Gumout Q&A with Rusty Waples-Gumout Brand Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
At Gumout, we believe in maximizing your engine’s performance through superior, scientifically tested products and making sure every part of your engine and fuel system is working together at peak efficiency.

To accomplish this, we’ve created a full line of unique products to cater to a wide variety of vehicle types and driving styles.

We also realize that when you’re faced with a store shelf full of Gumout products, identifying the best fuel additive for your specific needs can, at times, be difficult. Today, we’re here to help you make the right choice.
In our previous sessions, our team of scientists, engineers and motorsports experts provided answers to your questions on everything from phase separation to cleaning the top-end of your GDI fuel system. This time, we’d like to offer you all an opportunity to hear directly from a Gumout brand representative who shares your passion for engine performance and has a deep understanding of fuel additives.

Meet Rusty Waples. Rusty is the brand marketing manager for Gumout and is an all-around expert on Gumout’s fuel additives and their capabilities. Rusty is an avid car enthusiast and has a wealth of knowledge on car care and maintenance.

Right now, we’d like to open the topic up for discussion, share some of Gumout’s insider knowledge and help you choose the best fuel additive for your vehicle.

This thread will be open for question submissions until October 31 at 11:59 p.m., at which time we will send them to our Gumout representative, Rusty Waples, to provide as many answers and recommendations as he can over the course of the next week. The more detailed information you can provide about your vehicle and your driving habits, the better.

We are extremely excited to provide you with this opportunity to pick the brain of a Gumout fuel additive expert, but we do have a few requests:

1. Please use this forum ONLY to submit questions. If you have previously posted questions on other areas of the site we will do our best to find them and provide answers, but your best bet is to repost the question in this thread.

2. Please understand that there will be some questions that we will not be able to answer. Some of our formulation information is proprietary, such as how much of a certain additive we put in our products, and can only provide feedback on our areas of expertise.

3. Please understand that we will not speculate on the products of our competitors, but we may be able provide you with ways to determine what they may have in their formulations. Not all fuel additives are created equal, so question claims and benefits and demand more information on what is in the product, what tests were used to determine efficacy and what were those results.

We look forward to your questions and thanks for your involvement!

Hi Rusty, thanks for the opportunity to ask questions.
Can you provide any explanation for how your high mileage Regane products differ from the standard ones?
Is there any reason to NOT use a HM fuel cleaner in a low mileage vehicle?

Hi Rusty
Recently posted on promo board, O'Reilly AP is closing out Gumout Regane CFSC and Regane HM 6oz concentrated bottles and it appears replacing them with 12oz formula bottles. O'R Gumout All in One also going to 12oz bottles too. Is this going to be the new standard bottle for other retailers going forward? Will the new bottles still treat the same amount gas as they did previously? And will they have the same amount of PEA as the concentrated bottles?

Hey there Rusty.
I have noticed Autozone has a new line of Gumout Expert series products. It seems these products come in a bottle that has more treatment in it. They have 10 oz as opposed to 6 oz. Is there any other reason I should be looking at the Expert series of Gumout Regane instead of Gumout Regane at walmart? Are there any notable differences?

Hi Rusty:
I was wondering if Gumout (and other PEA additives) are equally effective regardless of the type of driving done?

I have always assumed that a lot of short trips with many shut offs and starts would allow the additive to sit in the fuel injectors and on the valves longer....thus being more effective than a tankful of treated fuel used on one long highway run?

Also, with the newer DI engines...is it a waste to use anything more than 'Fuel Injector Cleaner' since the additised fuel never touches the valves?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Hi Rusty:
I was wondering if Gumout (and other PEA additives) are equally effective regardless of the type of driving done?

I have always assumed that a lot of short trips with many shut offs and starts would allow the additive to sit in the fuel injectors and on the valves longer....thus being more effective than a tankful of treated fuel used on one long highway run?

Also, with the newer DI engines...is it a waste to use anything more than 'Fuel Injector Cleaner' since the additised fuel never touches the valves?

Thanks.

This has always been my philosophy as well.

How effectives are the newer PEA additives run through the fuel of a carbureted engine? I realize there are fewer and fewer of these on the road but do they assist in keeping jets clean or is a manual cleaning still the best practice?

Any advantage to running a maintenance dose at each fill up? If so what would the treat rate be per 10 gallons of fuel? Thanks.

If not considering fuel stabilization as a factor, which product would be most beneficial for small 4 stroke engines and OPE)

I saw a video on the Engineering Explained YouTube channel talking about fuel additives. He dug up some research papers from SAE that used an engine with brand new cylinder heads and intake valves and had more deposits on the heads and valves using a fuel additive designed to remove deposits versus gasoline with no additives at all. He also mentioned in the video that PEA is the best at removing deposits that do form versus other additives.

So would Gumout be more beneficial to the average user if he/she used it on a car that was not brand new?

I treat my 2015 Civic with a cupful of Gumout with Regane All in One each week. I also add a bottle about 500 miles before a oil change. Is there anything I am missing. Throttle body is sprayed every 30k with Gumout DI cleaner.

Given that it typically takes several miles of driving before an engine is fully up to temperature, are all Gumout products effective at cleaning during this initial engine "warmup" period or does Gumout products only clean in high temp (engine is at operating temperature) environments?

After adding a bottle of Gumout All-in-One or Multi-System Tuneup and running the vehicle until almost empty, would it be beneficial to add a smaller dose at every fill up versus every 3000 miles per the instructions?

Please add measuring bars on bottles.

I'd like to split the 35 gallon AIO between 2 vehicles. It would also help with maintenance dosing.

Thank you to all those that participated! We will have the answers back ASAP.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back