They got me, Got "SN'd"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased some more Mobil 1 High Mileage oil today to stock up for my generator and other OPE. Noticed as I was putting the bottles away that it now rated "SN". I looked at my oil I purchased several months back and they were rated "SL".
I wonder what changed in the formulation?

Originally Posted By: wemay
API SN came into service in 2010 (seven years ago). Enough vehicles requiring SM or SN when new have now reached the ubiquitous 75K mile threshold considered HM by most oil brands. They're cashing in on this market.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

You would be surprised how many older people think all a vehicle will last is 100,000 miles.

The M1 HM oil that is rated SL was just purchased about 3 months ago. I only use it in OPE.

Last edited:
There are current SL 30 grade oils out there that are heavy in Zinc and Phosphorus and therefore can't meet the SN standard. That same SN standard doesn't apply to 40 grades so despite the heavy Zn/Po those can get the SN rating. It would seem quite normal to me for some stout HM oils to carry the SL rating. Castrol Edge 0w-30 was rated SL as of last December...and probably still is.

Now if the same grade HM oils that were rated SL just a few months ago are now SN....that suggests that they dropped the Zn and Po levels just enough to get the pass. Either that or the standards from API were recently changed.

Originally Posted By: jonnied1
Purchased some more Mobil 1 High Mileage oil today to stock up for my generator and other OPE. Noticed as I was putting the bottles away that it now rated "SN". I looked at my oil I purchased several months back and they were rated "SL".
I wonder what changed in the formulation?

I heard the same thing today in the PCMO area of BITOG. Mobil 1 HM in 5W30 and 10W30 was API SL and high zinc, but now it's API SN. It was 1100ppm Zn under SL, but it's now probably close the the standard ILSAC level of 900ppm Zn.

Defy is also now SN.

If you want thicker oil and higher ZDDP, it looks like HDEO is now the easiest way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back