Oil Filture failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
If that's the inside of the dome pictured and the filter cut open now, any redress that 'might' have been available from K&N is now very likely gone. That's assuming it could/would have been determined to be the cause of the stated engine failure.

While filter manufacture date not exactly old, not exactly new either. Wondering what kind of storage environment it had prior to installation.

They'll probably do nothing since the filter was cut open, even though we know better....

Yes, the Fram rep commenting in this forum last year said quoting, "ALL oil filter companies with no exceptions will not warranty a cut open filter as it cannot be tested at all." Still worth a shot I suppose, but have an out based on that.

I interpreted from reading that the filter was installed in April, that being the case winter road salt 'shouldn't' be a factor. Why I asked about prior storage of the made in 2012 (according to date code) filter prior to installation. 'If' it was in pristine condition on installation, sure is extreme rusting for a filter seeing only normal summer driving use.

It sure looks like it has been in service a lot longer, but anything is possible. What's unfortunate is he gave them the prefect out by cutting that filter open. It would be nice to see the little guy win every once in a while without going through great lengths. I doubt that won't be the case here.

There is no way that has only been on a car for 6 months, that is deep corrosion.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: robo339
Pretty sure all the bonus pics he posted are Google images not his filter

If true that is shaddy for someone with no posts... Love all the dumb replies from people who believe it is actually only 6 months old.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Pretty sure all the bonus pics he posted are Google images not his filter

If true that is shaddy for someone with no posts... Love all the dumb replies from people who believe it is actually only 6 months old.

When I read this earlier I ran a couple of the pics through Tineye but didn't get a hit. I didn't run them all though.

Guys, he states on his second set of pictures that they (2nd set) are NOT his images. They (and other leaking K&N filters) can be found on Google Images:
https://www.google.com/search?q=K%26N+oil+filter+crack&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSqJnskejPAhWF7SYKHREkAkwQ_AUICigD&biw=1920&bih=920#tbm=isch&q=K%26N+oil+filter+leak

His original pictures are of an uncut filter, so it still might be available to send in to K & N. It would be better if a service garage had documented all of this.

Here is the March 2016 post on a Honda forum that he sourced his 2nd set of pictures from to show that this has happened before: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-m...ing-leak-2.html

This Honda thread also states that K&N has stopped recommending using the nut for filter install (just use it for removal), implying that maybe the cracks are an over tightening problem.

Confusion on my part regarding the comingling of general google image pictures with the topic K&N now cleared up for me by doitmyself. Thanks to him.
cheers3.gif

'If' the OP still has the topic filter intact/uncut, he 'may' still have some recourse with K&N. I hope he does.

Still if the 2012 manufactured K&N was in new and non rusted condition upon installation, it seems an excessive amount of rust. That's even more so for being run in non winter, non salt road conditions. That's if "oil filter was changed in April" means installed in April.

Good luck to the OP, sorry for your engine result.

Originally Posted By: username77
So looks pretty rusty
Installed in April

OF WHAT YEAR??!!!
That was either installed in April of several years ago or it's a good reason to stay away from K&N completely. (Not that I ever use them anyway)

Originally Posted By: Kruse
So looks pretty rusty
Installed in April

OF WHAT YEAR??!!!
That was either installed in April of several years ago ...

And that's how K&N would probably look at it, and most likely deny any warranty claim.

Even in salty conditions, I cannot see this filter installed in April of 2016.

Did the OP put it on himself? If he had someone else put it on, how does he know that they actually put the filter on or maybe just lied about that?

That looks like a solid year of rust, at least, possibly as many as four.

Why is the date code blacked out?

I blacked it out because I thought it was a lot number or serial number
And I do not want to mess up any future claims for the person if they decide to try
If you let me know how to read the date code I will say it

Somethings fishy here.. That filter has been in use for a long time. Good luck trying for a claim.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Overpriced and way overrated.
frown.gif

+1. For that price I'd be running Royal Purple or Amsoil oil filters!

Or OEM.
That's what I do and have done for years. Use the OEM.

Looks like a fine example of when a gimmick used to command a price premium backfires and actually increases consumers' chances at winning the equipment failure lottery. Can you imagine paying that premium simply to be eligible to win a knackered engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back