New timing belt install, Belt moving around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 VW Jetta Wagon, 8V 2.0 motor.

So installed a new timing belt, tensioner and water pump on my 2.0 wagon, i drove around maybe 45 miles and i come home to inspect everything and SEE THIS?!!?

DRpoeYF.jpg

XH2MeQu.jpg

Ill have a video link up soon, the belt moves around on the cam gear and its moving in towards the head and block. it looks like its getting chewed up on the lip of the water pump and the tensioner

Last edited:
My question would be what did you do wrong with out knowin the details. Were they oem parts?

Originally Posted By: CT8
My question would be what did you do wrong with out knowin the details. Were they oem parts?

From what i understand the only thing i did wrong was not use oem, its a VW 2.0 8V motor, not much can go wrong.

No,not oem parts. This is the first and last time ill ever do this job not using OEM stuff, i have done this job on many many VW's in the past year and this is the first time i had this issue and its also the firs time not using OEM, i used the DAYKO kit. GARBAGE

Last edited:
Seeing the video I would carefully take it apart and inspect everything that you have done. stuff sometimes happens no natter what.

This is bollocks!!

Im going to take it all apart tomorrow and bring these parts back to advance auto and pray i get my money back and im going out to VW and getting OEM parts. I need to use this car so i dont have time to order everything as i usually do.

Seems like a defective tensioner. The belt wants to center on the cam gear. I assume the crankshaft pulley wasn't touched.

The tensioner wants to throw the belt towards the block.

i took a very close look at the belt, the best i could, it seems the belt has warped teeth. Ill pull the belt off tomorrow, and replace that and also use an OEM tensioner if the dealer has one on hand.

A fellow LI'er! That sucks! I learned many years ago there are certain parts you only use OE for, this is one of them.

Looking at it positively at least you didn't replace the cambelt cover, you might have known nothing about it till it was too late.

most timing belts are made by gates anyway.. check the tensioner and see if there is any play in anything else. That belt does not look new

I have used the Dayco Belt kit on a few different cars and never had a problem. It is possible you got a defective belt or as others said, it is possible the belt is on too tight or too loose.

Dayco is OEM for some European brands. I think I've seen the Dayco label on timing belts that also had Alfa Romeo and Lamborghini logos. They aren't Gates but they aren't poor quality by any means.

Something else is going on here. The belt is already fraying on the inside so it's obviously rubbing against something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back