Dextron versions (totally confused)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I looked on my shelf of lubricants and stuff this morning before heading off to work. I need to do some consolidating!

My 1998 Chevy Van calls for Dextron III in the 4L80e automatic transmission.

I found have a partial gallon of Coastal DEX/MERC, half a gallon of O'Reily's DEX/MERC (which I used the other day), a couple of quarts marked just "Dextron III" and a partial quart of Dextron IV.

I tried to research if any of these could be mixed or substituted for Dextron III and all I can find is for use in manual transmissions.

Plus Wikipedia say Dextron IV never existed, yet I have a quart of it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON

The question is can I combine all of these together and use it in my van's automatic? This may sound like overkill but my plan is to put about 500 miles on it since I changed the filter, pull the drain plug out and dump it, refill it with fresh fluid, see if the fluid on the dipstick is red, flush once more next time I change the engine's oil.

I would put a B&M drain plug in the pan - toss the nylon washers for copper crush washers.
The pre Dexron VI trans like that can use Mobil 1 ATF ...

That all sounds like it will work fine but after you use up all the old stuff get some fresh Dexron 6, it doesn't matter what brand as long as it's licensed the Supertech at Walmart is just as good as the stuff at the dealer and only about $4.25 a quart

Of course I would also recommend Maxlife dex/merc if you have that available in gallon jugs it's a better value

Quote:

Take a picture of the bottle front and back and post it here.

GM jumped from Dexron III-X to Dexron VI for a number of reasons.

Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124

No, you don't. Look at the bottle again. It says Dexron VI (note the order of the I and V). Wikipedia is right; there is no such thing as Dexron IV.

Yes, you can mix them all together and use them in your transmission.

GM Automatic Transmission Fluids

Dexron Type A, Suffix A
Specification introduced in 1957. It requires the oil to meet certain limits regarding its kinematic viscosity.

Dexron IID
General Motors Dexron®-IID Specification. ATF issued in 1975. Contained ATF cooler corrosion requirements not listed in Dexron® - II.

Dexron IIE
General Motors Specification Dexron®-IIE. ATF issued in 1991 requiring improved low temperature performance compared to Dexron®-IID, 20 000 cP at minus 40 °C.

Dexron IIIF
GM specification for Automatic transmission oil introduced in 1994. Successor of Dexron IID and IIE.

Dexron IIIG
Successor of Dexron III(F) automatic transmission fluid. This has the same low temperature characteristics as Dexron IIE, but with modifications to anti-oxidancy and friction material. Introduced in 1997.

Dexron IIIH
Dexron III licence H was introduced in June 2003 to replace the Dexron III G fluid. It has an oxidatively stable base oil (group 2 or group 3). Oils according to this specification have longer maintenance of friction properties and anti-shrudder properties, better foam control and a longer fluid life.

Dexron VI
Specification introduced in 2005 to replace Dexron IIIH. This specification requires better stay-in-grade properties, oxidative stability and anti-foam characteristics. Oils meeting this specification can be used with extended drain intervals and are energy conserving.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

Wasn't one of them to avoid naming confusion with Toyota T-IV and Mercon V?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I would put a B&M drain plug in the pan - toss the nylon washers for copper crush washers.
The pre Dexron VI trans like that can use Mobil 1 ATF ...

I was going to get a B&M drain plug but the guy suggested this one. The problem is it uses an O-ring as a gasket which is easily crushed. I could possibly use a copper crush washer but will most likely made a gasket out of Gore-Tex material and a hole punch. That stuff will seal anything!

Probably should have went with the B&M...

71XOYWpYslL._SL1178_.jpg

Quote:

It was 6:00 in the morning but I swear the bottle said Dexron IV (4). If it is, I'll snap a photo of the bottle. If it is Dexron VI, I'll correct my mistake.

RL sells a D4-named product but very clearly states they developed it for Dexron II,III, Mercon and
Mercon V. I wonder if other companies' marketing have done the same and created confusion?

Quote:

It was 6:00 in the morning but I swear the bottle said Dexron IV (4). If it is, I'll snap a photo of the bottle. If it is Dexron VI, I'll correct my mistake.

Great looking Fiats in your photo bucket. You're a REAL wrench!
04.gif
Seriously though it's great to see people preserving those. I'm just a dillitante compared to most on the board and I really admire you guys that go all the way down the rabbit hole.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Quote:

Great looking Fiats in your photo bucket. You're a REAL wrench!
04.gif
Seriously though it's great to see people preserving those. I'm just a dillitante compared to most on the board and I really admire you guys that go all the way down the rabbit hole.

Thanks!

You are correct guys, it was Dexron VI, not Dexron IV that I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back