SOPUS is listening to crazyoildude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some more non sight gauge bottles. Made in August 16-22 2016.

KfdoKn0.jpg

dUpYUey.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Farmer
SOPUS is listening to crazyoildude

LOL. So is it safe to say that the Quaker State and Pennzoil filters will never have louvers?

too late the quakerstate filters already have louvers

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why have the volume markings without the sight window ? Alotta sense that makes. . .

They used the same mold (which creates the markings) whether there's a window or not.
New tooling without the markings cost $$, so they can phase in new molds as the old ones wear out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Never seen a Castrol bottle with a sight window, interesting. But I don't buy Edge either, usually Magnatec or the HM stuff although I did use plain old GTX for years prior to that. Like someone mentioned I have to use a flashlight to figure out where the oil is on partial fills. Highly annoying.

The last 5 quart jug of Castrol GTX I bought this past Summer has a sight gauge.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Cheap sobs

My thoughts exactly.

Look at the recent UOA of Pennzoil Platinum that was posted. Calcium numbers are way down.

What's all the fuss about? Are people worried that not viewing the level in the store could lead to being short-changed? Or are people worried about measurement issues?

I'm sorry but in the first case, the FTC would be all over any company for violating the FPLA. And in the second case, we've done the hard work of draining the earl. What's so hard about intentionally under filling, and topping off while checking the dipstick?

To me it's a non-issue.

It's about customer convenience. That's why most of us are upset. I'm sure a lot of guys like me like to dump in exactly how much oil we need instead of eyeballing it or checking 3-5 times and adding over and over again. For example the Toyota 2GR-FE is a terrible engine to get an oil reading on especially after running. So most of us dump in the specified amount which is 6.4 quarts. It takes way too long to get a good reading on that engine.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
It's about customer convenience. That's why most of us are upset. I'm sure a lot of guys like me like to dump in exactly how much oil we need instead of eyeballing it or checking 3-5 times and adding over and over again. For example the Toyota 2GR-FE is a terrible engine to get an oil reading on especially after running. So most of us dump in the specified amount which is 6.4 quarts. It takes way too long to get a good reading on that engine.

I agree. After the first 2-3 oil changes, you will figure out exactly how much oil you need to get to full, so you should not have to check the dipstick (but you still will). If I know I need 4.5 qts to get to full, then I should be able to grab a 5 qt jug and pour out 4.5 qts, but without a sight window, you can do that accurately. Heck, I know my car takes 4 qts. I can pour out what I think is 4, check on the sight window easily and add more if I need too. Without a sight window, not as easy a thing to do.

Originally Posted By: egomolka
What's so hard about intentionally under filling, and topping off while checking the dipstick?

To me it's a non-issue.

There is nothing hard about under filling, but it does take time to do, and some cars are just a pain to get the oil level right. I don't like freaking around with pouring a little here, and a little there to get the oil level right. I want to pour it in, and be done with it, and I know it's right the first time with a sight. When I have three cars sitting in the driveway ready for oil changes, I don't have time to freak around with pulling dipsticks over and over.

Originally Posted By: egomolka
What's all the fuss about?

Agreed. My G37 takes 4.9 litres. Whenever I buy a 5 quart or 5 litre Pennzoil product, I just dump it in, and it's always close enough that I couldn't get it any "better" if I tried myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back