Please, pick me an oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil change time coming due for my Terrain. I've used PP in the other vehicle which I no longer have. My trepidation is from
the fact the Terrain is DI. I've read that oils with low volatility #'s are better. Quaker State 5w30 Ultimate Durability is a 10 according to PQIA 2016 test results. I consider wear protection and cleanliness top priorities, but PP and Mobil 1 have much higher Volatility 13-14 if I remember. In the last 1800 miles I did have to add about 20 oz. to top it off. So, If I'm going to have to be adding make up oil now and again, I don't want expensive like Mobil 1. Its like $7.98 a quart at walmart. Quaker state UD looks better price wise, but will it keep the engine clean? I bought the Terrain used this past July
with 42,000 miles on it. Was wondering if I could get the rings cleaned up some with Quaker state UD 5w30? I like to change my oil every 6 months, usually
May and Nov. Current fill is Pennzoil Gold 5w30. Thanks for your time.

Where do you get M1 & PP at that NOACK ?
Also - prices/quart ? - even if I had a 1 quart engine I'd buy jugs ...

Originally Posted By: Neptune
Quaker State 5w30 Ultimate Durability is a 10 according to PQIA 2016 test results.

I rate QSUD a minus 10. I hate that stuff.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Where do you get M1 & PP at that NOACK ?
Also - prices/quart ? - even if I had a 1 quart engine I'd buy jugs ...

I said, if I remember. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I know its not as low as 10.

I do buy jugs, but for top off I like quart size. I don't stash oil. Not that that's a bad thing, just something I
don't do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Quaker State 5w30 Ultimate Durability is a 10 according to PQIA 2016 test results.

mind telling me why?

Try using the oil finder or guide pages of a major brand engine oil company like Mobil, Castrol, Shell or Sopus group inc Penn and Liqui Moly.

If you use a cheap or thin oil with an engine known to cause fuel contamination, you sure will get the result you pay for.

QSUD has worked well for me (I currently have it in the Silverado 5.3), and I'm sure it would for you, too.

Once you get past initial specifications I'd search for something with a wide mouth and an easy to read clear strip on the side. That way the bottle will take a funnel properly, and you can more easily drain the waste oil into it.

Nothing worse than chasing around 1qt bottles with tiny necks while hoisting a full drain pan...

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Any dexos oil and follow OLM.

+2 If you're looking to save money you can use Supertech Syn but I would really recommend PP.

Always follow the Owner's Manual for oil and OCI requirements. FWIW, Quaker State and Pennzoil are both owned by SOPUS (Shell) with Pennzoil being their premium line. My personal preference is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with the Pure Plus (GTL-base) technology but, in all honesty, any brand name synthetic will get the job done.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Any dexos oil and follow OLM.

Yep. Run up to Walmart and take your pick. That way it is your pick and not someone else's idea of what you should use.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Try using the oil finder or guide pages of a major brand engine oil company like Mobil, Castrol, Shell or Sopus group inc Penn and Liqui Moly.

If you use a cheap or thin oil with an engine known to cause fuel contamination, you sure will get the result you pay for.
Define "cheap".

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I'd like to hear this reasoning as well.

QSUD does well for our CX-5.

So, If I'm going to have to be adding make up oil now and again, I don't want expensive like Mobil 1.

Any decent name-brand conventional will do just fine.

Ha ha, I suffered this dilemma years ago and finally went with Euro oils, they're robust and designed for extended drains. Been running Castrol Edge 0w-40 in everything I have for years.

Originally Posted By: supton
Once you get past initial specifications I'd search for something with a wide mouth and an easy to read clear strip on the side. That way the bottle will take a funnel properly, and you can more easily drain the waste oil into it.

Nothing worse than chasing around 1qt bottles with tiny necks while hoisting a full drain pan...

I have 3 5 gal. containers to put the used oil in until I'm ready to recycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back