post your latest transmission lubricant change.

You mean with photos? I changed the gear oil recently in my Citroen 2CV. Here is my oil filer apparatus I built that I've used on lots of vehicles. It consists of a plywood base, two 2X4s, a funnel and a long poly hose. I gave up on using hand pumps. Too difficult and awkward to use while underneath a car and the hose usually pops out of the filler port and I end up getting more on the floor than in the differential or transmission. Plus I can add exactly what the book calls for. I usually do something else while waiting for the oil to drain out of the funnel.

IMG_20160926_112313201_zpscpmljihv.jpg

IMG_20160926_112321774_zpsx2u8i1dw.jpg

IMG_20160926_112342636_zps8xxvogbo.jpg

2005 GM 4t65e-hd with tap shift, every 2 years fluid, 4 years filter and fluid. Used an Autozone Duraguard filter, and 7.5 qts of SuperTech Warren Dexron III. Replacing last change through the dipstick of 6.5+ qts of SuperTech Citgo Dex III and a 4 year old Autozone filter. Very nice performance with the ST at $11.45 a gal.

2014 Mazda 6 GT Automatic - 50,000 miles on fluid and car

3.4 quarts of genuine Mazda FZ Fluid ($50) and about 10 minutes of time.

8mm allen drain bolt on the bottom, 10mm bolted down dipstick on top, and a very simple drain/fill procedure.

So easy I will repeat this every 30K/2 years to keep the fluid fresh. The transmission shifts so much better now!

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L 45RFE, 263,xxx KM.

Out. Appears to be factory fill and filter.
In. ATP B-245 Filter Kit, 6 Quarts Havoline ATF +4, 1 Quart Motomaster ATF +4.

Transfer Case. 2 Quarts Havoline ATF +4
Rear Differential. Klondike 75W-90, 4 Ounces Ford Motorcraft XL-3.
Front Differential. Klondike 75W-90, 1 Ounce ATP-205.
Power Steering. Mityvac'd PS Fluid twice, refilled with Pennzoil Platinum ATF +4.

2003 Buick Rendezvous CX Plus 3.4L LA1, 4T65E

Mileage - 170,418

Out - Unknown

In WIX 58837, Transgo shift kit, 8 qts SuperTech Synthetic Low Vis Multi-Veh

2014 Nissan Frontier
30,232 miles
Poor Mans Flush with Maxlife Synthetic ATF
11oz of Lubeguard Red
Added a Magnefine In-Line Transmission Filter

Last edited:
MaxLife products seem to be the only low mileage high mileage products on BITOG ...
I'm going to keep using Valvoline (normal) synthetic ATF and wait a while ...

My 2002 Volvo V70. Drain & Fill @ 197,200
Done because I did the oil yesterday and Winter is coming.
OUT: 3.5 qts. A clean mixture of Mobil 3309, Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV, Wolf's Head SUSTF and LubeGard red bottle.

IN: 3.5 qts. Mobil 3309. No LubeGard this time round. I add the proscribed 1 oz. per quart fluid when I decide to add it.

...And don't it feel good! Kira

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2L 6sp mt 75500 miles
out 2L AC Delco 10-4014 5k miles
in 2L AC Delco 10-4014

To TurboFiat124 (24 days ago, above), The foot print of your "jug-holder on the wheeled wire rolly shelves rig" seems small.
Fill that jug and you better not bump it.

2007 Honda CRV

Out: Valvoline Maxlife ATF
In: Honda DW-1

Single drain and fill. I'm going to stick to Honda ATF going forward. Maxlife is hard to find and I can typically get good deals on honda atf.

I have some back changes to post.

On my old 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5S w/ X-Tronic CVT, I did two 3qt drain-and-refills using Valvoline Synthetic CVT Fluid (Blue Bottle) and two drain-and-refills with Amsoil CVT Fluid. The factory NS-3 (NS-III) fluid was burnt, cloudy, and had many particulates in it at 24k miles. The Amsoil fluid changes were made at 27k and 29k miles.

The transmission demonstrated the "death shudder" once at steady state cruise at approx 55 mph at about 23k miles. It literally shook the car so violently it felt like we traversed about 10 car-length-spaced cement parking barriers at that speed. The dealer said this was "normal" and their stupid scan-tool said the trnas fluid was also "just fine". The Valvoline fluid changes smoothed things out some but the tranny was still changing ratios slowly. The Amsoil fluid ran and functioned better than the stock fluid did at 13k miles (when I bought the car). Vehicle was sold at 34k miles and the tranny had functioned perfectly since the Amsoil CVT D&R's.

Next, 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport acquired at 112k miles. Did a D&R with 4.5qts of Redline D4 ATF, and then 4.5qts of Mobil-1 Syn ATF (car calls for Dex-III). Both worked significantly smoother than what was in the car when I got it. Also replaced trans filter with a Fram Ultra 7317 (Additional OEM factory trans filter also acquired). The Trans filter is very different from a normal oil filter, but the Fram Ultra has such excellent flow characteristics, it is working just fine for the short interval in which I'm employing it. I want to fully filter the trans fluid for about 10k miles to remove some of the gunk in the system. 3k miles in and so far, so good.

I did the filter change separately from the last D&R with Mobil-1 and lost about 2 quarts of fluid in the process (best guess). I refilled with Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc and there was no change in function (still shifting fine).

Lastly, I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with the 5EAT 5-speed auto. I did a D&R using Amsoil Signature Series Multi-Vehicle ATF (meeting the Subaru ATF-HP standard). 4 quarts out and 4 quarts back-in. Tranny was shifting perfectly before (91k miles) and previous fluid was still bright red and clear. No change (still perfect shifting) and some added peace of mind for the colder mornings as Subaru ATF-HP (made by Idemitsu, I think) can be very finicky even on 50 degree mornings, resulting in delayed, harsh shifts. On the last 45 degree morning (cool for Florida), the fluid with Amsoil added shifted noticeably faster and smoother.

2014 F250 6.7, at 90K.

Out: filter and motorcraft MERCON LV
In: filter and motorcraft MERCON LV

Last edited:
2012 Toyota Rav4 V6- drain and fill with 4.5 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife at 51,000 miles. Did a previous drain and fill at 26,000 with Toyota WS.

2013 Cruze - out = AC Delco Dex VI ... in = Castrol Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle ...

2006 Scion TC. 117,000 miles. D&R with Toyota T-IV. 4 quarts. Old fluid came out a purplish red. This was my 3rd drain and refill. Each time it looks the same. Trans shifts smoothly with the change.

2007 Infiniti G35x 93,810 Miles

D&F 4 quarts Nissan Matic-S.

Last D&Fs were at 64,684 and 46,465.

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon 181,620 Miles

D&F 4 quarts Valvoline MaxLife ATF

Last D&Fs were at 151,000 and 125,000

07 yaris 5speed manual
97 500 kms / 60 600 mil
Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W after Toyota factory fill
drained oil came dark but clear

gears change slightly better

Back