Budget TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why you have Vizio in the list with no-name brands, they're very good (well, "Westinghouse" is a big name, but unfortunately not related to the old Westinghouse company). Vizio started up with the specific mission of building flat-panel TVs, and they've carved out a pretty good niche. Pretty much the opposite of, say Sony, which had a huge share of the CRT market at one time and is now practically a no-name brand in flat-panel TVs- displaced by the likes of Samsung, Vizio, and LG. You can often get a good price on Vizio TVs in most smaller sizes, and if you can by all means buy one above all those other brands. Samsung and Vizio are my go-to brands for good flat-panel TVs these days.

Last edited:
Vizio from Costco is the way to go. Only place I have found that allows a 90 day return and provides a free second year warranty. TVs are so cheap now the savings on a no brand set isn't worth it for me.

Not so sure about Vizio. Had one of their plasma sets for our lake house, so it saw very little run time, and still managed to fail. It's been spread apart on my bench for the last six months, forcing me to learn about switching power supplies. Apparently they had a lot of power supply problems with their plasma sets. Build quality looks about average to me. Component part quality obviously leaves something to be desired. Plasma is the only thing keeping it from going in the trash can.

Another Vizio at my office has worked reliably, but the LCD screen is poor - off axis it gets pretty dark. They've probably corrected that in newer models.

I wouldn't spend much on something like a TV, but I would probably get a cheap Sony or cheap other big name brand, before a cheap store brand. Not sure I would get another VIzi.

I buy the absolute cheapest flat screen tv's at Best Buy...run them 4-5 years and toss em at the first hiccup. Amex had a BOGO bonus points sale years ago and I got 2 Toshiba CRT Tv's. Both arrived with small carcks in the case so they customer service guy sent me two more free. Turns out they only had one 27" left so the sent a free 32" instead. So I bought 1 TV' on bogo with my points and ended up with 4. They lasted 15 years (still have one left in the basement). So the most expensive TV I have is a 43" plasma from Best Buy for $269.

Last edited:
I have a Vizio and two Sony's. I like the Vizio the best.

Have 5 Visio flats in various sizes ... Been good ... They were an American company but just got sold to a Chinese firm like a dozen companies a month do these days ...

Originally Posted By: Win
Not so sure about Vizio. Had one of their plasma sets for our lake house, so it saw very little run time, and still managed to fail. It's been spread apart on my bench for the last six months, forcing me to learn about switching power supplies. Apparently they had a lot of power supply problems with their plasma sets. Build quality looks about average to me. Component part quality obviously leaves something to be desired. Plasma is the only thing keeping it from going in the trash can.

Depending on the vintage it could be bad capacitors. Samsung had a huge class action on bad caps in their Plasmas around 2006-2009. Around that time period seems as if everyone had issues with capacitors.

Also seems to be that most plasmas had power supply issues. Cramming that high voltage electronics into a cramped, hot environment seems like a recipe for disaster. Ou first plasma, a Philips (internally a Samsung) needed some power board replaced in the 2 year warranty. Just died after 11 years in August. The 2nd plasma, a Samsung is going strong at 8. When it goes an LCD will replace it - IMHO the picture is much better.

We have a Vizio in our gym and my son has a Seiki. Both purchased on Black Friday online about 4 or 5 years ago. No complaints.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
.... Depending on the vintage it could be bad capacitors. Samsung had a huge class action on bad caps in their Plasmas around 2006-2009. Around that time period seems as if everyone had issues with capacitors.

Also seems to be that most plasmas had power supply issues. Cramming that high voltage electronics into a cramped, hot environment seems like a recipe for disaster. ....

None showed any external sign of failure, but I've replaced at least a dozen that looked like good candidates, anyway ..... no joy. I'm starting to think it may be a logic problem - parts of the board not being told to turn on, or not interpreting the command correctly. Refurb boards turn up on ebay once in a while, but, I'm reluctant to throw boards at it ....

I have other projects going on, so this is only getting occasional attention; I'm getting somewhat tired of it cluttering up half the workbench out in my radio room. It's left a bad taste in my mouth for Vizio.

The in-laws have a 60 inch Sanyo 720p from around 2007 and still works great. Our 42inch Emerson that used to be in the living room that now resides in the bedroom is from 2010 in 1080I that was $500. Only problem with it is one of the HDMI ports went bad.

We just purchased a 50 inch Vizio smart Tv for $398, so far so good.

Walmart has a 50 inch sanyo 1080p 120hz refresh rate for $298 right now. I would've looked at it harder if we didn't want to stream Netflix on it.

Walmart has a 40 inch Element on sale for $149. Assembled in South Carolina. It has a TV tuner which some TV's don't now.
I might get one to see how good it is.

I'm waiting for OLEDs to drop in price a bit more before I even consider replacing my Kuro Elite.

In 2010 we bought a Samsung LE46C750R2W that had been a demo model in the local supermarket. I think we paid around $600 including a set of 3D glasses.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le40c750-le46c750-20100709761.htm

We still have this TV, and I see no reason to upgrade to something newer. The picture quality is still great and the set hasn't missed a beat. It's staying until it dies.

My point being: why not get a budget model from a mainstream brand? look at recent reviews like the one Iposted about the samsung, and take your pick?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Vizio is not entry-level, it's very good quality.

Vizio as a brand is not one level of quality they offer entry level products, mid range as well as high end.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Vizio is not entry-level, it's very good quality.

Vizio as a brand is not one level of quality they offer entry level products, mid range as well as high end.

Correct

They have among others
D-series panels (budget)
E-series -Mainstream/Good
M-series -high end

IIRC when I was shopping for a TV in 2013:

Vizio D series had lame color/brightness and almost no features
E series had 16zone? dimming and some decent features

M series had 32 zone dimming, double sided full keyboard remote, and tons of features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back