U.S. Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Hamilton on pole.
What and somehow that's news I'm shocked

Is gofast182 on vacation? He always posts the F1 weekend schedules.
Maybe he's down in Texas attending the race in person.
Qualifying was exciting, with Hamilton and Rosberg duking it out with fastest laps in Q3.
They both broke the F1 qualifying record for COTA, even beating the previous 2.4L NA formula record.
It will be interesting to see if Hamilton can get a good jump off the grid in the race, and lead into the first turn. That would pretty much set the complexion of the race. Hamilton can win all 4 remaining races, and if Rosberg finishes 2nd in all of them, he would still win the championship.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

They both broke the F1 qualifying record for COTA, even beating the previous 2.4L NA formula record.

Not surprising; the weather is absolutely perfect here for being on track.

robert

Really sorry guys! I thought I posted here, came to comment on the race, and realized I didn't. I'll have Mexico posted for you in a few days.

I'm glad HAM won. Even if he doesn't win WDC it helps keep things exciting.

Very weird race for VES with the unplanned pit stop and then retirement.

Shame about RAI and having to stop. He's been having a great year and I've been secretly enjoying seeing him consistently beat VET.

Awesome drive from ALO. It was nice to see him on a charge toward the sharp end of the grid with a Honda engine behind him.

Very nice drive from SAI, too. I hope he gets scooped up by a bigger team in a year or two.

Also a very nice drive for MAG just when he needed it.

If I'm Renault, needing to decide between these two and I hear PAL whine on the radio about needing help, I do exactly what they did: nothing. If you're faster, prove it and get by.

Shame about GUT and HAAS in general. It's almost unbelievable that the same thing, brakes, would still be a problem for them. F1 teams don't usually take this long to fix things.

I was really happy to see Alonso driving with inspiration for a change. Even though the Honda is still down on power, it seems that they got the chassis right, and ALO looked notably fast on the twisty bits. He did complain during qualifying (or maybe in practice, I don't remember for sure) that they were losing .15 seconds on the straights.

I take it you guys the States didn't get to see how big of a horse's behind Venus Williams was. Martin Brundle wanted to say his customary hello, how are you enjoying the weekend, during his grid walk, and she snubbed him terribly. See here. Of course she had no problems wanting to be around for the celebration after the race.

Hopefully someone reminds Bernie of this when grid passes are handed out next year, and hopefully he'll still be deciding who gets them, or have some influence. It's not exactly like Martin wastes a lot of a person's time during a grid walk or asks any difficult or uncomfortable questions. Venus could have taken a lesson from Bernie this weekend, actually. He didn't seem to be very talkative either, but took a few seconds to say hello to Martin and tried to point out Jeff Gordon to him. Deflect. Don't snub.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I take it you guys the States didn't get to see how big of a horse's behind Venus Williams was. Martin Brundle wanted to say his customary hello, how are you enjoying the weekend, during his grid walk, and she snubbed him terribly. Of course she had no problems wanting to be around for the celebration after the race.

She was only there to yuck it up with Hamilton. And even then only because he's black, and made it to the top of his sport like she did. Does anyone actually think if the champion was Rosberg, she would have been there? I see where Lindsey Vonn has ditched the wholesome, girl next door look. In favor of her $100.00 streetwalker / hooker imitation. I didn't even recognize her until they mentioned who she was. These people are more plastic than a Tupperware bowl.

Well Garak I cannot stand Venus or Serena Williams. They are an embarrassment to their sport and this country in general. Look at Serena's terrible actions and treatment of a line's person at the US Open several years ago. Just dreadful. These two = pieces of garbage.

I didn't catch the specific incidents with Venus, but I will say that, overall, it's much better for the sport if Lewis Hamilton is WDC. He's better at publicity and bringing in celebs. that draw attention to the sport.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I didn't catch the specific incidents with Venus, but I will say that, overall, it's much better for the sport if Lewis Hamilton is WDC. He's better at publicity and bringing in celebs. that draw attention to the sport.

Then perhaps the FIA and Ecclestone should just hire strippers and be done with it. It looks like they almost had one with Vonn parading around painted up and dressed like one. It's negative attention the sport doesn't need. They've got more than enough of a circus with Monaco every year. People in general have more respect for drivers like Schumacher or Vettel, who keep their private lives private. They put on their show, and draw attention to the sport when they race. Which is how it should be. Instead of flaunting a party lifestyle, and constantly hauling people to the track to yuck it up with them like Hamilton does.

It's cheap and superficial, and adds nothing to the sport. If people want to see that petty garbage, they can watch the Academy Awards. Or all the other dog and pony shows those type of attention starved people flock to on a never ending basis. Vettle has been with the same woman since high school, and he's been World Champion 4 times. I've never seen her at the track once. Hamilton is constantly bringing attention to himself.

I could care less what Hamilton does. Or who he hangs with. I don't like seeing him, or anyone else turn the garage into a party club. I doubt Ferrari would even allow that type of behavior in their garage. It's one thing to have a wife or girl friend sitting patiently, watching the race. It's another to turn the place into a, "Look who I know. Ain't I great!", party club. He appears to need constant attention, beyond what he can achieve with his driving. I don't think most find that admirable. Instead it's as superficial as the people he drags to the track. I offer up the tramp Vonn as proof. She looked and acted like she needed more attention than Hamilton. Perhaps the two were made for each other. It all makes me wonder what they'll do to get it after their careers are long over? Neither appears to be very tolerant of the quiet life.

I was thinking that Verstappen's father needed to be more nearby when I saw the kid sitting with Vonn. You hope that he is as mature offtrack as on to keep vultures like Vonn in perspective. I would not have been.....

On the subject of Bernie and him hoping Lewis wins I agree that it is just his PR value that drives that. Both for lifestyle and for a diverse audience worldwide. It's another advertsing niche that he knows can be improved and SOLD.

Venus Williams, the less said the better but she looked like she might be nursing a hangover or worse.

Last edited:
Yep, I don't know about some of these people. Lindsay Vonn fairly blatantly snubbed her sponsor a couple times. I'm not sure if it was deliberate or she doesn't know any better. Maybe a phone call from Dietrich Mateschitz would remind her where her cheques come from and where to spend her time and focus her F1 comments.

As for watching over Verstappen, I'm sure Helmut Marko can be a very good mother hen, as it were. I had turned off by then, anyhow. Ironically, last week, Lindsay Vonn was complaining she has body image issues. Okay, then the last thing a woman of her size and stature with body image issues should be doing is hanging out at the F1 paddock with a bunch of midget drivers - I can say that because I'm 5'9" and 135 lbs, too. I don't grouse that I'm too small and skinny and then get my pictures taken with the Lakers or backstage at Mr. Universe with my shirt off.

I would agree from a publicity standpoint that Lewis Hamilton is a great champion. But, I'm one of those people who prefers a driver to drive without a lot of complaints and outside diversions, or a hockey player to play hockey, and so forth. I'm not interested in Lewis Hamilton's friends, hangers on, hobbies, or his taste in music or fashion. If he's not wearing his racing coveralls, I have absolutely no interest in what he's doing, and that goes for just about everyone on the grid.

As for Venus, this will backfire. I don't think she understands how big F1 is in Britain and what kind of reaction she might face from the crowd at Wimbledon next time. Too bad it isn't two weeks away rather than a couple months past. She missed a great opportunity. Martin Brundle asks the softest questions possible in the shortest period of time.

Originally Posted By: billt460
It looks like they almost had one with Vonn parading around painted up and dressed like one. It's negative attention the sport doesn't need. They've got more than enough of a circus with Monaco every year.

Yes. That event has enough people who don't watch the race and couldn't identify more than two drivers on the grid and are just there for the party and the pictures.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Look at Serena's terrible actions and treatment of a line's person at the US Open several years ago.

I had heard about that, but fortunately didn't have to witness it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well Garak I cannot stand Venus or Serena Williams. They are an embarrassment to their sport and this country in general. Look at Serena's terrible actions and treatment of a line's person at the US Open several years ago. Just dreadful. These two = pieces of garbage.

Was it worse than anything John McEnroe did?

No, but his bad behaviour doesn't excuse Venus's bad behaviour, either.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back