New Performax PO-9A cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
First cut and post, and what a pain! I definitely need to invest in a filter cutter. I thought I could breeze through it with tin snips, but not the case! I really had to fight to get this thing open but got it done eventually. This filter is primarily used on a variety of GM cars. It had been dropped and dented on the corner and was destined for the trash can so I saved it and took it home from work to dissect it.

I completely spaced off taking a picture of the date code, but if you zoom in on the can, you might be able to read it and post it. I don't know how to decode them. Not going to dig through the trash to find it either! Haha

Looks like some leftover RTV residue here, nothing to be concerned about, RTV doesn't come off easy at all once dried. Although the QC is a bit sloppy IMHO.

Good, open louvers. Unlike most people here, I'm not afraid of louvers as long as they are open right and I can see the filter media. In all truth, the bearing clearances in an engine are much smaller than any louver we see on a filter and oil still manages to squeeze itself into those passages so people really shouldn't be losing sleep over this. A filter will not run in bypass mode because of louvers like this!

I did notice something peculiar about the ADBV, was these formed molds from the baseplate holes, they weren't cut or anything but molded into the nitrile itself. Haven't seen anything like this posted here before. I have one more new Performax filter, and when I get around to cutting it open, I'll be curious to see if the ADBV is like this.

I ran my fingers over the inner baseplate holes, and didn't find any sharp edges or burs that would cut into the ADBV during the OCI.

Those marks in ADBV are cute so that's no good. Louvers in center tube that drive crazyoilthing bonnet says its 2015 production or newer.

Thanks Purolator for not fixing your JUNK yet!
37.gif
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Good, open louvers. Unlike most people here, I'm not afraid of louvers as long as they are open right and I can see the filter media. In all truth, the bearing clearances in an engine are much smaller than any louver we see on a filter and oil still manages to squeeze itself into those passages so people really shouldn't be losing sleep over this. A filter will not run in bypass mode because of louvers like this!

The engine supplies oil to more than just the journal bearings. If the louvers are too closed off, the filter won't be able to flow 12+ GPM in some high performance engines, and could cause the delta-p to increase to the point of making the filter go into bypass when it really shouldn't be. That's the drawback with closed off louvers. Those look OK though, so wouldn't be a problem on this particular filter.

Hi all,

I really wonder if any engine truly flows 12 GPM, oil pumps are gear pumps with emphasis on pressure with a limited flow to begin with. Since bearing clearances run around .001" times X number of bearings, getting bearings to ride on a film of oil needs pressure at a lower flow.

Considering the size of the oil pump, it's like asking to fill your 17 gallon gas tank in under 90 seconds....unlikely...

I think oil and filter companies like to scare customers!

I wonder if there is any honest data by engine model on true oil flow rates and pressures....

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
Hi all,

I really wonder if any engine truly flows 12 GPM, oil pumps are gear pumps with emphasis on pressure with a limited flow to begin with. Since bearing clearances run around .001" times X number of bearings, getting bearings to ride on a film of oil needs pressure at a lower flow.

Considering the size of the oil pump, it's like asking to fill your 17 gallon gas tank in under 90 seconds....unlikely...

I think oil and filter companies like to scare customers!

I wonder if there is any honest data by engine model on true oil flow rates and pressures....

Subaru Service Manual says their turbo engines flow 14 GPM at redline - it's been talked about many times in this forum over the last 5+ years. Yes, engines can and do flow way more than what you think, and journal bearings flow way more oil then you think, especially at high RPM. And like I mentioned earlier, there are other components beside journal bearings that require oil flow.

You have a point, but how many of us redline an engine on a day to day basis ?

Racing, sure and lots of rebuilds between races.

But for street use, manufacturers like to scare customers into more service then they need. IMHO

If Subaru didn't think their engine needed 14 GPM a redline, then they would have put a smaller oil pump in the car.

Even is an engine is only pushed to redline now and then, the oil filter still needs to be able to flow that much oil without going into bypass or collapsing due to the delta-p across the media at the high oil flow rate.

Here's a Flow vs Delta-P curve for a Purolator PureOne done years ago by Purolator in their laboratory that's flowing hot oil (represents 5W-30 oil at full engine operating temperature,200~210 deg F). As you can see, it's capable of flowing a lot of GPM.

PureOneflowdata.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back