Audi buying back the 3-liter TDIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Quote:
Can't say I've driven the diesel or V8, but I'll never complain about more torque. The JGC with the Pentastar feels like it weighs 2 lbs.

Like I said, subjective thing. Many people find Prius powerful enough (not comparing power, just making point).
To kind of go back to subject, Audi Q7 3.0T (supercharged) has same issue. Not sure how they plan to tell people: yeah give as back torque monster for engine that not only is not powerful enough for that weight, but had some serious issues.

What are those serious issues in the 3.0T?

Oil rings! Not sure whether they addressed that issue, but VW had SIB on them due to high oil consumption.
And of course, CBU. Although it is not carbon deposit monster like 3.2 V6 that it replaced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The only two I can think of:

There is a fix kit for the accessory drive system. Some of them come misaligned from the factory and need an *ahem* $1600 "fix kit" from VW.

The DEF tank heater is known to fail.

There are ways around DEF tank issues, including radio shack $5 resistor to replace level sensors.
Also, temperature sensor for tank is $206, and it is sam part that goes to BMW, Audi and MB (developed together). BMW charges $2400 for whole tank, VW sells only sensor. So DIY solutions for these TDI's are slowly surfacing out.

Oil rings!

Same/similar to the early 2.0T? I don't have much OEM Audi experience.

There was an internal SIB for those oil rings. VW has habit of doing things quietly like in case of 1.9TDI engine and axels on turbo.
I am not sure is it exact same issue, but it was cause of high oil consumption.
Audi always had issues wth V6, and constantly changing displacement, solutions etc. It is case with TDI too. This current 3.0 V6 TDI is first V6 TDI VW/Audi engine that does not ahve huge structural issues. Previous one 2.5 V6 TDI (was available in Europe) was complete failure.

There was an internal SIB for those oil rings. VW has habit of doing things quietly like in case of 1.9TDI engine and axels on turbo.
Audi always had issues wth V6, and constantly changing displacement, solutions etc. It is case with TDI too. This current 3.0 V6 TDI is first V6 TDI VW/Audi engine that does not ahve huge structural issues. Previous one 2.5 V6 TDI (was available in Europe) was complete failure.

Having re-ringed a few 2.0T's, I would HATE to do that job on the V6. I never cared for the VW/Audi V6, but their VR6 always seemed to do well. No problems out of the latest 3.6.

Having re-ringed a few 2.0T's, I would HATE to do that job on the V6. I never cared for the VW/Audi V6, but their VR6 always seemed to do well. No problems out of the latest 3.6.

Yeah 3.6 is OK, but not up to competition. I mean I am not going to compare VW/Audi V6 to Pentastar, so looking real competition, BMW, Mercedes etc. it is not anything special, though I ave not heard of any major issues except it is sucking gas like MIG-21.
Problem for VW is that it wants to separate Audi from VW. So you get these underpowered engines in VW just so that Touareg cannot encroached on Q7 territory. I think VW has poor sale precisely because they are trying to make bigger distance between VW and Audi here in the U.S. then what they do in Europe. If they brought Euro models here they would do much better.

Quote:
Can't say I've driven the diesel or V8, but I'll never complain about more torque. The JGC with the Pentastar feels like it weighs 2 lbs.

Like I said, subjective thing. Many people find Prius powerful enough (not comparing power, just making point).
To kind of go back to subject, Audi Q7 3.0T (supercharged) has same issue. Not sure how they plan to tell people: yeah give as back torque monster for engine that not only is not powerful enough for that weight, but had some serious issues.

Oil rings! Not sure whether they addressed that issue, but VW had SIB on them due to high oil consumption.
And of course, CBU. Although it is not carbon deposit monster like 3.2 V6 that it replaced.

How wide spread are these issues? I frequent some audi forums and dont't see these being raised on this new 3.0T.

Quote:
How wide spread are these issues? I frequent some audi forums and dont't see these being raised on this new 3.0T.

All old C6 had that issue and C7's to certain date. I would say, but do not take me for word that your Q5 might have updated rings.
One thing is for sure, I would stay away from 5W40 Castrol in that engine. You know that NOACK in that oil is high and does not meet MB 229.5.

One thing is for sure, I would stay away from 5W40 Castrol in that engine. You know that NOACK in that oil is high and does not meet MB 229.5.

What do you think those few additional percentage points of Noack will do?

MB seems to be the only company in the world that requires Noack of 10% max. All others, including VAG, are fine with 12%.

Sure, there are better oils out there than Castrol 5w-40, but I feel we are in the hair splitting territory here.

What do you think those few additional percentage points of Noack will do?

MB seems to be the only company in the world that requires Noack of 10% max. All others, including VAG, are fine with 12%.

Sure, there are better oils out there than Castrol 5w-40, but I feel we are in the hair splitting territory here.

I see your point, but I have not see one VW maintained at dealership that does not have CBU issue.
On top of that I do not like using oils that I have no idea what is inside, also they do not provide any meaningful numbers. Considering 0W40 is so readily available or M1....

Agreed.

In our case, the oil is included in the Audi Care package, and i am way past that OCD BITOG stage where i would go out of my way to supply them my own oil.

It,s under extended warranty should anything happen, and after that, it will probably get sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back