.22 LR @ Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
The demand for reloading powder is now relaxing. It has become available once again.
Bill - You are correct; from my experience shelves in local stores and online sources now have more things "in stock" vs "unavailable".

I only hope that remains the case after November 8th...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Bill - You are correct; from my experience shelves in local stores and online sources now have more things "in stock" vs "unavailable".

I only hope that remains the case after November 8th...

It will if Trump wins. If Hillary does, the whole ugly process will repeat itself. Pardon the politics, but it is a major fact concerning availability of anything firearms related. Which is what this thread is all about.

You have to remember that for the most part Wal-Mart gets no where near the amount of .22 ammunition a lot of other places get, because they sell it so cheap. Most distributors are selling it to places like Cabela's, and other stores that charge a minimum of $50.00 a brick or more.

I'm sure that Walmart orders and receives just as much 22 ammo, if not more, than any other store. Walmart has 5229 stores so do the math. I've read that CCI actually makes 4 million rounds in a day so let's go with that number and the big names, Remington, Winchester and Federal doing the same. If combined, and those four sold only to Walmart, that would be 16 million rounds or 32k bricks going to Walmart per day. That equates to 6.1 bricks per store per day. That's nothing for the Hoarders to scarf up.

Realistically, let's say Walmart buys 10% of what's being manufactured. That would mean every store could only receive about 4 bricks a week. Even if Walmart only stocked 22 ammo in half of their stores those would have a whopping 8 bricks a week to feed the masses.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
I'm sure that Walmart orders and receives just as much 22 ammo, if not more, than any other store. Walmart has 5229 stores so do the math. I've read that CCI actually makes 4 million rounds in a day so let's go with that number and the big names, Remington, Winchester and Federal doing the same. If combined, and those four sold only to Walmart, that would be 16 million rounds or 32k bricks going to Walmart per day. That equates to 6.1 bricks per store per day. That's nothing for the Hoarders to scarf up.

Realistically, let's say Walmart buys 10% of what's being manufactured. That would mean every store could only receive about 4 bricks a week. Even if Walmart only stocked 22 ammo in half of their stores those would have a whopping 8 bricks a week to feed the masses.

That doesn't change the fact Cabela's, Bass Pro, ****'s, Sportsman's Warehouse, all have it in stock most every day of the week. The reason is they are willing to pay the distributors more than Wal-Mart is for the exact same product. Yes, it means they have to charge their customers more, so be it. Wal-Mart can't sell what they don't have.... Regardless of how cheap they're willing to sell it for. They will continue to be poorly stocked with .22 ammo until..... They are willing to pay their distributors more. They're not, so the result is they've got the cheapest .22 ammo in town that you can't buy.

Another thing you must remember, is Wal-Mart's business model is based on buying in massive amounts as cheaply as possible. Then passing that savings along to the consumer through their thousands of stores nationwide. That only works when the supply of whatever they're buying is plentiful. It gets all shot to he!! when they can't buy in those massive amounts, because other companies are willing to pay more for the same thing. Then Wal-Mart's prices are so low they don't have any product to buy, let alone sell.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They don't put it on the shelf here so they don't have a spot for it. They roll the cart with .22 out and it's empty in 3 minutes.

BC clerks call their buddies and tell them its going on the shelves. Pretty obvious.

I buy 9mm/.380 at targetsportsusa.com. F them

That doesn't change the fact Cabela's, Bass Pro, ****'s, Sportsman's Warehouse, all have it in stock most every day of the week. The reason is they are willing to pay the distributors more than Wal-Mart is for the exact same product. Yes, it means they have to charge their customers more, so be it. Wal-Mart can't sell what they don't have.... Regardless of how cheap they're willing to sell it for. They will continue to be poorly stocked with .22 ammo until..... They are willing to pay their distributors more. They're not, so the result is they've got the cheapest .22 ammo in town that you can't buy.

Quoted for truth!!

I am not buying .22 right now. But its always available at ****'s
My bro in law saw it available at Wallyworld the other cay and bought 700 rounds e3ven though he does not shoot anymore = hoarding.

Last edited:

Until Wal-Mart starts charging what everyone else is, they are going to have a minuscule supply of .22 ammo trickling in at best..... None in fact.

I think you mean they will have a minuscule amount on the shelf. Plenty is coming in but it's going out just as fast. Cabela's or Bass Pro may also receive much more inventory(I wouldn't know)but there are also buyers like myself who will walk right past a $50 box of 22 LR.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Plenty is coming in but it's going out just as fast.

There are many, many Wal-Mart stores that haven't seen any .22's in months. My local store is one of them. The Glendale Cabela's less than 2 miles away has the shelves stocked full most all the time. Plenty of customers as well. Both stores and customers have to pay to play.

Speaking of ammo. I buy from targetsportsusa and I am starting to notice that you need more and more to be notified when what you want is available.
Its probably due to angst over the election. Shootingh and demand falls off for most folks at this time of year.

Originally Posted By: Al
Shooting and demand falls off for most folks at this time of year.

Not really. This is the start of hunting season across the country. More firearms, ammunition, scopes, and other firearms related products are sold from now until the end of the year, than at any other time.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

Until Wal-Mart starts charging what everyone else is, they are going to have a minuscule supply of .22 ammo trickling in at best..... None in fact.

I think you mean they will have a minuscule amount on the shelf. Plenty is coming in but it's going out just as fast. Cabela's or Bass Pro may also receive much more inventory(I wouldn't know)but there are also buyers like myself who will walk right past a $50 box of 22 LR.

Exactly! When Cabela's 51 stores receive the same number of cases as Walmart's 5000+ stores and, price them higher than Jeff Spicoli, they will sit on the shelf until more comes in making it seem like they are getting much more in than WM.

Last edited:
I picked up a pail of 1,400 HP Remington .22 LR today for $70 out the door at ****'s. Only in the past month or so have I seen .22LR on the shelves (in any store) in any appreciable quantities. I do not shoot .22 ammo that often, but I thought the price at ****'s was not bad. They had cases of it (new store opening), but the Winchester 9MM FMJ ammo they had as Buy One, Get One at 50% off is all gone and that was about 500 boxes worth in the past 3 days. Wow!

I went to WalMart 2 weeks ago and they had .22LR on the shelf for the first time in years. Didn't see any 500 round bricks, but they had a few varieties of 100-rd boxes for somewhat reasonable prices - 5 to 7 cents a round. I bought a box.

I picked up a pail of 1,400 HP Remington .22 LR today for $70 out the door at ****'s.
That's a he!! of a deal.
I was thinking that when I bought them.

Originally Posted By: Al
Shooting and demand falls off for most folks at this time of year.

Not really. This is the start of hunting season across the country. More firearms, ammunition, scopes, and other firearms related products are sold from now until the end of the year, than at any other time.

We have a club of 1300 definately falls off (in our club)..I am talking pistol.

BTW Bass Pro had (for practical purposes) no .22.

I picked up a pail of 1,400 HP Remington .22 LR today for $70 out the door at ****'s.
That's a he!! of a deal.
I was thinking that when I bought them.

Better than even Walmart ... 5 cents a round including tax.

Last year when I picked up my Henry Silver Eagle at Cabela's I was allotted the option to buy one 50 shot box of .22. Thought that was insane. They can't keep it on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Creating a false demand for a good is not a form of capitalism.

Uh if a consumer is buying all of any commodity and decides to hoard it because he or she believes there will be a massive shortage or price increase.....that is not a false demand. That is a real demand. Having a manufacturer of the product collude with another manufacturer of a product to limit the quantity of production in order to drive up the price based on limited availability is a false demand and violated US anti-trust laws. Confronting someone who has decided to corner the market and calling them "greedy" is not only dangerous but very childish and illustrates your lack of a broader perspective on the market. Perhaps you might consider shopping elsewhere or getting there earlier versus verbally assaulting people based on your frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back