Which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am trying to decide which oil to use for my winter OCI. Here are my options: PP 0w20, PP HM 5w30,PU 0w20, M1 0w20 or 0w30 or TGMO 0w20 and lastly Castrol w/Titanium 5w20 I do not have all of these oils but I am trying to decide on the best one. My driving conditions, I usually wont be going too far, but a good highway run at least once a week, planning to do 6 months on the oil which will be 10,000kms or less. I realize they will all do the job, but looking for one with best benefit for cold starts, and I am also re-considering my use of a Napa proselect filter due to the nitrile ADBV. I was thinking Carquest Blue or Napa Gold. I dont care if the filtration is less, as I would like to favor flow over filtration for winter OCI. Please tell me oil filter and oil you would choose and why, thanks in advance
smile.gif

PS. My car sits outside 24/7, no block heater.

For a 5 or 6k OCI I might lean towards any of the 0W20's. 10kmile OCI over the winter, maybe 0W30. I'm not totally convinced about 20 weight oils--and I think you'll get a fair amount of cold start induced fuel buildup. Hand wringing I know.

I've decided to stick with OEM on filters. Same cost, at least in the states, or cheaper than the high end filters. Just bought a pair at $5.45 each at the dealer the other day, although I might buy a case (half case?) at $5 each next time (look on Ebay, Amazon might have them too). Just not sold on what those high dollar filters do, not when some of the highest mile vehicles that one can find racked up their miles on... cheap bulk and cheap filters.

Last edited:
Ultra 0w30 or Synthoil 0w30 if you need an Xw30. The new Mobil 1 0w30 with the GTL base stock might be a good copy of Ultra.

OEM, Bosch or Mann filters BUT only if made in Germany.

Last edited:
TGMO 0w20 and OEM Toyota filter. Our Prius does -40F regularly with it here. It's a fantastic combination on a modern vehicle that calls for a 20 wt in a cold climate.

PS: The factory block heaters for your car are cheap and easy to install. Makes a difference on start up wear and warm up time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back