cold weather ATF for old Chrysler tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the PAO/full synthetic Amsoil signature series multi rated ATF on every Chrysler tranny I've had except the RE series - ATF+4 eliminated the shudder on those.

Based on that, Amsoil ATF, even though it has a +4 rating, must be closer to Dex properties.

My tranny builder suggests Dex + Lubegard in his new tranny when I install it, but I see some pretty brutal winter temps - this for my non lockup '91.5 diesel A518/46RH.

Not sure if it's applicable, but a couple other tranny builders say Amsoil is fine, and they use the same Raybestos High Energy/Borg clutches.

Could the valve bodies be valved so differently between builders?

I have a choice of Amsoil Signature ATF, Mopar ATF+4, or perhaps the Schaeffer equivalent (204?), and of course Dex3 + Lubegard.

High temp protection is good, of course, but which of the above will have the best shift/feel during extreme cold weather?

It does not have a lockup converter, and is not an RE.
In fact, original fill was Dex3/ATF3

How brutal are we talking? Amsoil and most any full syn ATFs will flow at some very cold temps. I would use a full syn Dex III and lubeguard or just use Dex VI. During those cold winter days just be easy on the acceleration until the truck has time to properly warm up.

Looking through the Mobil 1 offerings - Dex3, Dex 6 and ATF+4 - looks like their ATF+4 flavor has the lowest -40c VIS ( I see that temp several times up north) and the lowest pour point.

What do y'all think of Amsoil ATF vs Schaeffer 204SAT?

"slipperiness" for clutch packs between Dex3, ATF+4 & Amsoil/Schaeffer?

Amsoil would have an advantage over ATF+4. Amsoil has a PAO base which has a better low temperature viscosity than the Group III base found in ATF+4.

Redline C+ is the best ATF+4 replacement. Use it in any out of warranty ATF+4 application. It uses Group V ester base stock (because of this, it cannot be licensed for official approval by Chrysler, since they require a specific group III stock).

Old tranny, fresh rebuild.

Not sure I need the seal conditioners in Maxlife ATF; any definitive info on why it's better than ATF+4/Amsoil/Redline C+ ?

Guys, I appreciate any informed input to answer my question about cold weather operation.

Price is not a concern, and was not a part of my first post question in this thread.

Here is what I don't understand I reckon -

Amsoil ATF+4 = Pour point -53c and Brookfield viscosity = 9755 at -40c

ATF+4 (PetroCan) = Pour point -51c and Brookfield viscosity = 8380 at -40c

Is it pour point or Brookfield viscosity at -40 that indicates cold weather performance?

Full specs -

PetroCanada ATF+4 - http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...amp;language=en

Amsoil sig ATF - http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3110.pdf

I was told that ATL is too thin for summer use in the old non lockup 46RH

Originally Posted By: ofelas
Price is not a concern

Then use Redline C+ with its pour point of -76 F
smile.gif

No other ATF will work better, especially in the extreme cold.

How did this pour point co-relate to brookfield vis at -40 ?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: ofelas
Price is not a concern

Then use Redline C+ with its pour point of -76 F
smile.gif

No other ATF will work better, especially in the extreme cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back