BAD time to buy a TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Imo a tv is a tv. Swing by Walmart,grab a cheap tv,and you're good to go!

Depends if you are watching sports or other fast motion not all are the same.

I have an old 42" panasonic plasma that is lightyears better than a newer 900$ samsung for sports.

but it uses 3-4x the power and is kinda dim in a bright room... tradeoffs.

The key is calibration.

I have 48 and 40 inch Insignia sets that blow away other sets because I took my time calibrating them.

So what does one do to calibrate them? I know one can adjust the brightness and that helps them last longer. I just got my son a 43" Vizio this year. We are thinking of one later this year.

With Black Friday being just next month, I'd wait.

You don't necessarily have to wait in line at 2am (or 2pm Thanksgiving Day) in the cold either. She ended up buying a TV roughly $50 cheaper on Amazon than Wal-Mart, we had no crowds to fight, no waiting in lines, free shipping, and it was tax free.

It came in about 2 weeks later.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Beware Black Friday TVs made just for Black Friday! They will have name brands but will be models made just to be dumbed down and usually hard to ever lookup or find parts for.

My brother in law got a $200 50" tv Black Friday that is such a junk pile in terms of picture/color and only had two HDMI inputs with especially terrible sound.

Stick to brand name model normally sold year round not those one offs.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Beware Black Friday TVs made just for Black Friday! They will have name brands but will be models made just to be dumbed down and usually hard to ever lookup or find parts for.

My brother in law got a $200 50" tv Black Friday that is such a junk pile in terms of picture/color and only had two HDMI inputs with especially terrible sound.

No offense, but this is like the person bashing Harbor Freight because their $2 tool box broke on the first use. He didn't see the TV running prior to purchase? He didn't even make an educated buy by seeing how many HDMI ports the thing had?

Black Friday generally is a scam. Wal-Mart puts out a lot of sub par no name consumer grade junk on skids hoping people just buy it out of impulse.

For electronics, I check NexTag. Search the item by part number and it'll give you the cheapest retailer.

as a few have said, in so many words,just go and buy one.life is too short to agonize over a such a tiny amount of money, on an item that should last several years.treat yourself, and enjoy your new t.v.

are you looking for a specific tv?

black Friday through superbowl will produce tv sales even for high end models to move product

Now it is not necessarily a bad time.

if you have a credit card with purchase price protection benefit you can buy it now, monitor the price for next 3 months through the blackfriday and Xmas sales and file a claim for the difference.

black friday is for suckers.and line up to do battle over junk they do.
the bf tvs i have seen are junk.and just beyond 90 days they show up at work with bad panels and other non repairable issues.
just dont...
even if its in the warranty period you have to ship it.its a useless warranty.
and even panasonic rebadges cheap n nasty vestel stuff in their 40" and down sets.
as for price matching and price protection thats worthless too.
each store chain has a different model number for the same set.
just stay home and relax from your day of overindulging.

I don't battle over junk anyways....

Just buy a TV when I want anyways.

Might take a little while since I picked up an older LCD Sharp 26 inch for free from a friend who just upgraded. Has a great picture on it...

Also still have my solid Samsung (nearly 8 years old now) that still gives us great picture quality.

Toppled with the fact the tablets and the desktop are also used for watching, I don't think I am in any hurry....

Originally Posted By: madRiver

If you want the sound HDTV is able to provide you need external speakers. Even an inexpensive set of Cambridge Audio powered computer speakers with a little shoebox sized sub will produce very good sound.

It's always a bad time to buy a TV. If you wait a year they will be bigger, better, and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back