Replaced Dakota's Battery, now no clock or radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery on my 2002 Dakota went out yesterday, and went out so bad that it took a lot of effort to jump the thing and even after I did so, I had to play with the accelerator for about 5 minutes before the engine would stay running. Put in a new battery and now I have no radio/CD player or time displayed on the unit. Yeah, I know, I should have used a memory-minder gizmo but at this point it's shoulda-coulda-woulda.
wink.gif
Next time for sure.

I know that the jump didn't kill it because when I shut off the engine after the jump, the time was 12.20 and I remember thinking that it took over 20 minutes to get the thing going so it was working then. I checked both fuses and they're good. Interior lights and everything else is working. The radio is the basic AM/FM/CD player, no CD changer. No security codes as far as I know and there are no lights flashing or any indication of an error code.

Poked around online and suggestions are basically disconnect/reconnect battery, which I did, and I even found one tip saying that if I switch the radio off and switch the key to Accessory, then turn on the radio it will reset. No dice.

Any tips short of getting a new unit or going to the dealer?

TIA

How long did you leave the new battery disconnected for? I'd give it 5 minutes or so if you didn't. Barring that, pull the unit out and check for power at the back of it as step 1.

Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and while the battery is disconnected turn on the radio then with the key off connect the battery and see if that works.. If not test the radio positive wire for power.. There is one wire +12 all the time (memory wire) and a switched 12 volt for power. I assume you checked the connection at the battery for any loose wires since you were working around that area..Sometimes when a battery gets so weak and you jump it there can be damage done. If there is power at the radio with both wires it's something in the radio i dont know if there is a fuse inside the radio that you can easily replace.

First check for power, not only at the radio but at the fuses. Also check the fuses on a tester to make sure they aren't blown. If there isn't power at some point, start tracing the wiring back until you find the problem. If there is power at the fuses and radio then pull the negative battery cable and let it sit overnight. Is there any security built into the radio? Some vehicles require a code to be entered if the power to the radio is disconnected. If I remember correctly they had the ground connected to the antenna wire, so make sure it's grounded well.

If you have power to the radio but the radio isn't working, and you've exhausted all of the possibilities then it may be time to replace the radio.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Check the fuses?

Read the original post?

There is a mini-ATC fuse for the memory circuit of the radio in the PDC Power Distribution Center under the hood by the battery. The memory circuit has 12 volts whether the key is on or off and when you lose power to it the radio will not work. IIRC it is a 20 amp fuse and may be labeled memory or IOD for Ignition Off Draw. Check each fuse in the PDC individually if the memory fuse is not clearly labeled. It is not uncommon at all to blow the memory fuse when jumpstarting or replacing the battery. I have seen it happen a lot.

Chances are very good that the radio itself is OK. You probably just popped a fuse but if you have to check the radio wiring you want to check for power at the gray plug behind the radio. As you look at the plug with the locking tab on top facing up the pink wire all the way to the left side of the plug should have constant 12 volts, whether the key is on or off. The wire next to the pink wire will be either red or red with a white stripe and should have power only with the key in the accessory and run positions. There are no internal fuses or fuses on the outside of the case of the radio.

I like my Honda but man I sure do miss my Dakota. It was a great truck. I hope whoever bought it is taking good care of it.

Clock and radio memory power are probably on the same circuit. Find out what fuse that is and replace it first to see if everything comes back.

Radio probably won't turn on without that backup power circuit energized.

It's been a while since I've owned or driven a Dodge of that vintage. Doesn't the radio turn on with a push of the volume button? If so, the circuit that detects that button push may be energized with the radio setting backup power circuit.

So I'd locate the fuse for the clock and the radio memory. I suspect you'll find they are the same fuse and is bad.

Swap it and see if everything returns to normal.

I don't guess yours is one with the radio anti-theft that you have to enter a code to get it to function.

Update:

Checked fuses again, all are good. Power is getting to the radio and there is no security code to enter.

However, in poking around some more on the internet, it appears that this vintage of Dodge radios had a weakness in the circuitry used to reinitialize the radio after power has been cut (basically checking that the VIN in the vehicle is the VIN the radio thinks it belongs to) and, unfortunately, you don't find out that there is a problem until you've cut/reconnected power.

Looks like it's time for me to check out Crutchfield's website.
wink.gif

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

That's probably a good move. Unless you can get it fixed for free, the costs to unlock the radio would probably go a long way in buying a better head unit from an outfit like Crutchfield.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Update:

Checked fuses again, all are good. Power is getting to the radio and there is no security code to enter.

However, in poking around some more on the internet, it appears that this vintage of Dodge radios had a weakness in the circuitry used to reinitialize the radio after power has been cut (basically checking that the VIN in the vehicle is the VIN the radio thinks it belongs to) and, unfortunately, you don't find out that there is a problem until you've cut/reconnected power.

Looks like it's time for me to check out Crutchfield's website.
wink.gif

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

I've got a premium radio laying around for that vintage Chrysler product

Code RAZ, it's the higher watt amp and CD/Cassette

PM me if your interested

Thanks for the offer, michaelluscher. Didn't see it until after I ordered a new unit from Crutchfield.

Here's the final result:
20161126_103013_zpsi9t4ci4l.jpg

Install kit came free, took a couple of hours to install, but nothing like I remember when installing radios with my Dad in the 80's.

Overall, not a bad way to spend $69.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back