Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 3.0tt - Recommend oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400, 3.0L twin turbo is right at 5K miles, and I want to change out of the FF. Recommended oil change interval is 10K, but I don't feel comfortable going that long on the FF, and will likely maintain 5K intervals from here on out. 0w20 is recommended, and I'm located in WI, where the temps are dropping, so going to stick with that. I've run Pennzoil Platinum in my last G37 (3.7L naturally aspirated) and was happy with it, but not sure if it's a great performer on a turbo, with DI engine. My last turbo, I ran Mobil 1 full synth, but that was 10 years ago.

I'm a 50/50 mix of city / highway driving, averaging 25 miles per trip, 50 miles daily.

Also, any recommendations on filters? Leaning towards Mobil 1 Extended Performance (M1-108) or K&N white (HP-1008), as my closest Infiniti dealer is a bit out of the way.

PPPP 0w20 or M1 0w20 should do the trick along with a Fram Ultra oil filter. The Ultra is capable of 15K OCI so you could safely leave it on for 2 5K OCI and still have wiggle room. Does the owners manual have any oil specs? Or just 0w20?

Being that I like to freak out about LSPI in my DI turbo engine, I would recommend something that is low in calcium like M1 0W20.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/exmoM1.htm

For more about LSPI, this is a good place to start;

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4025415/LSPI:_A_KNOCK_ON_THE_NEWEST_EN#Post4025415

It might be that LSPI is not a major concern with your engine, but my FXT was recalled because of it.

Last edited:
Looking at your owner manual online, 0w20 is the recommended in the spec. Using that recommendation M1 AFE 0w20 or PP 0w20 would be good choices imo.

As for filters, seems you're looking at high end. That being the case, Fram Ultra would be a better choice overall including price and specs than the M1 and K&N, especially than the latter. Infiniti doesn't recommend using a filter two ocis, so if your going to get ~10k miles between changes the Ultra is a good fit. Another option for 10k miles or less would be a Wix/Napa Gold, same filters and can generally be had for less than the Ultra.

PP or M1 with OEM oil filter would be my choice. After-market oil filter quality can be a real variable which is why I stick with OEM.

OT, but I just got back from taking a two door Q60 400 hp version for a test drive. It was pretty impressive. 0w-20 might be a hard sell on me. I know better, but you know how it is. I do notice it has a real OLM, with a much longer apparent interval, rather than telling you to change it ever 3750 miles.

0W20 in twin turbo engine? For f... sake, they will start running 0W10 just to get their MPG numbers up.
If I owned that car I would be running Castrol 0W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
0W20 in twin turbo engine? For f... sake, they will start running 0W10 just to get their MPG numbers up.

Most turbos are no longer oil cooled like the turbos of yore. They are liquid cooled and usually have intercoolers...

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Since when oil is for cooling?

Isn't that pretty much one of the functions of passenger car oil in general?

My understanding is that at one time oil contacted the turbo directly while spooling and one had to wait as it spooled down before shutting off the car to insure even heat distribution. But I am not an engineer and do not pretend to be one. I know Ford has made it clear that you do not need to use synthetic oil in their turbos on the modern SHO's...

What oil rating does the owners manual recommend? If you think a syn oil would work pick one that has the specs the MFG recommends. Oil is pretty much oil I doubt there will be ant difference between comparable brands other that the fanboy thought process.

There is a TT Ecoboost truck on here that used Castrol Magnatec with great UOA's. And the 0w20 is full syn.

Last edited:

If their 0w-20 wording is anything like the wording last year for other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles, it will allow an SN 5w-30, and not really require an ILSAC 5w-30. So, an CJ-4/SN E6, E7, E9 like Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 could be used, which will have the HTHS of an A3/B4 lubricant.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Most turbos are no longer oil cooled like the turbos of yore. They are liquid cooled and usually have intercoolers...

Aha, and moving parts are lubricated how? olive oil or regular water?

My understanding is that at one time oil contacted the turbo directly while spooling and one had to wait as it spooled down before shutting off the car to insure even heat distribution. But I am not an engineer and do not pretend to be one. I know Ford has made it clear that you do not need to use synthetic oil in their turbos on the modern SHO's...

Ford, a great name in building turbos, only 15 years behind those outdated turbos I have.
Interestingly, while FORD claims you do not have to use synthetic in turbos in the U.S., in Europe they strictly recommend 5W30 or even 5W40 full synthetic, and ONLY synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If their 0w-20 wording is anything like the wording last year for other Nissan and Infiniti vehicles, it will allow an SN 5w-30, and not really require an ILSAC 5w-30. So, an CJ-4/SN E6, E7, E9 like Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 could be used, which will have the HTHS of an A3/B4 lubricant.

Yeah I agree, I am just referring to what factory is recommending.

Ford, a great name in building turbos, only 15 years behind those outdated turbos I have.

I sincerely doubt that, but okay whatever...I've never thought that highly of VW's consistency of quality either. I'm pretty sure 15 years ago, VW unleased the 1.8L Turbo from the deepest plain of [censored]...
smile.gif
Hardly state of the art. But I really cannot connect a Ford turbo somehow being less advanced when it seems that a typically syn-blend oil seems to allow them to go hundreds of thousands of miles without failures being a norm or known issue..

I did recently meet an owner of a 15' GTi whose engine grenaded at the mall in a bar as he was waiting to be picked up. I think he said that the timing chain was a known "issue"...

Quote:
Interestingly, while FORD claims you do not have to use synthetic in turbos in the U.S., in Europe they strictly recommend 5W30 or even 5W40 full synthetic, and ONLY synthetic oil.

I don't know what we're talking about as far as Europe and which cars since they have different models - although perhaps to a lessor extent than they used too. In any case, that also tells us nothing since synthetic is pretty much the standard in Europe with some limited exceptions and is probably much more readily available. They also use different suppliers (Castrol) in Europe and perhaps have higher horsepower specs, at least in the UK, for cars like the Focus ST. Again, not really very meaningful for conclusions...

Incidentally, Ford does recommend full syn Motorcraft for applications here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back