Switching from semi-syn to full syn at 75,000 kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 GMC Terrain with a 2.4L DI motor with 75,000 kms on it.

It's had all of it's oil changes to date done at the dealership.
When I asked them what they used, they told me they are using Shell supplied semi-synthetic oil, which would be either Quaker State Enhanced Durability or Pennzoil Gold.

I'd like to switch to Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 at my next oil change.

That's really not a lot of mileage (kilometerage?) on the motor.

Can anyone forsee any issues in switching to full synthetic from semi-synthetic at 75,000 kms?

Thanks...Brad

I doubt you will have issues. I changed over a vehicle I used to own from conventional to synthetic with no troubles with over 100,000 miles. No problems at all. It was a 98 Toyota Tacoma. The first batch of synthetic oil was Mobil 1. Due to budget I moved to Supertech synthetic. I was not extending my OCI so I decided to use a less costly oil. The new owner is still driving it. I believe it has around 160,000 now.

I would use a 0w30 synthetic if I were you. Mobil 1 0w30 should work great...especially since Ottawa can get some very cold weather, the syn will have better cold flow. I would switch without hesitation. Do you plan to change the oil or will it go to dealer?

Originally Posted By: CT8
What do you expect to gain by switching to a syn

Better cold weather performance (it gets stupidly cold here in the winter) and I tend to run about 10,000 kms between oil changes.

Also, the regular price for PP is now only $28 for a 5 liter jug at wally world.

Good question Brad.I'd run PPHM 5w30 or PP/PU 5w30 in a heartbeat. If they were truly running synblend the whole time your engine internals should be clean.On the first oil change you might see slight consumption and a dirtied oil sooner but I am certain that full synthetic will serve you well. Now get in the truck,drive to Quebec and watch the Habs win Lord Stanley.

Cold starting is a great reason. I am always curious about about the magic people think syn oils do and never get into the areas of use where syn oils may benefit them.

What won't he gain from going to full syn? That's the real question
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: BradC

Better cold weather performance (it gets stupidly cold here in the winter) and I tend to run about 10,000 kms between oil changes.

Also, the regular price for PP is now only $28 for a 5 liter jug at wally world.

You've answered your own question. Since PP isn't available in a 0W-30 in Canada, the 5W-30 will be fine.

You'll notice easier starts in January and February with that oil.

Cold starting is a great reason. I am always curious about about the magic people think syn oils do and never get into the areas of use where syn oils may benefit them.

How about getting a superior (Dexos1) oil for less money (with rebates) than a syn-blend?

Originally Posted By: BradC

No, it gets stupidly cold HERE in winter. In Ottawa, it gets a little chilly a few weeks of the year.

Full synthetic in the Ottawa area is the way to go.

Incredibly cold and nowhere near the north pole either !!

That's why I only visit Ottawa in the summer!!

'

What do you expect to gain by not switching to Full Syn?

Last edited:
Possible the better flow and more/different detergents will leak. Jmo. Stay with the blend.

I would myself absolutely make the switch. I have no idea if GM recalibrated the OLM on those 2.4 DI engines but I know when they first came out they were having timing chain issues.

Use the PP and sleep well at night, JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back