"Supreme keeps the intake side cleaner"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning folks. I recently had some work done on a FZJ80 Land Cruiser by a well known/respected mechanic within the LC circle. This gentleman has been working on LC's for over 35 years and has his own shop. His shop does everything from major fabrications/builds to engine rebuilding and anything in-between. So when he states that he uses 91 octane "supreme" in his LC's because it "keeps the intake side cleaner" I was a bit confused. From my research here and elsewhere over the years, I was under the impression that a higher octane rating does nothing for an engine that is not designed for it. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Could be more additive in the higher cost fuel.I paid more for 91 Shell for the additional additive package until merchant dropped Shell and went to ?????.

When buying premium you are not usually JUST buying the higher octane gas. You are usually also buying more additives including cleaning additives and some friction modifiers. In fact, I would think all premium gases are this way.

Regardless of the additive mix in premium gas vs. regular, I have a very difficult time believing there's any difference in how the intake would look.

I really didn't press him any more on the subject, just absorbed the info. I use only Chevron gas, so I do believe though that an 87 octane from Chevron would suffice in keeping the fuel delivery system in tip top shape. However, if it is in fact true that a 91 flavor would make any difference, I would run it.

I do not think any potential benefit from cleaning would offset the increased cost associated with Supreme. For example, if Supreme is .50 more per gallon with a 15 gallon fillup--you've just bought yourself a bottle of Gumout All-In-One at Walmart for the difference is gasoline cost
Steve

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
That is why I buy Costco regular with 5 times the required cleaning agents.

5 times the *legally* required cleaning agents, actually about one fifth of the necessary cleaning agents.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I really didn't press him any more on the subject, just absorbed the info. I use only Chevron gas, so I do believe though that an 87 octane from Chevron would suffice in keeping the fuel delivery system in tip top shape. However, if it is in fact true that a 91 flavor would make any difference, I would run it.

Since you're using Chevron, it is top tier gas. Top tier gas requires all flavors to meet the TTG requirements, not just only the "Supreme, Super, Premium, etc" aka 91 AKI, 93 AKI, etc (and whatever it is in the high elevations).

Ethanol is an great fuel system cleaner if it's in your gas. No real need for anything else that I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back