T55 Caliper bolt options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attempting to replace rotors and pads at all 4 corners of my 06 Escalade. Rear went without a hitch. Front was a fail. The T55 caliper bolts are beyond tight. Trying to apply full force while keeping the torx seated is impossible. Its going to strip so I stopped. Guess I'm forced to pay someone to get them off.

Want to know if its possible to replace the T55 caliper bolt with a normal caliper bolt? Anything that is not a torx.

Yes, many aftermarket caliper guide pins are normal hex head instead of torx. Try rockauto.com, they have several options in stock, from $3.63 each
thumbsup2.gif

I replaced the torx pins with hex head pins when I replaced my front calipers many years ago.

Have you tried an impact wrench with T55 socket to get them off? If not it may be worth a shot. That way you can really lean into it to keep it seated.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
^^^^^The above works.^^^^^^
Make sure you have all the dirt/crud out of torx head.

Penetrating oil wouldn't hurt either.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Have you tried an impact wrench with T55 socket to get them off? If not it may be worth a shot. That way you can really lean into it to keep it seated.

I have not. Only have a drill drong enough to sprain my wrist. But I have a brand new kobalt air compressor and Christmas is coming. The rear was the worst so I have time to try again

some bolts have threadlocker on them.. maybe try a propane torch lightly/carefully?

Impact w/torx will work too just be careful.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
^^^^^The above works.^^^^^^
Make sure you have all the dirt/crud out of torx head.

Thanks. maybe thats why I had so much trouble keeping the torx bit straight. I was also thinking about a c-clamp to hold while I torqued it out manually

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Yes, many aftermarket caliper guide pins are normal hex head instead of torx. Try rockauto.com, they have several options in stock, from $3.63 each
thumbsup2.gif

I replaced the torx pins with hex head pins when I replaced my front calipers many years ago.

I found them. How did you know which length was the correct one for your truck? RA/Amazon lists varying sizes from 4" to 7". Was hoping I didnt have to take caliper apart just to measure.

lube well with penetrating oil, clean the torx really well and press inward to ensure good seating, and use an impact. Lots of steps, but pretty straightforward.

Ill bet there is Loctite or something on there too. Consider using some heat and/or heat with a water or wax quench to help if needed. Can you access the threads from the backside?

I had the same problem on my avalanche. It took a lot of heat to get them to let go. I used a propane torch and kroil.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
lube well with penetrating oil, clean the torx really well and press inward to ensure good seating, and use an impact. Lots of steps, but pretty straightforward.

Ill bet there is Loctite or something on there too. Consider using some heat and/or heat with a water or wax quench to help if needed. Can you access the threads from the backside?

There's no rust. The truck was serviced at the dealer for its entire life. Front and rear pads replaced a few years ago. After replacing the rear rotor and pads and finding no lube, none! on the caliper bolts I'm determined to do the work myself. Can't trust anybody.

I think I can get a better angle cutting the wheel more. As far as heat I'll ride the brakes on the way home and quickly get to work..
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back