Best 9008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't put so much faith in Amazon reviews...
Many of them are written by a person who was given a free product (in exchange for a good review). My friend does it all day long. Sadly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Don't put so much faith in Amazon reviews...
Many of them are written by a person who was given a free product (in exchange for a good review). My friend does it all day long. Sadly.

IMHO, the good ones - as in the bigger name brand listings - don't employ this kind of tactic as much.

Also, Amazon has explicitly come out and said that they are now prohibiting this kind of thing. Those who are caught doing so will be summarily blocked from selling on Amazon.

A while back, I decided to try some of the Sylvania bulbs that they advertise as being brighter. I think they were called "Silverstar", or some such. Don't waste your money on them. They blew in a couple of months, whereas the OEM bulbs in my truck lasted about 6-7 years. I worked at Auto Zone for a while, also, and have heard many similar stories. Didn't believe them until I had it happen, myself.

I installed some regular Sylvania bulbs, and they've been going strong for a couple of years now.

+1 ... Silver star lasted maybe a year for me - but same with the bright Philips. Dropped down a level to extra vision so I don't wind up with one light and a ticket.

I've had nothing but problems with Sylvania's aftermarket bulbs, even the standard 'long life' ones. I'd buy something else. Philips, GE, whatever.

Yo, Donald, Remember to dab a bit of dielectric grease on any bulb's plugs (on the pins, obviously). This'll add life to any application by reducing resistance and heat.

Many overlook this basic step.

It's also SUPER IMPORTANT for all other bulbs in the body because you DO NOT want green, horrid sockets.

I've used GE Nighthawk lightbulbs for the past several years, not the fancy Xenon or sport ones, just the regular ones and have never had short life span issues. They are made in Hungry.

Put in a relay harness along with a regular-life bulb. 9008/H13 are notorious for burning out the sockets thanks to the inadequately sized contacts in the bulb.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Seems I need a new high beam for my F250. Most bulbs on Amazon have 4 stars. Looking for a 5 star direct replacement.

I've run the Philips Extreme Vision in my '96 Mustang for about 7-8 years now. Thats a 9007 size, but they definitely last, and the light output was a major step up over even new sylvania XV's. I'd comfortably rate them 5 stars here.

I also have them in my '11 F150 but in that application the improvement was much slighter. Price was alright and I'll replace them with the same, but I wouldn't call it a 5 star bargin.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Put in a relay harness along with a regular-life bulb.

Exactly. Voltage delivered to the bulb has a far greater impact on light output.

lamplife.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back