Magnets on an oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

When you say you can't get (or bet I can't) a bandolier magnet for your car, Im not sure what you mean because they are sold by filter diameter vs a specified auto, but for sure there are application they don't work.

What car do you have ducked?

UD

I meant I bet I couldn't get a 2-stage filter/integrated bypass filter/whatever you want to call it. (Though for various reasons, notably that I might be leaving the country, I might not shell-out the extra for one even if I could get one.)

More specifically I'd bet I couldn't get a Cummins Stratapore Venturi for it.

These seem likely to be exclusively targeted at the commercial trucking sector, because that's the focus of the testing, and because I wouldn't expect the marketing of a consumer product to involve this kind of hard information. The punters might get frightened.

My car is a 1986 Daihatsu Skywing. 933cc 3-cyl engine, very small filter, and probably about as far as you can get from Cummins Stratapore Venturi's target market.

Last edited:
I can only get a strata pour for my motorhome. If I could fit one on my titan I would in a heartbeat.

You could see if there is a microgreen for your unit - thats a step above a single stage filter.

UD

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
A magnetic drain pug is more efficient at trapping ferrous particles than a magnet on a filter.

Can you explain why it would be better ?

For the sake of my oil pumps lifespan I would very much like your statement to be true...

Magnetic attraction is a direct function of the particles proximity to the flux, how is a drain plug morel likely to trap a particle with a smaller surface area and located in an area with a random chance of proximity vs a larger surface area magnet in a structured flow area that has a much better guarantee of a close proximity pass?

In engines that use both I find a small amount of fuzz on both magnets.

If the drain plug were better than the filtermag at catching it I would think there wouldn't be anything on the Filtermag.

UD

Last edited:
A magnetic drain pug is more efficient at trapping ferrous particles than a magnet on a filter.

Can you explain why it would be better ?........ If the drain plug were better than the filtermag at catching it I would think there wouldn't be anything on the Filtermag.

UD

As far as I can tell, that'd require the drain plug to take ALL the fuzz out of the sump oil before the engine was started, preventing anything getting to the filter mag.

It'd take a real drain plug nut to claim that.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Can you explain why it would be better ?........ If the drain plug were better than the filtermag at catching it I would think there wouldn't be anything on the Filtermag.

UD

As far as I can tell, that'd require the drain plug to take ALL the fuzz out of the sump oil before the engine was started, preventing anything getting to the filter mag.

It'd take a real drain plug nut to claim that.

I suppose IF there was a lot of wash-off at the filter mag, a dynamic equilibrium might eventually put most of the metal on the sump-plug if there was less wash-off, comparable capacity or more efficient (however defined) collection there.

This doesn't happen, which might imply that either there isn't a lot more wash-off at the filter mag, or that the sump plug is of relatively low capacity or isn't massively more efficient.

I'd go for all three, with emphasis on the last two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back