40 is very long lasting - you should be fine changing it every 5 years if you keep it topped off. Just disconnect the battery and leave it in. Wasting electricity 24/7 on a tender for a car that sits 11 months doesn't make sense. Put it on the tender a day before the restart if you're worried. You don't need to do anything special for the gas other than try to leave it about 2/3 full. I've run cars with 3 year old gas (and older) w/o issue. The gas in my 99 Aurora is probably 4-5 years old and it runs fine - that car sits w battery disconnected and gets driven twice a year. It will see more usage next year when I retire my 94 Bonneville.

I wasn't going to use a tender.

Can't see me leaving the oil for 5 years!

I am a big fan of Mobil 1 0w40. And I can get it for a great price in Costco. It's a pity we have to pay so much more for oil in the U.K. than the US.

Though I might keep what I drain and throw it in the Accent Taxis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjl

A single UOA helps determine the OCI which saves money over the period of ownership.

For example, paying for one UOA may give you the confidence to go from an annual OCI to a three year OCI.

I spent about $40 on 3 UOAs that gave me the confidence to double ocis on my vehicles. More than paid for themselves in money not to mention time saved.

Skip K&N air and cabin filters especially at those prices!

BTW, don't forget the transmission fluid!

UOA would be an awful lot more than $40 in my situation though I appreciate the advice.

£15 for a K&N makes sense to me as I can't buy any other filter for it in the UK. The price of the Cabin filter was a bit rich for sure, however it will also last indefinitely and the biggest issue in Ghana is the very fine red dust that gets everywhere.

So buying filters from the US or Canada that get quickly blocked could easily cost more when you include all costs.

I take it the K&N oil filter is a good call?

I was thinking that running the oil filter for more than one OCI would be a good plan. I have read that the sump on the 3.5 is under 5litres so one bottle of Mobil 1 New Life.

What about Amsoil oil filters? Are they a good option?

Trans fluid change is definitely on the to do list, along with all other fluids.

Being a Bitog member I do like to get under a vehicle every so often.

I accept that I am probably going to over Service the vehicle, but if I can get 10years out of it then that would be great.

So how often are you planning to change the oil? Suggestions here range from 2-5 years. It's not as absurd as you might think, especially in a favorable climate where the oil reaches temperature all the time.

Japanese engines are mostly very easy on oil. 5000 to 10000 miles on conventional oil and basic filters. Honda allows a filter to run TWO ocis.

So it might be against what you're used to doing but you asked an audience highly familiar with the vehicle for their advice and that's what they're saying.

On the filters, you would be wrong to go with K&N air and cabin filters. Because for the price you mention it sounds like you are talking about reusable filters which do not filter well. So if you're worried about fine red dust, then don't buy K&N reusable filters.

Instead just buy whatever major brand or OEM that sells at a reasonable price ie $10 per air or cabin filter and change as necessary. Dusty conditions are found in the US as well and the advice simply becomes to change filters more often.

When it comes to oil filters, then if you are going to change oil and filter every year, an economy filter will do the job, especially if you don't have a K&N air filter in front.

If you're willing to extend oci then a Fram Ultra is the best bang for the buck with the highest filtration and highest dirt holding. Or if the thought of all that fine dust really bothers you, you could consider a Microgreen filter which includes bypass filtering. The others you mentioned are fine as well, comparable but not as good or as good a value as a Fram Ultra.

But again, M1 0w40 and a premium filter only makes sense for your 1 month a year usage if you run it for multiple years.

A one month oil change only needs a basic oil and a basic oil filter.

It's difficult to change lifetime habits I suppose. I was thinking changing the oil every year when the car was parked up initially.

K&Ns do seem unpopular on Bitog, I will have to do some research online to see if I can order from the US or Canada at reasonable price with normal filters.

I have so far not been able to find any air or cabin filter that cross references with the Honda Pilot ones that I can buy off the shelf in the UK.

Not overly familiar with Fram though going by threads I have read on Bitog they seem to be popular.

I did mention running the K&N oil filter for more than one oil change. Do you think they are good enough to run for 2 or or perhaps even more OCI? I have no problem leaving a filter in for two or more OCI as long as the total timein situ is not greater than the manufacturers OCI, as I always believe that they must be at least good enough to perform to a high standard that mileage, Honda are also one of the few manufacturers in the U.K. that left the filter on for more than one OCI.

I just had a look at Microgreen, interesting indeed. They don't ship to the UK sadly.

I don't think fitting a full on bypass filter set up would make great financial sense due to the low usage, maybe something for the future if I ever get the money together to have my dream car for Ghana, a Range Rover Sport, old model not current one. As I really would intend to own that indefinitely. Including after I retire over there.

Last edited:
Rockauto ship worldwide. They have very low prices on parts eg $3 for air, cabin, oil filters.

And a Google search shows Honda themselves are in Ghana as well as other parts suppliers.

Rockauto ship worldwide. They have very low prices on parts eg $3 for air, cabin, oil filters.

And a Google search shows Honda themselves are in Ghana as well as other parts suppliers.

Certainly Honda are trying to sell vehicles in Ghana and gain market share.

Though unfortunately they are not being that successful as the middle classes in Ghana who are those that can afford new cars are still tending to buy mainly Toyota but also Nissan. Ford are also popular and Chinese cars are trying hard to gain market share.

The chances of being able to order service parts in Ghana at a remotely sensible price and without them having to be ordered are not very good. They may stock service parts for the vehicles they currently sell but unless the parts are the same Indon't think they would be that interested in ordering them!

A lot of car parts are sourced via independant sellers. And they tend to stick with the stuff they can turn around quickly, hence why Inwant to source as much of the parts as possible myself.

I had never heard of Rockauto, I shall go online tomorrow and check prices, thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back