What's a reasonable amount of time to wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To pee for a drug test? My 2nd employer sent me in on a random drug test. Ok no problem except I had to take time off from my #1 job to do it. I showed up at the place ready to provide my sample.

I told the goon at the office I was ready. He told me to have a seat. 30 minutes later I politely told him again as I really had to pee!

I waiter another 30 minutes and could no longer hold it.i told him so and he told me in a stern voice to sit back down. At this point I was in incredible pain and I told him what to do with him self and I left. Went to the nearest jack in the box to pee.

Imo the way I was treated was way out of line. Imo You shouldn't have to wait an hr+ to pee for a drug test. you always show up ready to go!

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
To pee for a drug test? My 2nd employer sent me in on a random drug test. Ok no problem except I had to take time off from my #1 job to do it. I showed up at the place ready to provide my sample.

I told the goon at the office I was ready. He told me to have a seat. 30 minutes later I politely told him again as I really had to pee!

I waiter another 30 minutes and could no longer hold it.i told him so and he told me in a stern voice to sit back down. At this point I was in incredible pain and I told him what to do with him self and I left. Went to the nearest jack in the box to pee.

Imo the way I was treated was way out of line. Imo You shouldn't have to wait an hr+ to pee for a drug test. you always show up ready to go!

Thoughts?

They did not give you an exact appointment time?

I'm in management and have to get folks tested often. The idea is little to no notice - and the tester takes them back right away.
I'd have new plans for that guy.

civilized and relaxed: 15 minutes
civilized and busy: 30 minutes
them chatting about latest guy/gal they meet last night and still drinking coffee: 10 minutes ago
them disrespectful: i may became hulk, my time has value too

PS: to them you are just a number
i told tech,receptionist, manager that i was on cold medicine with printed sheets what medicine,inbgredients list and how it may affect their results and please put a note in the results.
guess who had to explain to a managerial team why my results where positive? lucky i had the same printed sheets in double....

ps to ps: I go same place 3 months after and i'm treated/checked by a different team in the most professional way....

go figure

Another issue is that the testing place is only open 9-4 m-f...so I had to take lunch early to do this. Wasted my lunch hr and didn't get lunch all day. Boy was I [censored]! (Lol pun not intended).

Never had to wait more than 15 minutes in over 20 years. Been to clinics, collection sites and Chiropractic offices

Another issue is that the testing place is only open 9-4 m-f...so I had to take lunch early to do this. Wasted my lunch hr and didn't get lunch all day. Boy was I [censored]! (Lol pun not intended).

actually, it sounds like everybody but the receptionist (and you) took their lunch-break...
next time take the pee, and drink more water in their face.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Should have gone in the lobby office floor.

cleaning would fall on cleaning personnel, and OP would have police action on his file... and he need his clean file for the trucking 2nd job

9:30. I was there at 9:22

The lab should have called you at 9:30, and you should have been out and done by about 9:40.

Your experience sounds like they are a horrible lab.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Should have gone in the lobby office floor.

+1
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
About 5 minutes at the most especially when a moron talks down to you.

I agree. That was [censored] treatment.

All they need to do is give you a sample container and you pee in it, am I wrong? Not sure why they couldnt have provided you vial for sample for you could provide sample...

Thoughts?

I'm tested regularly, this is out of hand. They should have taken you in, at a minimum, after 30 minutes (if not right away). My first call after going to J-in-the-Box would be to employer #2 to tell them the story and ask for a reschedule elsewhere.

Under the DOT regulations (Rule 49 CFR Part 40) you've refused to take the test.

(2) Fail to remain at the testing site until the testing process is complete; Provided, That an employee who leaves the testing site before the testing process commences (see §40.63 (c)) for a pre-employment test is not deemed to have refused to test;

(8) Fail to cooperate with any part of the testing process (e.g., refuse to empty pockets when directed by the collector, behave in a confrontational way that disrupts the collection process, fail to wash hands after being directed to do so by the collector).

(c) As an employee, if you refuse to take a drug test, you incur the consequences specified under DOT agency regulations for a violation of those DOT agency regulations.

Under Rule 49 "Employer Responsibilities":
Your employer has to remove you from safety-sensitive duty until you've gone through a return-to-duty process. The employer also has an obligation to provide information to future employers about your refusal to be tested for a period of two years.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
All they need to do is give you a sample container and you pee in it, am I wrong? Not sure why they couldnt have provided you vial for sample for you could provide sample...

It requires a trained observer to watch the process and make sure the test is conducted in accordance with DOT regulations. No adulterated or substituted specimens.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Your employer has a right to fire you now. They will say you refused and left and of course you will say your side, but it will be a he said - she said, and your employer has every right to terminate you, effective immediately.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Thoughts?

Thoughts? Your employer has a right to fire you now. They will say you refused and left and of course you will say your side, but it will be a he said - she said, and your employer has every right to terminate you, effective immediately.
I'm lucky that he agrees with me and is rescheduling another appt for another lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back