Ford keys - If your vehicle is over 10 years....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
You are screwed if you end up losing both keys.

Expedition has been sitting all summer. It needs upper/lower ball joints, tie-rod ends and a trans cooler line. We've only ever had one key for the truck, but two fobs. Never got around to making a 2nd key after the first one was misplaced years and years ago. All of the aforementioned front-end goodies save the cooler line were replaced back at around the 150,000Km mark, it now has ~300,000Km on it, and this generation of Ford loves front end parts so that considered, it has been pretty good.

Went to Ford to get a new key made based on the VIN. They told us that they do not keep a record past 10 years. This blew my mind. It blew the mind of my Chrysler buddies too, who can apparently make a key for anything ever recorded in the system when it became computerized, which means we are talking 80's easily. I believe this is the case for all the other manufacturers too. With the price of storage, I'm not sure what the heck Ford's logic is based on here but it means I have several expensive options:

1. Get a locksmith to disassemble the ignition to be able to create a new "original" key for the vehicle. Then have the ECM reprogrammed to accept the new key.
2. Get a whole new suite of locks and ignition from Ford, get them to reprogram the ECM to accept the new keys.
3. Go to the wreckers and find a similar vintage Expedition that has its key and take all the locks as well as the ECM and fit them to my vehicle.
4. A hybrid of #1 and #3 with a wreckers ECM but having my own key pattern ground onto a new key with the "mate" as the pairing source. Might have to use the donor ignition for this one temporarily to perform the procedure. Prevents a total vehicle rekey and Ford from having to flash the ECM.

and:
5. Say screw it, pull the wheels and tires off it along with the battery and replace it, since it is worth less than $2K at this point and the body is starting to go on it. The tires are only a couple of years old and probably worth $7-800 with the rims (LTX M/S2's). It has been a great winter beater these last few years but the salt and sand has really wreaked havoc on the body, despite it getting sprayed. The rockers below the front doors on either side look like swiss cheese, and this only really started at the end of last winter. Amazing how fast it progresses
crazy2.gif

My issue with #5 is that despite the value of the vehicle, in recent years it has received:
1. New rad
2. New rear diff seal
3. New brakes
4. New tires
5. New battery
6. New front-shaft u-joints

I can pull the battery and tires, but the other stuff is a little hard to swallow. I'm probably looking at more than what the vehicle is worth to do the above repairs in conjunction with the key issue. ARG! Was just going to cut out the rockers and put new repair panels in but the time and effort in conjunction with all these costs...........

Worst part is that of course it runs perfectly. Engine uses no oil, trans is fantastic. Would make a great beater for a mechanic who has wreckers access and some spare time. I travel more than I am home as of late so taking care of this in a timely manner is also an issue.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Don't let it blow your mind call a locksmith they can easily make you keys for that vehicle..

It is the requirement of getting the ECM reprogrammed that is the issue, not the locksmith. That cost is relatively small in the scheme of this.

I had a bad ECM on my Explorer, so I replaced it with a junkyard ECM. Then I had to tow it to the Ford dealer to have it programmed to accept my key. Dealer charged $190 for this. I also had to pay $35 for another key (you need at least 2 keys for this, and I had only one.) Total out the door cost including taxes and shop fees was $246. (not including tow; I towed it myself)

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I had a bad ECM on my Explorer, so I replaced it with a junkyard ECM. Then I had to tow it to the Ford dealer to have it programmed to accept my key. Dealer charged $190 for this. I also had to pay $35 for another key (you need at least 2 keys for this, and I had only one.) Total out the door cost including taxes and shop fees was $246. (not including tow; I towed it myself)

So that will end up being like $500.00 CDN, based on my dealer experience here
smirk.gif
Plus whatever the locksmith charges, so I'm looking at $1K likely.

10 year old pickups are just getting broke in down here. Ford does some stupid stuff. I wonder what their reasoning is. It's not like the info they keep takes up any room. Probably a scheme to make stealerships money.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I can pull the battery and tires, but the other stuff is a little hard to swallow. I'm probably looking at more than what the vehicle is worth to do the above repairs in conjunction with the key issue. ARG! Was just going to cut out the rockers and put new repair panels in but the time and effort in conjunction with all these costs...........

Sometimes you simply have to bite the bullet and get rid of something that is a headache and turning into a money pit. It is a rusty 14 year old Ford with nearly 200,000 miles (or the metric equivalent) on it. If it's not worth it to you to deal with the key issue and the associated expense, then it's time to sell it. As far as the rockers go, I personally don't think it's worth doing on a vehicle that old-there's no real value being added and you'll never get a return on your repair investment.

Worst part is that of course it runs perfectly. Engine uses no oil, trans is fantastic. Would make a great beater for a mechanic who has wreckers access and some spare time. I travel more than I am home as of late so taking care of this in a timely manner is also an issue.

Sounds like now is the perfect time to get rid of it. Just before winter makes 4 wheel drives worth a bit more, and while it runs reasonably well is the time to get rid of it.

I think the locksmith can do that as well.

While I didn't lose BOTH keys, I wanted two for the 99 MGM I acquired two years ago. I think it was $70 for the locksmith to make me a PATS key and add it to the car with the programmer.

If you have two keys, IIRC, you can add a 3rd. But if you have less than two, the locksmith has to have a special box to add them to the computer.

But I think they can do it if you've lost all your keys. But it will cost more as they have to figure out what matches the lock cylinders.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Don't let it blow your mind call a locksmith they can easily make you keys for that vehicle..

It is the requirement of getting the ECM reprogrammed that is the issue, not the locksmith. That cost is relatively small in the scheme of this.

I've never been able to easily get a 3rd key cut. I have 3 keys for the Focus, which is nice, but I ended up having to ask a friend who works at a Ford dealer to do it for me. NO ONE would cut a key for the thing.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I hate the electronics the idiot car buyers think is cool.

+1, but this could be for any difficult key pattern design...

It's crazy. I can get OE cut keys and tumblers for my 30+ year old MB cars. Honda just cut a laser cut emergency key for our odyssey in the dealer the other day.

Storing the key profile and build sheet for a vehicle has to be practically free these days...

Yup it really sucks on the dealer end too. Can't help customers that lost their keys on older cars. There is a locksmith in town that has access to the older codes, we could too but one of us in the department would have to become a licensed locksmith and put up a $10,000 bond to have the privilege. The locksmith charges us $75 to get the cut code to older Fords and we pass that onto the customer who usually makes a huge scene.

I have taught myself how to build the cylinders, even laser cut ones, since Ford key cylinders for the 8 cut keys come in pieces. I can also figure out a keycode by measuring the cuts on a key and then referencing the decoder book.

The problem with cutting keys by code on older cars is the freshly cut keys usually don't work. The wafers in the cylinders have worn down to match the customer's key so we usually have to build a new ignition cylinder since that is the most used one anyway.

Have you called a locksmith to check their price? It may not cost as much as you think. I use a mobile guy for keys I can't make myself, and his retail price for a 2002 Expedition PATS key is $150. That price is for him to come out to the vehicle and make a ready to use key. No towing, no programming at the dealer. I think the price is the same whether you have a key or not; he has tools that can decode the cylinder without disassembling it.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

The problem with cutting keys by code on older cars is the freshly cut keys usually don't work. The wafers in the cylinders have worn down to match the customer's key so we usually have to build a new ignition cylinder since that is the most used one anyway.

Yeah, we made it a policy at work that there is absolutely, positively NO guarantee on code cut keys for vehicles older than 10 years, and even then we have issues (namely 2012 and older Colorado/Canyon and H3s).

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Have you called a locksmith to check their price? It may not cost as much as you think. I use a mobile guy for keys I can't make myself, and his retail price for a 2002 Expedition PATS key is $150. That price is for him to come out to the vehicle and make a ready to use key. No towing, no programming at the dealer. I think the price is the same whether you have a key or not; he has tools that can decode the cylinder without disassembling it.

No, I have not. We only got the quote from Ford at this point. I had done some searching online and found some prices, but they were much higher than what you've just noted.

Actually you can reprogram the ECM yourself. Just download a copy of Forscan. It's free. It allows you to delete keys and add them to the system. The only bad part is making new keys and you kinda have to know what you're doing to use the software. When you had 2 keys, you could easily program a 3rd key. Even if you had one, you could have made a second key that would just unlock the doors but wouldn't start the car. A lot of key places are afraid of ruining the key if they cut it a little off, but I managed to get keys on eBay for around $10 and one local place didn't care if they ruined it or not and just cut the key for me for $2 and it ended up working.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Actually you can reprogram the ECM yourself. Just download a copy of Forscan. It's free. It allows you to delete keys and add them to the system. The only bad part is making new keys and you kinda have to know what you're doing to use the software. When you had 2 keys, you could easily program a 3rd key. Even if you had one, you could have made a second key that would just unlock the doors but wouldn't start the car. A lot of key places are afraid of ruining the key if they cut it a little off, but I managed to get keys on eBay for around $10 and one local place didn't care if they ruined it or not and just cut the key for me for $2 and it ended up working.

What hardware is required? A specific programmer I assume?

The lack of a 2nd key was pure laziness on our part. We coulda shoulda woulda..... but we didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back