synthetic 5-40 in an 02 7.3 diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched my truck from mobil delvac 1300 15-40 to mobil delvac esp1 5-40 now my truck seems to not start as quick as it did with the 15-40 only about a second longer but I noticed it. Is this normal for a 7.3 with synthetic oil?Took it to a local shop and they hooked it up and tested everything and said everything is fine.The truck only has 65,000 miles on it.They told me it was probably the thinner oil and to go back to 15-40 synthetic the next time I change the oil.Has anyone ever heard of this?I seen they have schaefers 7000 15-40 at the local napa should I go to that a little more $ than iam paying for the mobil.

Go back to the heavier oil next change. The Delvac is good oil. I just changed my 1 ton van last week. Topping 200k pulling more than it should.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Might be due to a weaker HPOP causing a slower start on the slightly thinner oil. That'd be the only reason I can think of...

Yeah, good point.

Might be that the rings are bad and were full of deposits that the higher detergents and synthetic base stock removed. Could also be that a change in temperature has effected the battery or the dino oil had more Moly reducing friction.

I switched my 95 Powerstroke to Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40 and experienced the same thing. It's a weak HPOP because I have an even harder time starting it hot. Part of my problem also was weak batteries and new ones greatly improved the starting but I can tell it's not like it was in the past.

Ford Powerstrokes with the HEUI injection system are reputed to shear 5w40's down to 30 weights. Try a 10w30 such as Rotella T5 in it if you want better cold start performance.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Might be that the rings are bad and were full of deposits that the higher detergents and synthetic base stock removed. Could also be that a change in temperature has effected the battery or the dino oil had more Moly reducing friction.

At 65k miles on a Powerstroke, regardless of the oil used before, I doubt that is the case.

My wife has a 2002 F250 with the Power Stroke and the batteries have never lasted over 3 years and closer to 2.5 year life would be more like it. Batteries are everything with that engine. One day she said the truck runs like garbage,upon hearing the engine run I though there was a problem and after a quick check I changed the batteries and the engine ran like brand new. [Something to check.]

If you're noticing that much difference starting you have to have a HPOP leak/ bad pump that 15w-40 had been masking. Everyone I have/had have been on 10w-30 for years now, including the 6.0(which also used the HPOP system, it operated under higher pressure).

10w-30 has provided the best UOA data by far vs any 5w-40 I had tried/ read reports on here, but each individual use/driving conditions are very different.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Ford Powerstrokes with the HEUI injection system are reputed to shear 5w40's down to 30 weights. Try a 10w30 such as Rotella T5 in it if you want better cold start performance.
not the 7.3.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

How could I get better cold start performance by switching to a 10 weight from a 5 weight? As an owner of one with over 300k miles on the original injectors stiction is a mother on cold starts and going from 15 to 5 weight made a world of difference.

Thanks for all of the replys,It starts fine cold and if I start it shut it off and start it right up again it fires right up its just when it is warm and I let it sit for more than five minutes it doesnt start as fast.Not sure taking it to a local diesel shop this week and see if they can figure out what is going on.No check engine lights or anything seems to run good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back