The attack of the fridges!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is scary how vulnerable we have become. many folks may say they do not need computers in their daily life. Problem is, essentially EVERYTHING we depend on DOES depend on computers and the interwebz.

Why everything in my house is not going to be wi fi based....

While I like the idea of the Amazon Dot and stuff, I can still do everything myself, and would rather not be hacked....

I'm sure it continued to keep your beer cold, you just couldn't pull up recipes on the tablet built into the door.

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
We couldn't use Netflix today for awhile.

Oh, the tragedy of not using Netflix!

Unfortunately the ramifications of what happened are far deeper than just a few people who couldn't watch Netflix.

Ah, the chink in the armor.

That was a good article.

Just give me an appliance with a knob and a timer, maybe a few simple push buttons. That's all I need.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
We couldn't use Netflix today for awhile.

Oh, the tragedy of not using Netflix!

Unfortunately the ramifications of what happened are far deeper than just a few people who couldn't watch Netflix.

I work in cloud application development and the attack effected us. I honestly had no idea why so much stuff was failing trying to deploy a software build and gave up. The hint to me was when Spotify was down too as I could not listen to music.

The twitter account "pwn all the things" has decent links to more technical articles.

Unfortunately the ramifications of what happened are far deeper than just a few people who couldn't watch Netflix.[/quote]

I think we all realize that now. I met an IT guy yesterday that told me things like not being able to schedule flights. The weird thing was he told me in such great detail how the Ukrainian electrical grid went down; as they (hackers?) lurked around their system for 9mos. and after learning all they could, set it off. When the comptrollers (I think) tried to control the problem, their system was hacked too. Anyway I mentioned alittle bit of what I read about Iowa's grid, he said funny you mention that cause I am meeting some engineers (or something sorry)in Des Moines, IA Sat. and got up and left. I would liked to have picked his brain more, but it was an interesting experience.

Aren't all those appliances behind some kind of router firewall? They are all NAT'd. So how were they broken in from outside? Or were those appliances compromised at factory?

From what I know unless I explicitly open in the access for my device behind the router, I can not access the device from external internet.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Aren't all those appliances behind some kind of router firewall? They are all NAT'd. So how were they broken in from outside? Or were those appliances compromised at factory?

From what I know unless I explicitly open in the access for my device behind the router, I can not access the device from external internet.

One article I read is that most IoT devices are assigned an IPv6 address to connect to the net. These devices also don't have security protocols (ie a soft firewall) to prevent them from being hacked so they are open to the web. With the virtually infinite amounts of addresses that IPv6 has there is no need for NAT so any device with an IPv6 address assigned is directly connected to the net and most routers don't have firewall protection for IPv6 address.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back