World Series picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to say Cleveland takes it. I'm just hoping that it's a great 7 game series. I don't want it to be done in four quick games, regardless of who takes it.

Having grown up in Rocky River, I naturally favor the Indians.
The Indians have been to two World Series in my lifetime but last won one long before I was even a gleam in my father's eye.
I'd love to see a seven game series. That would end up as a real pitcher's dual, with both teams reaching deep into their bullpens just to find a rested starter and then ready relievers.
The ultimate would be the Cleveland Indians vs the Cincinnati Rednecks, which is what we called the team on what was then not known as the North Coast.
Some of this was envy back in the days of the Big Red Machine.

I was hoping for a Cubs/Indians World Series. Be nice to see one of them win. I don't care which. I don't think Cubs fans could handle them winning. LOL. Never seen such nervous fans in the 9th inning with a 5-0 lead and their pitchers totally dominating the Dodgers.

Originally Posted By: redsox1975
I'm taking the Cubs in 6. Fly the W!
+1 - Since the Red Sox did not make it, I am pulling for the Cubs.

I live about 7 miles north west of Wrigley Field and work within a mile of the friendly confines.

I don't know much about the Indians rotation, however I know they were smoking hot. I hope this time off between series cooled them off.

Cubs are finally hitting and pitching well.

Cubs in 6

Chicago was rocking last night. I can't imagine the party that would happen.

I say the Cubs in 5. Cleveland really isn't a big offensive threat, IMO. In beating the Blue Jays in the ALCS they only hit .160 for the series! Apparently it's the lowest batting average of any team to advance to the World Series ever. I really think Cleveland got lucky and came up against Boston and Toronto at just the right time, when both teams hitters were slumping. Under any other circumstances they shouldn't have beaten Boston, let alone Toronto. That's not to say they aren't a good team, just not the typical type of team to win the World Series. Next year I don't think they'll even be a contender at all, while the Cubs will probably be contenders for a few years in a row.

Cleveland has been the underdog since day one of the playoffs and NO ONE has given them a chance regardless of who they have played. It is no different now with the Cubs.

Cleveland wasn't supposed to be able to survive the Red Sox powerhouse offense and everyone said the Sox had a big edge in pitching. I admit I figured the Sox in a sweep or taking it 3-1. Cleveland swept the series with EASE!

Cleveland wasn't supposed to be able to survive the Blue Jays powerhouse offense. Cleveland took the series with EASE!

Once again no one is giving Cleveland a chance and the Cubs( the National League version of the Red Sox this year )are the overwhelming favorites to win with their powerhouse offense and good pitching. The way the pundits are talking we may as well forgo the games and just give the Cub's the series.

Can Cleveland defy the odds makers 3X's in a row? I hope so. Now that the Red Sox are out I will cheer for Cleveland and Francona who got the royal screw job from the Red Sox.

I would have thought I would have fallen in behind the Cubs as their fans have long suffered without a championship( or even a shot at it )for a long time like we Red Sox fans did. However, the annoying media and Cubs fans( hey, how about you wait to win something before mouthing off ), and the fact the liar John Lester plays for the Cubs, have soured me on the Cubs.

Go Indians!!!

Last edited:
I rarely agree with anything you post, but in this case I think you've nailed it.
The notion that Cleveland is some kind of mediocre team that got lucky while the Cubs are a super team this season is silly.
Baseball is always a game of pitching, not hitting.
A tough pitcher on his game will shut down any number of good hitters.
Even the force plays are often only possible due to the pitcher along with the easily caught fly balls.
As is always the case in baseball, this series will be decided by whomever has the better bullpen and that can vary by the day.
It isn't the number of runs you score, it's the number that you deny the other team.
Go Cleveland!

I think it will be a long fought series, could turn into a classic.

Should be a 6/7 game series....I just having a feeling though someone will step up and be the hero for the cubs....

But it will be close!

On paper the Indians don't stand a chance, but there have been plenty of WS matchups like this that have gone the other way. I think most people were picking the A's to sweep the Reds in 1990, but the Reds swept them. Still, I gotta go with the Cubs in this one in 5...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Cleveland has been the underdog since day one of the playoffs ot at it )for a long time like we Red Sox fans did. However, the annoying media and Cubs fans( hey, how about

What playoffs are you watching? They virtually swept their way to the WS just dropping Gm3 of the CS to Toronto. How is that underdog? How many sports championships does Leaveland really need in the course of a year?

Originally Posted By: grampi
On paper the Indians don't stand a chance, but there have been plenty of WS matchups like this that have gone the other way. I think most people were picking the A's to sweep the Reds in 1990, but the Reds swept them. Still, I gotta go with the Cubs in this one in 5...

Last night's six to zip result doesn't seem to indicate a five game series with the Cubs on top.
We'll see what happens tonight.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: grampi

Last night's six to zip result doesn't seem to indicate a five game series with the Cubs on top.
We'll see what happens tonight.

Yeah, that pretty much shoots my prediction in the throat...I don't see the Cubs winning 4 straight now...

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Cleveland has been the underdog since day one of the playoffs ot at it )for a long time like we Red Sox fans did. However, the annoying media and Cubs fans( hey, how about

What playoffs are you watching? They virtually swept their way to the WS just dropping Gm3 of the CS to Toronto. How is that underdog? How many sports championships does Leaveland really need in the course of a year?

Underdog to the media pundits then and now. I said they swept both series with EASE. My post was conveying they are not getting the respect they deserve. Not sure how you can read anything else into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back