gluten-free on the road take2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOG-ers,

i want to have the thanksgiving party in warmer settings, so we plan to drive chicago,IL->FL(orlando).

what do you recommend on the road?

we'll have a small cooler and a 45qt cooler with us.

expected temps: 85-96+ F

we know how to cook.

many thanks and any tips appreciated

disclaimer: this is not about the gluten-free diet fad. be serious or ignore my thread

Walmart deli. Their $4 salad is enough for two. If you hit them in morning can be had for around $2 made the day before. Bought a cold rotisserie chicken yesterday for under $3. Just made the trip to Louisville and back

My wife and daughter have Gluten intolerance. All I can say is good luck. All the round up they use on GMO Wheat,Alfalfa and Potatoes it seems people aren't aware of what they put in their mouths.

Just plan out what you want to take and make it ahead of time. If you choose to follow a gluten free diet then you should know enough to know what you can and can't take. If you're not making the trip in a single day, then you can plan out where you want to stay and eat. Many restaurants have a menu that will cater to the gluten free fad.

Bring enough items to cover your breakfast and lunch, gluten free bread etc... grilled chicken or whatever you normally eat. I would agree, that if you cook and have somewhere where you can make meals (depends where you will be staying, hotel?) then walmart is a good choice which will allow you to buy what meets your gluten free needs.

If you have a smartphone, download the "find me gluten free" app. It's far from perfect, but we have found some real gems through it..

Baking potato's on the exhaust manifold would be a good roadtrip trick to learn. Not much space under the hood in new cars through...

I'm allergic to wheat so am gluten free. Just pack what you normally eat; when it runs out I've found these restaurants are very good about caring what goes in your food, and have options and nutritional information available:

Cracker Barrel
Qdoba
Outback
Denny's (surprise!)

Those are my go-to restaurants on a long trip.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm allergic to wheat so am gluten free. Just pack what you normally eat; when it runs out I've found these restaurants are very good about caring what goes in your food, and have options and nutritional information available:

Cracker Barrel
Qdoba
Outback
Denny's (surprise!)

Yes, Denny's has a pretty good gluten free selection now. Here in So Cal I have good luck with taco shops too. Been gluten free for over a year now due to allergies.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Walmart deli. Their $4 salad is enough for two. If you hit them in morning can be had for around $2 made the day before. Bought a cold rotisserie chicken yesterday for under $3. Just made the trip to Louisville and back
Do you know if they are Gluten free? Everything seems to have Gluten in it and how about the preparation areas? Are they contaminated? The salad dressings usually have Gluten added as well as many spices.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Do you know if they are Gluten free? Everything seems to have Gluten in it and how about the preparation areas? Are they contaminated? The salad dressings usually have Gluten added as well as many spices.

ooh, ++1,000:
...the dreaded cross-contamination.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Cracker Barrel
Qdoba
Outback
Denny's (surprise!)

thanks for the restaurants lists

all others thanks you for the walmart too. (they have a small shelf with gluten-free foods too)

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Just plan out what you want to take and make it ahead of time. If you choose to follow a gluten free diet then you should know enough to know what you can and can't take. If you're not making the trip in a single day, then you can plan out where you want to stay and eat. Many restaurants have a menu that will cater to the gluten free fad.

just let me explain a bit:
-normally we are not the kind we go out to restaurants; so we are actually closer to your thinking.....
-we know how to cook, but we are afraid of others definition of "how much gluten-free? oooh a little bit will not hurt you/just take a salad"
-gluten free as a diet fad, helped us an NOT: meaning they will prepare the gluten free in the same place/table/utensils with the gluten items.
***the only true gluten-free places seems to either had enough training with the chefs/personnel, or the owner/manager is a celiac/ other gluten allergies her/himself
-we did not choose the diet: celiac it is a disease which could go deadly untreated long enough (i know you meant well, but for me is serious)

my only problem with cooking home is if the items will make it (even in the cooler) trough the 20+ hours drive

so i'm just curious what other portable items can be carried on the road, without sending the whole crew into the opposite (constipation)

Five Guys burgers takes gluten intolerance pretty seriously. Just order a burger without a bun and inform the person that it is because of gluten-intolerant and they will literally scrub the grill clean and use different spatulas to prevent cross-contamination. To make things even better, their french fries are GF! They have no other deep-fryer menu items so you don't have to worry about cross-contamination. The only thing you really got to watch out for is the malt vinegar that they have at the tables (contains malted barley).

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
Five Guys burgers takes gluten intolerance pretty seriously. Just order a burger without a bun and inform the person that it is because of gluten-intolerant and they will literally scrub the grill clean and use different spatulas to prevent cross-contamination. To make things even better, their french fries are GF! They have no other deep-fryer menu items so you don't have to worry about cross-contamination. The only thing you really got to watch out for is the malt vinegar that they have at the tables (contains malted barley).

thank you
good-to know.

kids have been dreaming about fries and burger for sometime now.....

Try some of their Primadella Sweet Carving Ham.

Celiac disease is not a fad. People with this condition must not consume any gluten - absolutely none. Some food products (eg Soy sauce) may contain trace amounts of gluten, and for this condition close is not good enough.

My daughter has eaten gluten free in restaurants and been sick all afternoon. That's not funny. In addition, there are serious long term health consequences (to people with Celiac disease) to not following a strictly gluten free diet.

People preferring not to consume or limiting the gluten in their diet are a completely different matter.

This is really simple. I have been unable to eat wheat for 62 years. On road trips we take yogurt, cheese, wheat free crackers (they are available almost everywhere these days- not some much 40 years ago). Raisins, almonds, carrots and celery in a cooler with ice and spoons.

We have a serious cooler which has thick foam walls. It's in our crawl space so I can't easily access it to see the brand.

When we camp (usually for several days) we take along cold and frozen food and a large frozen bottle of water. It's a disposable bottle salvaged many years ago from my time in hospital work. That cooler will keep things cool (at least) for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back