RIP Bobby Vee

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite singers passed away today from alzheimers. Bobby Vee was most famous for being an early 60s teen idol,but I've always loved his late 60s sunshine pop:

Too sad. I'm sure we had 2 of those singles around in the house in the early 60's (Come Back Girl and Thousand Eyes). Great songs.

Vee's career began in the midst of tragedy. On February 3, 1959, "The Day the Music Died," three of the four headline acts in the lineup of the traveling Winter Dance Party; Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper—were killed, along with the 21-year-old pilot, Roger Peterson, in the crash of a V-tailed 1947 Beechcraft Bonanza airplane. (Dion DiMucci, the second headliner, had opted not to travel on the plane.) It crashed near Clear Lake, Iowa, en route to the next show on the tour itinerary in Moorhead, Minnesota. Velline, then 15 years of age, and a hastily assembled band of Fargo schoolboys calling themselves the Shadows volunteered for, and were given, the unenviable job of filling in for Holly and his band at the Moorhead engagement. Their performance there was a success, setting in motion a chain of events that led to Vee's career as a popular singer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back