Honda HS35 Snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started looking around for a snowblower as this might be a year for snow. I have been eyeing this one for a time and got around to talking to the guy. He wanted originally $225.00 but since he goes to Florida soon he said he will take $175.00. Are these a good model and what of the price. He repainted the black metal areas. The last blower I owned was over 10yrs, a Toro. How does this compare to others? How old are these? Should I offer less? Thanks going forward.

Does it start and run? I think those have a GX OHV engine which is good. Biggest problem could be lack of use. If all OK, buy it. Honda are the RR of snowblowers.

Last edited:
If the augers turn and the shoot adjusts, you'll get the idea. Try it with leaves (LOL). Go price a new Honda. Honda.com will lead you to a free manual download. You'll never find one after the first snowfall for this price.

Last edited:
How are the paddles and scraper? the HS35 is a pretty old model, any idea on the age? $175 doesn't seem like a super great price, but not bad now that it's getting cold.

My brother has the larger brother to that mower. It's over 20 years old now and still runs like a top.
He uses synthetic oil, keeps it inside when not used and takes care of it. It still looks like new.
I'd advice 'jump on it'. If oil is clean, check the spark plug and replace IF necessary.
Grease any zerks and you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Does it start and run? I think those have a GX OHV engine which is good. Biggest problem could be lack of use. If all OK, buy it. Honda are the RR of snowblowers.
Lack of maintenance especially.

If a single stage is good enough for your needs, a used Honda that appears to be in decent shape is probably worth a shot.
If he already dropped the price $50 and he's running out of time to sell the thing, you can probably get him down even more.
Do you know this guy well enough to have an idea of how well he maintains things? I'd recommend running something like Heet in the first tank or two to help clean up any water that might have built up.
I'm amazed that I've gotten 20 years out of a two stage Yardman that has way too much plastic on it, a Honda should run much longer if it is maintained. I need a two stage with Noreasters dumping 30+ inches of snow on my long driveway with a wide turnaround, but a lighter duty machine makes sense if it fits your needs...less to break, easier to handle, and probably easier to store.

This guy is out by the highway on the edge of town with a couple of antique stores. During the warm months he buys bicycles and mowers, etc and fixes them up. He says he is leaving Monday for Florida, so he kindof time closed himself. Said he bought it from a guy who didn't get much use out of it, so he sold it. Either because there hasn't been much snow or it has been a pain. The plastic top is kindof busted up and this guy has painted up all the metal areas. So I don't know, no snow or leaves to try it with.

Look for wear on the auger. Some have a wear indicator line. Also look for wear on the scraper bar and the wheels. Are the wheels sloppy on the axle? Another important item is the auger shaft bearings. With the machine off, does the auger spin freely and quietly? Any noise or harshness there indicates worn auger shaft bearings. I don't have a lot of experience with Honda machines, likely because they're built to last. The above is what I do with Toro, MTD or Husqvarna group built single stage units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back