Bypassing admin restrictions on work computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Win 7. Is there an easy way to temporarily bypass admin restrictions on a work computer? The reason that I want to do this, is so that I can update all the drivers that are outdated. The admins are based out of Ft Worth, and they don't like to do those types of updates. I'm the amateur admin here in my office.

I'm a former enterprise network level IT policy guy. My advice to you is to quit worrying about it. This is the kind of thing they use to fire people. Drivers must be vetted. There's a reason why they don't do updates willy nilly.

Last edited:
there is, it's call a dvd with Linux on it.
whistle.gif

as for updating driver, not really. your more then likely on a domain, so they own your computer. You can however remove your pc from the domain. update the drivers and try to rejoin the domain. but in doing so you could really [censored] off the IT people when you have to call them and ask for help rejoing a pc to the domain. why not call them and ask them to do it for you. and state that any problems incurred from these updates would fall on your shoulders to the bosses. and hope the rollback feature works as it wasn't written to do.
i hate windows.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
.... The admins are based out of Ft Worth, and they don't like to do those types of updates. I'm the amateur admin here in my office.

Easy. Get permission from the Admins to do it.

If you request it right, they'll jump at the chance for you to take care of it for them.

Last edited:
Win 7. Is there an easy way to temporarily bypass admin restrictions on a work computer?

If there was, there'd be no reason to have those restrictions in place to begin with.

The reason that I want to do this, is so that I can update all the drivers that are outdated.

Why?

I'm the amateur admin here in my office.

*sigh*

What problem are you trying to fix with new drivers?

If they're just out of date and the problem is your OCD, you need to get over it.

Bypassing admin restrictions on work computer...

You don't.

I'm the amateur admin here in my office.

Leave it to the IT staff. It only serves to make a mess when the amateurs muck around with it.

I do this for a living. The drivers get approved by IT, and we decide when we are going to push them to our clients.

The latest OS patches sometimes have problems and we go through them to see what is OK to release to staff.

Also it is not your computer, so don't go trying to hack it. People get terminated for doing that. Don't worry about it!

Simple answer = call your IT staff. They will give you a yes or no. Leave it at that. Controls are in place for a reason.

The admins are in "if it aint broke don't fix it" mode. Bypassing your domain or adding your own software is usually grounds for immediate termination. I had a guy crash our whole network by installing his "Lincoln Town Car" screen saver off a floppy drive. It took 3 days to repair. After that my IT guy removed his floppy drive, padlocked the computer case and gorilla glued his USB ports.
lol.gif
lol.gif

As someone who do software development for a living, I'd say do not mess with a known version of software, firmware, driver, hardware, design, specification, etc unless you have a problem or security risk.

We tend to break something when we fix something else. I've lost a serial port for mouse once because the new bios screwed up, and if it is at work it would probably bring down a working system. So, don't mess with things when it is not your responsibility.

Win 7. Is there an easy way to temporarily bypass admin restrictions on a work computer? The reason that I want to do this, is so that I can update all the drivers that are outdated. The admins are based out of Ft Worth, and they don't like to do those types of updates. I'm the amateur admin here in my office.

Given your history of computer questions in this forum, I'd say if it working, don't touch it. Leave it be.

Unless there is a problem you are trying to fix, or a feature you need, don't change the provided configuration.

You have no idea what they may be planning to roll out in the future. Your changing the expected configuration may break things currently or future roll outs.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Given your history of computer questions in this forum, I'd say if it working, don't touch it. Leave it be.

Huge +1.

daves66nova, please don't take it the wrong way, but based on all your prior posts/issues related to computers, the above is really the best advice.

If it is a driver thing, I'd presume that the new driver either introduces some whiz-bang feature or tweaks something in order to realize a marginal increase in efficiency or some other thing that is either currently being reviewed by your IT nerds or has been deemed unworthy of the trouble of updating. As difficult as it is to not stick your grubby little hands into this situation, you must dig deep and find the will to resist fiddling with it! ;^)

"Amateur admin" means what?

You might want to read up on your companies computer use policy. Trying to circumvent controls can lead to termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back