Spark plug replacement - how often & anti-seize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed a 180k mile 2.2 Ecotec in my 03 Cavalier. Engine had the original plugs at 180k, they were well worn and way out of spec gap wise, but the engine still ran fine with no misfire. I installed new AC Delco Iridiums, which were the OE plug, with a little antiseize. I will leave them in there for 100k.

I always use anti-seize on my spark plugs. Stuck and broken plugs along with stripped thread can turn a routine job into a nightmare. NGK coated get it too because that coating may help, but it just don't hold up to heat and weather from my experience.

What I don't know is copper or the aluminum anti-seize best for spark plugs? I have been using the aluminum, and that's been doing the job so far over the years.

I just did the plugs on my mom's '07 Saturn Vue with the 2.2 Ecotec and it was a super simple job. 122,000 miles on the OEM plugs and they really looked good, could have easily gone another 50k.
I used some Bosch fine wire iridium plugs, no antiseize, used a torque wrench to install them. Never have to worry about them again, she will stop driving before those need to be done again.

I recently changed the plugs on my Matrix because they'd been there 10 years and I worried about them getting stuck.
They had only 57k miles and the electrodes looked almost like new.
There was a little resistance taking them out.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I always use anti-seize on my spark plugs. Stuck and broken plugs along with stripped thread can turn a routine job into a nightmare. NGK coated get it too because that coating may help, but it just don't hold up to heat and weather from my experience.

What I don't know is copper or the aluminum anti-seize best for spark plugs? I have been using the aluminum, and that's been doing the job so far over the years.

Stuck plugs and stripped threads have been a problem for years, VW had thread inserts for air cooled engines all the way back to the 60's. Your right the plating isn't always working well. I did a Subaru with NGK plated plugs and had PITA of a time coaxing them out without yanking the threads or breaking them off.
I use copper base for iron and aluminum base for aluminum heads, hot air cooled engines get graphite based.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubric...ze-lubricant-2/

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Spark-Plug-Anti-seize-2612/dp/B01BN647VW

120k on Ir Denso plugs per book here, and they look like new from 2UZ-EF. 100k on double plats Autolite in panthers.
I tried that no-antiseize pitch from literature on my mechanic a couple of times. He would smile and put a dab of it on every plug he installs.. Trust experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back