2016 Dodge Durango V6 and 2016 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda Crosstour was totaled by my insurance company last week (deer collision) and I'm in the market for a new daily driver/family vehicle. I've narrowed my choices down to the Durango and Pilot, both with V6 engines. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with either of these SUV's? Right now, I'm leaning towards the Dodge because I prefer its styling over the Honda but the Honda offers more headroom, legroom etc. with the only exception being slightly smaller cargo capacity behind the second row seats.
How good/bad has Dodge reliability been with the 3.6 V6 and 8 speed transmission? Any issues with the electronics?
With the Pilot being a first year model, have there been any issues surface yet?
I have offers on both with the OTD prices within a few hundred dollars.

I have a 2015 Caravan with the same motor. It's got plenty of power for what I need.

I can't comment on the 8 SPD transmission since mine is a 6 SPD. Does the pilot have VCM?

Most people would tell you to go with the pilot, I'm sure resale value will be better.

How long do you normally keep your vehicles for and what price you are paying should be a factor as well.

Last edited:
Son has 2013 with 3.6L and 8 speed. No problems. They put 160k on 2007 - no issues. Rented several Chargers/300's with that driveline - smooth power ...

Statistics will tell you to buy the Honda when choosing between the two. However, you may be leaving out some other fine 3 row SUVs from other manufactures when it comes to reliability and just nicer driving vehicles. From Hyundai(SantaFe) & KIA Sorrento. And don't forget the Toyota Highlander which may in fact be the most reliable(statistically)

We have owned both Chrysler(Mopar) vehicles and Honda vehicles, several of each in fact. And we have never had good reliability with Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth(RIP) or Jeep. Nor have many of our friends/family although, the Chrysler Mini Vans were better. On the other hand, Honda's were some of our most reliable vehicles with good resale value.

I/we much preferred driving the Chrysler vehicles as they do have a nice driving dynamic and found them to be the more comfortable vehicle. The Dodge Durango is a top scorer in its category and a preferred vehicle by many in the auto PRESS.

The Honda ZF 9 speed automatic tranny hasn't showed too reliable so, my choice would be to stay with the V6/6 spd tranny. I don't know if Dodge is using the same 9 spd auto tranny(both companies use "THE" ZF 9 spd) which is trouble prone.

Both Companies infotainment system can be trouble prone as well however, Chrysler's is much more user friendly than Honda's infotainment system.

Typically/statisticaly, Honda's electronic & electrical is way, way better and Chrysler's are often very trouble prone with a lot of electrical gremlins.

It is certainly a tough market these day with so many good vehicle in all segments to choose from and the midsize/3 row SUV category is no different.

Good luck,

CB

Consider they're recalling over 505K ZF 9 speed transmissions and the Honda will be impacted. The Durango is not using that transmission, IIRC is is using the 8 speed ZF which is supposed to be a much better unit. I'm not a fan of Honda so for me the choice would be pretty easy.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I have a 2015 Caravan with the same motor. It's got plenty of power for what I need.

I can't comment on the 8 SPD transmission since mine is a 6 SPD. Does the pilot have VCM?

Most people would tell you to go with the pilot, I'm sure resale value will be better.

How long do you normally keep your vehicles for and what price you are paying should be a factor as well.

The Pilot does have VCM. Are there still issues with VCM on the current V6?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Durango DOES use the 8 speed...my stepfather has one in his 300...it is impressive.

It is way better than the 9 speed ZF. For me the 9 speed AT is the real deal killer.

Starting to look like mountain bikes for gears.
Seems they need to stop somewhere (6 speed/8 speed?) and focus on reliability...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Seems they need to stop somewhere (6 speed/8 speed?) and focus on reliability...

Amen. More isn't always better. Give me a good 5 or 6 speed AT and I'm a happy camper. If I were going to buy a vehicle with the 8 speed ZF I'd want the HD version of it that they're using in the Hemi and diesel equipped vehicles. From what I've heard and the few I've driven they're pretty good. The light duty unit I don't know that much about it.

I'd stay away from the 9-speed if you're looking at the Pilot. Only the Touring and Elite come with the 9-speed...the other trims come with the 6-speed. It's a Honda-designed and -built transmission and it's demonstrated itself to be durable (it's been used for almost a decade, now). Buying one brand new, I wouldn't consider the Honda's VCM to be a factor -- change the oil every 5k with the recommended 0W-20 and you'll never have an issue. The Pilot is based on the new MDX, and my folks have a first-year model of that (2014). They have about 60k miles on theirs and I don't know of anything they've had to repair on it. They just recently replaced the factory set of tires and brakes. You'll be impressed with the Pilot's AWD system if you're looking at that drivetrain. It's essentially Honda's labeled version of Acura's SH-AWD, and it makes a 4,500 SUV hustle through corners like shouldn't be possible.

They test-drove the Durango when they were looking and, all I can say is, they drive differently. You'll probably like one better than the other just based on how they drive. Go drive them both and then decide. Either one (Durango or Pilot) is statistically a good bet in terms of successful long term ownership. You just need to decide which flavor you like the best.

The Durango listed in my sig in a 2014 V6 AWD with the ZF 8-spd. 60,000 miles and I love it. One of the major car mags (I can't remember which one) had the Durango ranked as the top SUV in it's segment for that year. When we shopped in 2014, I had narrowed it down between a Durango and the Traverse. Traverse felt too cookie cutter. Durango just looked better, had the topnotch 8.1 UConnect 1

The pentastar V6 has been great and I have had zeros issues with the engine. Tranny has been the same experience. Nice smooth shifts and the engine has no problems finding a correct gear. I live in a rural area and drive into the city everyday for work with an average of 23 mpg. Not bad for a big heavy AWD SUV.

Only problem I have experienced with this vehicle was a faulty TPM gave me some trouble the first 1,000 miles. Replaced under warranty and zero issues since. We plan on keeping this vehicle till it dies.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'd stay away from the 9-speed if you're looking at the Pilot. Only the Touring and Elite come with the 9-speed...the other trims come with the 6-speed. It's a Honda-designed and -built transmission and it's demonstrated itself to be durable (it's been used for almost a decade, now). Buying one brand new, I wouldn't consider the Honda's VCM to be a factor -- change the oil every 5k with the recommended 0W-20 and you'll never have an issue. The Pilot is based on the new MDX, and my folks have a first-year model of that (2014). They have about 60k miles on theirs and I don't know of anything they've had to repair on it. They just recently replaced the factory set of tires and brakes. You'll be impressed with the Pilot's AWD system if you're looking at that drivetrain. It's essentially Honda's labeled version of Acura's SH-AWD, and it makes a 4,500 SUV hustle through corners like shouldn't be possible.

They test-drove the Durango when they were looking and, all I can say is, they drive differently. You'll probably like one better than the other just based on how they drive. Go drive them both and then decide. Either one (Durango or Pilot) is statistically a good bet in terms of successful long term ownership. You just need to decide which flavor you like the best.

I haven't considered the 9 speed because of the issues and the recall even though I like some of the features on the Touring model. The Pilot has a familiar ride to it, car/car base crossover ride. The Durango does ride differently, not exactly like a truck but not like a fwd SUV. This vehicle segment has a lot of excellent choices.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Amen. More isn't always better. Give me a good 5 or 6 speed AT and I'm a happy camper. If I were going to buy a vehicle with the 8 speed ZF I'd want the HD version of it that they're using in the Hemi and diesel equipped vehicles. From what I've heard and the few I've driven they're pretty good. The light duty unit I don't know that much about it.

From what I've read, the V8 get the German built ZF 8 speed and the V6 gets the American built ZF 8 speed.

Originally Posted By: iontrap
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

From what I've read, the V8 get the German built ZF 8 speed and the V6 gets the American built ZF 8 speed.

The Ram hemi and diesel gets the HD unit. The hemi GC gets the HD unit. The Pentastar equipped Rams and GC's get the light duty unit. I would assume the Durango with the Pentaster would get the light duty unit as well. Not sure about 2017 models though.

Reminds me of the 4L60e and 4L80e era ... Light duty was 350 HP then ? The light duty in this case can't be wimpy - it is all just relative comparison ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back