Transmission issue on 96 Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a 96 Buick Century with a 3100 motor and 45 K miles. A couple of times recently after driving up to a light and coming to a complete stop the car ends up going in reverse all by itself when leaving from the light. The shifter is still in drive when this happens and the car must be shut off put in park, restarted and then drive at which time it goes forward. I have had the car inspected at the local shop but they cannot duplicate the issues as it is sporadic. Any ideas as this is a dangerous issue.

I've had the tcc solenoid stick and lug the engine to stall coming to a stop. But reverse? Never heard this one before!

Ask a tranny shop if they can scan for codes and go from there. Being a '96 there should be something.

Also look up Sonnax.com for your transmission model, they have redesigned parts, some may actually mention this problem! I think your GM tranny is a 4T60, but not sure.

GM does a "great" job at making deliberately crummy passenger car trannies, for trucks and pickups, they don't dare. Shows it's on purpose!

I had a brand new company car back in 1985, a Buick Century with lots of extras, tranny puked at just 20,000 miles, replacement tranny shifted like a bad dump truck! So sad, I would have kept it for myself after 2 years when the company sells them to employees if they want them.

Good luck bro!

Sticking solenoid? Have you read up to find what solenoids are set for what gear setting?

But restarting the engine would point to a computer issue...

Do you have to restart as part of the procedure? Does just shifting to park clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back