2016 Dodge Durango V6 and 2016 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Reminds me of the 4L60e and 4L80e era ... Light duty was 350 HP then ? The light duty in this case can't be wimpy - it is all just relative comparison ...

I like the idea of go HD or go home, especially in a truck or SUV.

The Durango is a great choice, are you looking at a Limited? We are currently looking at potentially replacing the Expedition with a Durango and have our eyes on a black-on-black Limited. We've spent a fair bit of seat time in it and are extremely satisfied with how it drives, the transmission behaviour and the quality and layout of the interior.

I can only speak to the Honda as that is what I have. I went with the 6 speed AT, because I had read a lot of negative reports on the nine speed, but this would knock you out of the Touring or Elite models. It has VCM but I can't tell when it is working or not, since it is a very smooth engine. Mine will be a year old in December and no problems at all. Have been very happy with it so far.

Which potentially is projected to be the most reliable over lets say a 10 year period

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
We are currently looking at potentially replacing the Expedition with a Durango and have our eyes on a black-on-black Limited. We've spent a fair bit of seat time in it and are extremely satisfied with how it drives, the transmission behaviour and the quality and layout of the interior.

does wife still have problems with parking near bushes? :p
so, what do you have in mind for winter shoes?
re: 10 years reliability:: if you got the explorer to 300k KMs in 14 years, you can get the 'rango to 10 years too..

OP, this may not apply to you: Owerkill is not mechanically challenged, and he is close to the canadian factory, so good mechanics....

Originally Posted By: CT8
Which potentially is projected to be the most reliable over lets say a 10 year period

i would want to hear from Trav (our injectors goru), he didn't have a good relations with the 10 years old Honda VCM....

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Don't Honda engine mounts, with VCM equipped engines, run something like $800 in parts alone? Something to also consider since they are known to go well before 100k mark.

They're big money, and from what Trav told me the aftermarket parts suck. Maybe that's changed now but I doubt it.

Honda VCM is a garbage technology, IMO, and I'd stay away from it. Also not wise to buy a new model year of any vehicle.

This is a crowded segment so you should definitely explore all the offerings.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Base-line Tahoe for a few bucks more.

How much less MPGs though?

And what about cargo room? We looked at tahoes, but with the third row up there was substantially less cargo space than a minivan (or our friend's three-row infiniti suv).

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Honda VCM is a garbage technology, IMO, and I'd stay away from it. Also not wise to buy a new model year of any vehicle.

This is a crowded segment so you should definitely explore all the offerings.

Its REALLY easy to defeat, but it actually is worth about 3 MPG, which will pay for itself over a 100k lifetime of the lousy engine mounts...

But I know nothing of the pilot, other than that it is much better looking than the last model... and agree to shop the field. Why not throw the highlander, pacifica and chevy traverse in the mix?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
If reliability and durability are important, get the Honda. If you're willing to put up with Chrysler-level reliability then get the Dodge.

The Honda Pilot transmission went out at 21,000 miles with one of the car magazines long term tester. Yes-the six speed is reliable but not the newer 9 speed.

Last edited:
We have '12 Pilot, 33k miles, been great, 'cept for [censored] factory wheel alignment.

We also have '15 Jeep GC with 6cyl and 8 speed. The thing is a tank and the trans is wonderful. No dealer visits except for scheduled maint, 13,000 miles on it now.

Did I just read a thread on BITOG recommending a Dodge over a Honda??

I have the '15 Grand Cherokee too, nice vehicle and the 3.6/8 speed combo is great. Out of all the vehicles I have owned, I think it is my favorite.

I'd pick what you prefer after a test drive. I have rented a recent Durango and it was good. Compared to the prior generation Durango's(garbage) a different strata. I drive an 2007 Acura MDX.

The Durango is likely to sink terribly in resale vs the Honda Pilot.

In the end I chose the Pilot due to dealer/service reputation, potential resale value and willingness to deal. Hope it gives me 10 years of reliable service. Now I have to wait for them to find my color combination.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I have the '15 Grand Cherokee too, nice vehicle and the 3.6/8 speed combo is great. Out of all the vehicles I have owned, I think it is my favorite.

Don't you know that the 3.6L Pentastar is like having a hair dryer under the hood though?

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Don't you know that the 3.6L Pentastar is like having a hair dryer under the hood though?

crackmeup2.gif

?
I must be getting old, I never heard that one.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: iontrap
In the end I chose the Pilot due to dealer/service reputation, potential resale value and willingness to deal. Hope it gives me 10 years of reliable service. Now I have to wait for them to find my color combination.
Should'a gotten the Durable Mango m8, just sayin'

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

crackmeup2.gif

?
I must be getting old, I never heard that one.
21.gif

Neither has anyone else...except for the voices in Nick's head. I think Nicky might be hitting the bottle.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back