2014 Hyundai Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just traded my Dodge Dakota for a 2014 Hyundai Elantra.I never owned a off shore vehicle before.Is there anything i should know about or any concerns on these vehicles?

Stick with OEM oil filters. I had a 2010 Forte and learned during my ownership that some aftermarket filters can cause excessive valve train noise in their engines, due to oil starvation. I always used OEM, but learned about this on the Forte Forums. I believe this bulletin came out in '10 or '11.

I imagine a 2014 Hyundai Elantra is going to be significantly more reliable than any Dodge Dakota made. The Korean companies have been making good cars for quite some time now.

Did you buy it from a Hyundai dealer with the 10 year 100,000 mile factory warranty?

They are good vehicles i would use a Hyundai oil filter because like most things Hyundai makes are built well.
Hyundai builds lots of good things and they are the 4th largest auto maker with the by far best warranty. They have been around since the 60's but in the us since 86 i think.

I would have to say sure on the OEM oil filters and well my 2008 Dodge Dakota has seen some days.But i can say the elantra is a fun car to drive with a lot of pep to it and nice and tight in the handleing

I bought one for my mother in 2000- then they looked like sharks and were questionable cars.
But that is what she wanted. My whole extended family bashed me over it and most were GM workers.
The car lasted 320K miles until she sold it with minimal maintenance and became a favorite of
that extended family. And today the brand is far better made than they were in 2000.
Congrats!

Congrats!
many happy miles(KMs for you northerners)

you already have been advised about the OEM filters: if your internet bulk search will not net you a good price, i would try the local hyundai/kia dealer (same parts).
they may rust, so in your location i would take care of that/wash often.
check/lube your brakes yearly (have you seen a brake pad to the metal in 3200 miles? hehehe, silly me)
with good tires (snow or not), they are good in weather (rain/snow up to bumper/belly)
i think the ATF is shared with kia specs and is synthetic (does it have a stick-tube anymore?)

don't follow trucks.... windshield may crack (hehehe)

Congrats!

Starting in 2014 the Elantra came with two engine choices - 1.8/145hp non-GDI and the 2.0/172hp GDI.

From what i've read on the Hyundai boards, neither version has experienced major issues other than internet anecdotal cases. Regardless, some will advise that the 1.8L is more reliable in the long-term.

Either way, great car and enjoy!

The coupler in the MDPS will kick the bucket at some point and the dealer will try to tear you a new one for a $2 dollar part that you can change by yourself in 1.5 hours.

Check the rear shock absorbers. they don't last long on that car model for some reason.

P.S.- Genuine Hyundai Mobis oil filters are actually made by Mann+Hummel

Last edited:
Should be a good car. We had a 2004 Elantra prior to our 2016 and before that we had a 2001 Accent. All were great vehicles. The Nu engine uses a timing chain instead of a belt which is a nice improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back