Recommend me a project car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you seriously love fixing car, nothing will beat an Audi! I am having fun watching timing belt change on S4 which is piece of cake when compared to doing the timing chain on Audi V8! I don't think neither BMW nor Mercedes repairs are as challenging as an Audi with an over-stuffed power plant under the hood. If you yearn for mechanical therapy or a challenge, this is your ticket. Doing Mustang/LS1 would present you nothing but boredom.

Your right about that, I would never work on my RS7 or S63...oil changes and that's it...these cars are to [censored] complicated with sensors all over the place...I changed the brakes on my S63 and broke two sensors I had no idea were near the calipers

4.6 Modular Maverick
VQ30 Sunbeam, MG, Opal
VQ35 Fiero
VQ30 Sentra
VQ30 mid engine CRX (because welder)
5.0 Miata

Your imagination is the only limiting factor. Just build an amalgamation of you favorite/cheapest engine and your favorite car.

I always thought a RWD VR6 Rabbit would be sweet.

But then the project would be over in relatively short time and all OP could do is to just drive the vehicle after adding fuel to it. Where is the challenge in that??

LS1 RX8? A blown up RX8 must be pretty cheap these days.
Another neat one I'd like to do one day is a Miata with a 2.4L ecotec. Or just a supercharged Miata for autocross.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Thank you for all the suggestions! I am interested in the rx7, Porsche 944, and possibly a mid 2000s mustang. The modern safety features are probably not feasible as you guys have pointed out. Now it's off to do some more research! I never thought a Porsche would be a project car possibility honestly.

In 1992, the Nissan 300ZX did get a driver's side airbag. Also, they had ABS brakes. Although it wouldn't be as safe as a car made today, it still would probably be safer than a Porsche 944 or Mazda RX7.

However, it appears that the Nissan 300ZX doesn't interest you.

My last boss used to buy broken Porsche 944s and 928s and repair them himself, and then eventually sell them on eBay. They were great cars in my opinion, I enjoyed driving them when he'd give me the keys at lunchtime. The hardest part though is finding one at a reasonable price, especially the 928s. He did once buy a broken 924 turbo but those are really hard to find now.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Thank you for all the suggestions! I am interested in the rx7, Porsche 944, and possibly a mid 2000s mustang. The modern safety features are probably not feasible as you guys have pointed out. Now it's off to do some more research! I never thought a Porsche would be a project car possibility honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back