2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 - Penz plat 0-20 - 6k

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0016.jpg
Currently just monitoring break in metals coming out of oil, truck has two filter mags installed, catch can and fram XG filter.
Looking at getting amsoil bypass system soon.

I have one question for you guys I'm about to deploy for about 9 months what's the general consensus on 9 month period of outdoor storage? Should I change the oil after getting back because of hot / cold cycles while I'm gone or just fire her up and take her on 2hr road trip to burn moisture out of oil?

Originally Posted By: Shata
I have one question for you guys I'm about to deploy for about 9 months what's the general consensus on 9 month period of outdoor storage? Should I change the oil after getting back because of hot / cold cycles while I'm gone or just fire her up and take her on 2hr road trip to burn moisture out of oil?

I'd change the oil before you leave, add stabilizer, and a UCL to the gas, and do any other prep you'd do before a deployment, and park it. Then fire it up and drive it when you come back. My son is gearing up for another deployment as well. Stay safe, and thanks for your service!

No problem! I appreciate it.
I'm hesitant to change it again because the truck will only have about 1500-2000miles on oil. I hate to waste all that oil so early in the interval. The recommendation with stabilizer I will definitely do specially with it sitting so long, plus having full tank of gas keeps moisture from happening.

With so few miles on the current oci I would leave it alone. Then change it at the one year mark at the earliest. Otherwise just a waste of perfectly fine oil.

Thank you for your service and focus on your safety and well being. The truck is there to serve you upon your return.

Thanks man, will do I'll be careful =]
I'm thinking the same I'll run my 6k interval regardless/1yr. Worst case I'll do my 2hr drive when I get back and run UOA on oil and see what's going on. Wasting 8qts at 1500miles is just non-sense. I have confidence the oil will be good even after all the temp cycles and sitting in sump so long.

Great! Blackstone has a pump where you can take a small sample and keep using the oil until the results come back. Then you can decide to keep going or change the oil. It's a nice quality pump per some reviews on here about it.
thumbsup2.gif

I have lots of experience with storing vehicles. Keep the oil in. It will be in perfect condition when you return.

For the fuel, add a 2X dose of Stabil then fill to the full mark. Topping off the gas will eliminate vapor head space above the liquid gas in the tank, which will prevent condensation from forming in cold weather.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Great! Blackstone has a pump where you can take a small sample and keep using the oil until the results come back. Then you can decide to keep going or change the oil. It's a nice quality pump per some reviews on here about it.
thumbsup2.gif

I forgot to mention I have drain valve installed also so no need for pump I can draw right off oil pan drain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I have lots of experience with storing vehicles. Keep the oil in. It will be in perfect condition when you return.

For the fuel, add a 2X dose of Stabil then fill to the full mark. Topping off the gas will eliminate vapor head space above the liquid gas in the tank, which will prevent condensation from forming in cold weather.

Will do thanks!

As always opinions vary. A fairly new truck, 6K miles on the oil, parking it for 9 months. I'm sticking with changing the oil before.

That UOA sample at 6k was drained it has about 900 miles on oil at moment and by time I leave it won't have more then 1500-2000 on oil. That's why I'm questioning if I should change it before leaving.

One of the moderators on here has a 2013 BMW 6 cylinder turbo that gets oil changes every 2.5 years or so. It doesn't get used much and I'm sure the UOA like we talked about earlier will come back with excellent results. It's not like we're talking about leaving the Factory Fill in there all this time. Easy peazy decision imo.

Will you disconnect battery whilst gone? Surely will lose all it's charge if not used for 9 months?

Nope I'm keeping it hooked up, newer Chevys have hidden menu to put them into transport mode so there is basically no battery drain.

Originally Posted By: Shata
That UOA sample at 6k was drained it has about 900 miles on oil at moment and by time I leave it won't have more then 1500-2000 on oil. That's why I'm questioning if I should change it before leaving.

I must have read it wrong then. Drive it to the gas station, add some Stabil, and a UCL, drive it for about 30 minutes or so to where you plan on parking it and leave it. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't change the oil before as that would be a waste. A long trip afterwards will be all you need to get out moisture. I'm on 3.5 years with my 240Z. I would still put a trickle charger on that battery while you are gone. 9 months is a while.

Be safe!

I wouldn't do anything special regarding the oil - just follow the OLM. My Suburban, albeit garaged, went 5 years on it's last change of M1 and could have gone longer. If you know for sure it won't move for 9 months, I'd disconnect the battery- that way you have zero drain. I do that routinely with my Suburban and Aurora with no issues. Take care overseas and get back safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back