Oil choice for VW 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

No way. Tons of good choices in oil. In politics you have groups of people fighting over terrible choices.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Wow, got a little heated in here. Thanks for all the info guys! I am a Honda nut myself but am enjoying learning more about VW. Again, for now I plan on changing the oil half way between the dealer freebees with Castrol 0w40.

Oils are worst then politics.

No way. Tons of good choices in oil. In politics you have groups of people fighting over terrible choices.

OP, 5k changes with Castrol 0W-40 will certainly not do any harm. Are you planning on changing the filter at 5k as well, or running it for the full 10,000?

Ill let the dealer handle the filter changes, so it will go 10K.

Ask then if you can have the filter when they remove it. Myself or one of the more prominent filter-cutter members will open it up for you if you send it.

Ask then if you can have the filter when they remove it. Myself or one of the more prominent filter-cutter members will open it up for you if you send it.

Its a cartridge...what is there to open up other than opening up the pleats? Thanks for the offer but I have cut open numerous filters myself.

Its a cartridge...what is there to open up other than opening up the pleats? Thanks for the offer but I have cut open numerous filters myself.

So then went back to a cartridge, huh? I left VW in 2015 when the EA888 still used a spin-on.

So then went back to a cartridge, huh? I left VW in 2015 when the EA888 still used a spin-on.

This is a 2014 1.8T EA888 and it uses a cartridge. So your saying your EA888 used a spin-on? What car and engine did you have, and what year?

This is a 2014 1.8T EA888 and it uses a cartridge. So your saying your EA888 used a spin-on? What car and engine did you have, and what year?

The Gen 1 and 2 EA888 used a male-threaded spin-on filter. I left VW in December 2014, before the MK7 cars with the Gen 3 EA888 (1.8 and 2.0) were hitting their 1yr/10k mark. I never got the chance to service one, save for a recall on the GTI where the sway bar end links were maybe possibly loose from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back