Reviews of the "high mileage " oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
HM oil threads here are about as common as thick vs thin ones, so there are plenty of reviews on this site alone.
It really comes down to what you want and need.
Among the less costly blend oils, Defy has a great add pack but does nothing for leaks or consumption while Maxlife SB will reduce leaks and consumption but has a much less sexy add pack. Maxlife SB also yielded an outstanding UOA from my old BMW posted August 2012.
Castrol GTX HM does nothing in my experience.
M1 HM appears to be the real deal in reducing consumption and leaks, like Maxlife.
There's a brief review for you of the HM oils I've tried.
Others can contribute other reviews based upon their experience.

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
Disappointed that I don't see the Mobil1 High Mileage on the list. Plan on using it for the first time in the Oddy next Spring.
Sure that it's a fine oil coming from M1.

M1 HM oils are great and are race oils in disguise. I wish we got them here.

They produce stronger/thicker oil films and have more zinc (ZDDP) anti-wear agents.
Regular M1 5W30 has a HTHS of 3.1 and has 900 ppm Zinc
M1 5W30 HM has a HTHS of 3.3 and has 1100 ppm Zinc
M1 10W30 HM has a HTHS of 3.5 and has 1100 ppm Zinc

Full Synthetic, and according to PQIA the M1 5W30HM has a Noack of 10.1%, 80 ppm Moly, 100 ppm Boron, and KV100 = 11.85 cSt, and a nice mixture of both Ca ( 1116 ppm) and Mg ( 766 ppm) detergents. TBN = 9.14 nice and high.

It also specs ACEA A5/B5.
I would be all over this stuff.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 high mileage is SN now, and they have not updated the product data sheets that still shows SL.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
The Mobil 1 High Mileage is pretty thick

I know !!!
Great isn't it !!

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Mobil 1 high mileage is SN now, and they have not updated the product data sheets that still shows SL.

Oh No !!!!
frown.gif

Atleast Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is still SL with a full zinc package.
I'm talking about the Euro Spec Edge that is A3/B4, MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01. Castrol say it meets the quality requirements of API SN but due to higher Zinc / Phos levels it's classified SL. The stuff in Oz has a HTHS of 3.6 cP and a KV100 of 12.0 cSt. It's about 1000ppm Zinc from what I hear.

I like MB 229.5 oils, it means the TBN needs to be above 10, while the Noack needs to be below 10%. Good Stuff.

high mileage oil is a scam
Read the back of the container..
It says you still need to change your oil as per mfg recommendations
and the dealership will suggest the same as well . Not one mfg will tell you
to run your car 2x longer because of your oil choice

Originally Posted By: Excel

We are talking about oil for engines with high mileage, not extended drain oils.

FYI, neither high mileage or extended drain oils are a scam.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Excel

Hi Mate,
The oil is designed for older high mileage cars, but to be used for a regular oil change interval.

It use the be that HM oil were thicker, with extra zinc and extra seal conditioners. Now it seems that none have extra zinc, only half are thicker and all should have seal conditioner. Regular oils also have seal conditioners, but HM oils should have a bit more.

EP or Extended Performance oils have extra TBN to fight acid build up and allow a longer oil change interval. The Euro A3/B4 standard requires TBN to be 10 or more, so in effect all Euro A3/B4 oils are extended drain oils.

In Australia I've never seen an "EP"'oil, but A3/B4 is everywhere, so we don't really need it.

We also have only two HM oils that I can name, MaxLife 20W50 (no other MaxLife grades here) and Castrol GTX 15W50 HM. That's it. I don't think many people use HM oil here, mostly because we run such thick oils to start with.

Standard bulk fill here is typically a semi-synthetic 10W40 A3/B4, no need for EP or HM with that in your sump.

High mileage oil is not a scam in many cases it can help with minor leaks and oil burning.. I have used it for years in high mileage engines.
Most are blended on the thicker side but some of the newer HM oils are not..
Pennzoil High Mileage worked very well for a number of very high mileage engines i used it in although i used it in the summer only because it was blended on the thicker side.. My old shop car an 83 olds wagon with the 5.0 307 v8 went over 400,000 miles on PYB in the winter and PHM in the summer and ran when i got rid of it.
We are now using Mobil super high mileage and that is not blended on the thicker side it is actually blended a little on the lighter side although the Mobil 1 high mileage is on the thicker side..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back