1998 Chevrolet differential capacity (cannot find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Haynes manual and the owner's manual both say to use 80W90 oil in the differential but nothing about the capacity. In either manual!

Anybody have this data?

I have no idea what size differential is had but I can say it has the 5.7 liter Vortex and the 4 speed automatic (with the deep sump), 1/2 ton, referred to as "1500 Express".

Reason being I have an apparatus I rigged up where I can top off the exact amount, check the funnel every now and then, come back and refill.

IMG_20160926_112313201_zpscpmljihv.jpg

IMG_20160926_112321774_zpsx2u8i1dw.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't there a fill hole / inspection hole half way up the cover? That's your full line. If not there can be a plug on the side.

Should have the 8.5" 10 Bolt rear in that Van, in which case capacity (according to the manual) is about 2 quarts, but will hold almost 3 (if you fill to the fill plug). GM along with other manufactures sometimes don't fill to max capacity, presumably due to cost, and less warranty replacements of seepy pinions seals.

Last edited:
I had the same truck, but 1996. I bought 2 quarts of gear oil and refilled it. It didn't ooze out by the end of the 2nd quart, but I could feel it with my pinky. So slightly over 2 quarts. Ideally you want to fill it until it starts to drop out. But mine was full enough.

Unlike my automatic transmission, I'm not too concerned with overfilling the differential. Usually whenever oil started pouring out the filler port is when I pull the hose out. The only reason I asked this was so:

A: Didn't have to run back to the parts store to buy more
B: Return any full bottles I did not use

It seems I have to know what size differential I actually have before hand. And the owner's manual doesn't say. Like the above post there can be up to four differential sized differentials used on this van.

I bought two bottles so in total I have three in addition to the full bottle I already have.

Also this isn't the "rule of thumb" but seems to apply to Subaru, Ford and Chevrolet. If the differential calls for GL-5 80/W90, it has a standard differential. If it calls for 75W/90 Synthetic, it has a limited slip differential.

The Haynes manual says if my van was built after 2005 to use 75W/90 so I'm assuming begining in 2005, GM started using limitied slip differentials on these vans/trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back